Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KKVs Rav4 project

• 28-12-2013 1:09am

Howdy folks,

Probably a silly question, but you always hear of and see cars being lowered, left, right and centre, something I don't really like the look of myself, personally, but it seems a common enough thing to do.

I was wondering, can you raise/lift the rear of a car?

I have a Toyota Rav4, which seems to be slightly taller at the rear anyway (owing to it's suspension system Im guessing? My mechanic lifted it up before to get a look under it and the rear wheels hung down a lot lower than the front ones?).

I love the 'tilted forward' kind of look. The A-Team Van is a good example of what I mean:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmQzjBqmuvKu3GA2QVT8Cq8szfsVpV6nC5qLsNSzgmTfzbFf2c

(I know thats a pretty obscure reference point, but I actually think it's the A-Team van that made me love that 'tilted forward' thing).

But I'm wondering is it do-able in real life? I'm not talking about the rear being 2 foot taller than the front on big stilts, I just mean a small, but noticeable, lift.

I googled around and I see that people seem to get their jeeps, suvs, etc. lifted a fair bit (usually by 2-3 inches? Would that even be noticeable? Not sure I see the point in such a marginal lift if you're doing the whole thing?)

So what I'm wondering is, is this something that any old mechanic can do for you, and aside from appearance, will it have any impact on the driving of the car itself? And does it require bigger tyres on the back if it's done?

There's a Rav website I went on via google when i went looking for info on this, but I couldnt really find anything.

Also, if it is a real thing that can be done, is it expensive?

I presume this is a fairly rare question, so not sure if anyone would actually know, but if it's relatively inexpensive, easily reversible and doesnt have a huge impact on the car itself, I wouldnt mind giving it a shot to see what it would be like.

Rav4 is pretty much my first car (well, second, but i was never really mad about the first one) and I don't see myself changing it for a while (after 05 toyota changed the design and it's gotten poorer and poorer looking since. These days it essentially looks like a really fat, bloated car).

So i figure, seen as im deeply in love with it and plan to keep it forever and ever (or until something else catches my eye), i may aswell play about with it a bit and try out the different things that pop into my head (for future reference if nothing else).

Cheers to anyone with any info on this. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

what you need is a "lift kit".

if you just google "rav4 lift kit" there's lots of stuff :)

i assume it could e applied to just the rear of the car but i'd say it'd play havoc with the driving dynamic/ handling of the car.

1-1.jpg

what you need is a "lift kit".

if you just google "rav4 lift kit" there's lots of stuff :)

i assume it could e applied to just the rear of the car but i'd say it'd play havoc with the driving dynamic/ handling of the car.

Would the rear being a bit taller really have any impact on the car's handling? I know you're raising the centre of gravity and it'd be more likely to topple over (which is not really likely, anyway).

I must take a more in-depth mooch on Google.

Also, is it just me or are the wheel arches on the Rav in your post a bit different looking? Wonder where they came from!? :confused: They look good (aggressive). Probably used for putting wheel spacers on? Something I've also considered until hearing its an NCT fail :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd say an RAV4 is front heavy. A positive rake on a car like that (front lower than back) will reduce the traction in your rear wheels possibly giving you a bit of oversteer.

That said, unless you're going to lift the rear suspension dramatically, i'd say the most you'll have to contend with is increased wear in the suspension and tyres on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Would the rear being a bit taller really have any impact on the car's handling? I know you're raising the centre of gravity and it'd be more likely to topple over (which is not really likely, anyway).

I must take a more in-depth mooch on Google.

Also, is it just me or are the wheel arches on the Rav in your post a bit different looking? Wonder where they came from!? :confused: They look good (aggressive). Probably used for putting wheel spacers on? Something I've also considered until hearing its an NCT fail :( )

It wouldn't be the fact it's taller, it's more the fact you're now using different suspension front/rear. It's just asking for trouble tbh. The same reason nobody lowers just the front or rear of a car. The handling would be absolutely horrendous.

As for spacers, if you use proper hubcentric bolt on ones they're not a safety issue.

eibach-bolt-on-wheel-spacers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn't your rav4 have odd tyre sizes front/rear already?

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be the fact it's taller, it's more the fact you're now using different suspension front/rear. It's just asking for trouble tbh. The same reason nobody lowers just the front or rear of a car. The handling would be absolutely horrendous.

