Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

joining into gully under concrete?

• 22-10-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

i need to join into a rain water gully which is under a 4" slab of concrete on my back street ,now i know exactly where the 4" existing wavin pipe is under the slab but just need advice on how to get down to it and join into it?
    do i consaw a square out of slab?or whats the best/neatest way?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

Cut a square with the con-saw, dig into the pipe, take T or Y junction, cut off half of the straight piece of it, slap it on the pipe, mark circle on the pipe, take off the halved junction, cut off marked circle with hole cutter/vibration saw, glue halved junction onto the pipe, let it set well, connect, patch the concrete.
    I hope its clear enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

i need to join into a rain water gully which is under a 4" slab of concrete on my back street ,now i know exactly where the 4" existing wavin pipe is under the slab but just need advice on how to get down to it and join into it?
    do i consaw a square out of slab?or whats the best/neatest way?
    thanks in advance
    You need a ground opening licence/permit and insurance to dig on a public road from the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭specialized105

scudo2 wrote: »
    You need a ground opening licence/permit and insurance to dig on a public road from the council.
    its my back street of my house...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

its my back street of my house...
    aka back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I've done this a few times. There's no easy way you're going to have to take up a few slabs and dig a big hole to expose the pipe all round. Then cut a section out of the fixed pipe roughly equal to the new fitting less one collar. You most likely have to cut a V in the top of one side of the fixed pipe in order to provide movement to allow the fitting to go into place.
    Then centralize fitting and Glue a collar of pipe to the fixed pipe to both seal and stop any later movement from the water flow. Job Done.

The other way if you have access to a Lathe is to get two connectors and get the center stop machined out of them. then use them as sliding collars. Then when in position glue a piece of pipe at the back of the Connectors as a stop using Wavin weld. You could also machine the stop out of the fitting you're trying to fit and do the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement