Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Expanding foam explosion house ruined

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 baz321

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Hi . After a long delay from insurance adjuster dragging his feet and leaving us in limbo ie.holes in the roof for Christmas and constant calls to his office which he never returned .this is common practice by insurance adjusters to delay to make you more keen to take their lower counter offer .anyways the insurance company covered the repair costs to the house and the house is only just back to where it was pre incident .as for Bostik they did nothing ! The last email I sent them asking what they were doing to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again wasn't even replied to .
    I have contacted the hse and have acknowledged my complaint case number etc i followed it up recently and still nothing .i came across a similar case online where an art student used expanding foam in a basement on an art project ,the projector ignited the gas given off by the foam and fire went up the air ducts spreading it .it caused €25 million worth of damage .luckily no one was hurt !

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/nov/26/glasgow-school-of-art-fire-foam-canister-report

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Is the can marked "for professional use only"?

Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 baz321

Mech1 wrote: »
    Is the can marked "for professional use only"?

Just wondering.

No sign of "for professional use only " on the can . Bostik sell expanding foam to tesco according to their technical rep who did a site visit .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

baz321 wrote: »
    .i came across a similar case online where an art student used expanding foam in a basement on an art project ,the projector ignited the gas given off by the foam and fire went up the air ducts spreading it .it caused €25 million worth of damage .luckily no one was hurt !

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/nov/26/glasgow-school-of-art-fire-foam-canister-report

Bummer. I used to go in there quite a lot - open house to anyone for a nosey and interested in what was going on. I didn't know the cause of the fire until now.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When I was a kid we used to use discarded aerosol tins in a sort of home made mortar bomb.
    We would be burning rubbish in a barrel, we had a length of old cast iron rain down pipe.
    Prop the pipe up in the barrel with its end down on the ground, stick an aerosol down at the bottom, bit of clay in on top and then a handful of stones/pebbles. You'd be surprised how much fun this is and how much force it produces :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

_Brian wrote: »
    When I was a kid we used to use discarded aerosol tins in a sort of home made mortar bomb.
    We would be burning rubbish in a barrel, we had a length of old cast iron rain down pipe.
    Prop the pipe up in the barrel with its end down on the ground, stick an aerosol down at the bottom, bit of clay in on top and then a handful of stones/pebbles. You'd be surprised how much fun this is and how much force it produces :D

I can also confirm that craic was had with that method, we even set up targets!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Just to add to this in a small way. I was called out to an emergency one Friday good few years back. Lady of flat was using deodorant , after using it she mistakenly put deodorant on hot plate on electric cooker and walked into sitting room.

Now when I got there the devastation it caused was like something out of a movie. All her windows were blown out of her 2nd story flat, 3 doors totally taken off the hinges. It was unreal to see. She stood at sitting room window when blast happened but luckily didn't get blown out of window. It was mad though when I got there she had loads of cards on top of fireplace and TV and not one had blown over..:eek:

Advertisement