As for spacers, if you use proper hubcentric bolt on ones they're not a safety issue.

eibach-bolt-on-wheel-spacers.jpg

For some reason, I recall reading somewhere that spacers are an NCT fail for some reason? Or is it something to do with the wheel not being allowed protrude further out than the arch? Something along those lines?

Do any spacers fit any wheels? Any reputable websites? :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Doesn't your rav4 have odd tyre sizes front/rear already?

Always on the ball, Colm :)

Indeed, it does have smaller tyres on the front and larger (correct-sized ones) on the back. This does cause a small bit of leaning forward, but it's not really noticeable to be honest. The tyres aren't really that far apart in size. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Very popular mod in the '70s in America for muscle cars. They put longer leaf spring hangers on the back to raise the back of the car. It gave the cars more of a drag racer look. The suspension in your car is a good deal more complex though so I don't know what you caulk do other than buy a lift kit and only fit the rear as suggested. I'm not sure how a rear lift effects the handling of car but the Amarecans didn't seem to care at the time :)

Can I ask ye guys aswell, instead of making a new thread (should've probably just called this a general rav thread, as I've always a million questions)..

I want to swap out the radio in the Rav4. Mine is 2004, so as far as I'm aware, all 01-05 Rav4s are the same. I popped into halfords as I like the look of one of their double din units, but when they check their book for the facia/fascia (not sure how it's spelt) they can only give me one that's single din with a little storage pocket underneath.

So I found a facia adaptor on amazon, but im not sure if it'll work or not. I'm looking to swap the unit out as soon as possible, but this is annoying me as I've no idea where I really stand with it.

This is the Rav interior (well, mine's not the same, the layout is slightly different, but the radio unit is the same one)

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Toyota-RAV4_2003_1024x768_wallpaper_22.jpg

This is the unit i want:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=11101&langId=-1&productId=916749&catalogId=15551

And this is the Amazon adaptor:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TW7MLK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Would anyone have any idea? I don't want to buy a double din unit if it turns out I can only fit a single din anyway.

Cheers. :)

Nah, the adaptor you're looking at is the right idea.

Consider this sony unit though. Your interior illumination is orange, the blue will stand out in the wrong way

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sony-WX-GT90BT-Double-Din-CD-MP3-Car-Stereo-iPod-iPhone-Front-USB-Bluetooth-/251272094767?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a80fbe42f

Ah so it will work?!

Perfect!

From reading amazon, the one Im looking at in Halfords lets you change the colour of the display, so i can go with Orange. I also have €200 on one of those One4All cards (which Halfords accept) so I'm gonna use that up. I'll buy the adaptor off Amazon and then go from there (get my mechanic to fix it.. don't quite trust Halfords for some reason!).

• Advertisement

Cool stuff, video here
    http://youtu.be/Qt34op69Z-4

Don't forget the wiring adaptor. Halfords have them but amazon is cheaper.

I like the fact that it has an external mic for the Bluetooth, a lot of cheaper ones have the mic in the front of the radio.

You should DIY this, the rav4 interior is so simple to take apart.

Is it really that simple? I was looking at it in the car on the way home and I can't see any obvious points on the dashboard around the radio where it would unclip or pull off or such?

I wouldn't mind DIYing it to be honest. Worst case is i break the facia (i think? I think it needs to be cut to size?) and that's only around 15 euro to replace if i do that.

Do you know of any instruction manuals or online guides that would be worth a look?

I was offered the wiring harness in Halfords but turned it down. The Facia is not expensive enough to get me free shipping, so I'm gonna see if Amazon sell the harness for it too, to see if i can get the free shipping.

It's easy enough, you just need to cut the facia filler bits at the back because the stock bracket goes out at 90° from the stereo to where it bolts on to the dash, you don't have to be precise at all.

You will need a socket extension to reach the lower bolts holding the stereo in.
    Handy tip for these bolts - stick some paper into the socket before pushing it into the bolt and it'll stop the bolt falling down into the inside of the dash (very likely)

Well I can't really picture it in my head at the moment, but I'll toy around with it when I get a chance (tuesday I'd say) and I'll see if I can even pull the other one out (to see how it all goes together).

If Halfords can do it, then I'm sure I can, too. :D

Probably should have bought the wiring harness in Halfords, too, though. Not sure what I'm looking for on Amazon at all. I think this is it, though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-PC2-17-4-Audio-Harness-Adaptor/dp/B000XUQZ4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388335996&sr=8-1&keywords=toyota+wiring+harness

So to change the head unit out, is the actual radio itself, the facia and the wiring harness all I need? There aren't any other bits that I'll discover at the last minute, are there?

