Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cutting In - Help

• 22-10-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi there

I have some painting to do. I am fine at all the prep i.e. Cleaning, sanding, repairing the walls etc. My problem is the cutting in at the ceiling...I'm useless at it. Is there any tool out there that helps and is actually decent? I've seen one online Accubrush but the reviews are really bad.

Any help appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Use the lighter blue frog tape (instead of masking tape) on the surface you are not painting and remove it as you go. I.e. if doing the ceiling, tape the wall, cut in at the ceiling and then remove that strip if tape and move on.

I tried various brushes, etc but that worked out the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

I would be much the same as the op great man for getting paint on the walls just not so good at cutting in, i've tried everything from those cutting in rollers to plastic straight edge tools and masking the hell out of everything! got chatting to an old painter in work one day and got the secret, a really good quality brush, i spent about €20 on the one i have its 2 inch wide with decent length bristles it picks up a fair bit of paint but gives a sweet edge when cutting in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

The only tool that will help you is a good brush with a sharp edge. A 3 inch synthetic brush similar to this would make it much easier. You should be able to get a decent one in any good paint store.
    If you put on the paint a bit below the ceiling line and work it up towards the ceiling as you spread it you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

Thanks everyone, I suspected alright that the cheap crappy paint brushes don't help. I will invest in a decent one as suggested and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

dmc17 hit the nail on the head. You need a good brush and I would also recommend one like the one dmc recommended. Purdy's a fantastic brand too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I got a nice brush like this in Woodies when I was painting my house, its far and away my favourite brush. Its a bit more expensive but the angle and finer bristles really makes cutting in easier.

326332.JPG

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

That's the best type of Brush to use as you can see the Bristles instead of looking over your knuckles as you go.
    A couple of other tips paint the ceiling 20 or 30 mm down onto the Wall. Then if you don't get right up tight to the ceiling it's not so noticeable. It's also important to be high enough with a steady footing underneath. The other tip is look just in front of the bristle and to move quickly. It's like a lot of things takes a bit of practice but is not difficult to master.

Advertisement