You might need an antenna adaptor, that's often included with the stereo.

This will show you exactly what you need to do

http://youtu.be/O7FRl9RM8mY

This will show you exactly what you need to do

http://youtu.be/O7FRl9RM8mY

Hmm.. Looking at the content of the video itself makes it all look rather simple, to be honest. It's the other stuff he seems to do off-screen I wouldn't have a clue about (disconnecting battery, soldering, etc.)

I'm sure I'll learn how to disconnect a battery after 5 minutes on Youtube, but soldering.. is that entirely necessary?
    :(

Might just give it to my mechanic after all.

You won't have to solder anything because you'll be buying the ready made wiring harness.

Ah right. That's grand then. I suppose I can at least take the radio out and try to bang the new one in. I'll have loads of time, but it's going to kill me waiting on Amazon to ship the facia adaptor to me. Wonder do Motor factors stock them (i'd be very doubtful). Suppose the sooner I order it, the sooner I get it.

Can I ask you Colm, seen as you're so clued into this kinda thing, is this the right harness I need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-PC2-17-4-Audio-Harness-Adaptor/dp/B000XUQZ4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388335996&sr=8-1&keywords=toyota+wiring+harness

I may just bite the bullet and order them off Amazon and wait it out. Just annoying me having the Radio in it's box beside me. :(

Seems grand to me anyway

• Advertisement

Meh, typical, they won't post it to me (outside the UK).

Ah, I think I'll just settle with Halfords for it. I think it's €13 which is a bit rich, but at least I'll have it then.

Still have to spend money on Amazon to get the facia with free shipping (not paying £5 for postage when I can spend £10 and get free shipping! :P )

Actually, they'll ship this.. is this the same thing?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-SOT-062-Accessory-Interface-Toyota/dp/B002LYM114/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1388363110&sr=8-5&keywords=toyota+harness

(I assume it is?!) Will also go towards the free shipping as its from Amazon themselves :D

I bought this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LYM114/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TW7MLK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this (my current one is wrapped in sellotape after it collapsed in pieces with very little force :( ).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BWUWS6G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon reckons it'll be January 8th before I get them :( Looks like a long wait ahead, so... *twiddles thumbs*... dooo dee dooo...

:pac:

I'm still interested in getting those spacers...

Thanks everyone for all the help so far :) And you expecially Colm, you've been hand-holding me since before I bought the Rav4. I genuinely do appreciate all of your help.

Colm you mention earlier about the lower bolts falling inside the dash.. In an entirely hypothetical situation where someone managed to actually drop an entire screwdriver in there.. What would you advise such a person to do? Is it relatively easy to find things down there?

That would never happen had the person been warned beforehand.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding the bolts again but surely the screwdriver should be visible?
    You can get telescopic magnet yokes for these situations.

That would never happen had the person been warned beforehand.

Jokes, aye? :p:o

:D

Thankfully enough, I unscrewed some of the plastic/dash along the passenger footwell and, much of a miracle as it is, out popped my friendly neighbourhood screwdriver!

I was shocked but I was adamant I'd find it. Couldn't possibly live with the noise of that rattling around when driving. :o

So on the plus side, I've never done anything even remotely like this before, but I now have a (seemingly) functioning, brand new head unit. It does, however, seem a bit more complicated than the previous one, so I'll be looking for guides on how to get the most out of it.

On the minus side... I've lost my steering wheel controls!? Is this normal? Toyota's controls are a bit terribly laid out (in comparison to the Focus I used to have anyway) but I used them a lot and I already feel a bit lost without them.

Huge thanks again to everyone by the way. And Colm specifically (not taking anything away from the rest of ye guys, but Colm has been helping me an enormous amount since before I even got the Rav4), is there anything I can do to thank you for all of your help?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

You can probably get an adapter to regain steering wheel controls. Several uk companies selling connects2 adapters. Incartec is another brand. Your new head unit woud need an input for those controls tho, so check the spec of that first.

Struggling to get an adapter for my own car at the mo. Have only had SWC for 2months but would hate to be without them now!

I must take a look and see. I'll pop into halfords and see if they have anything off the shelf. I'll pull it out again sometime and take a mooch at the wiring though. It's entirely possible that I just happened to miss something obvious. First time trying it, and all.

Seen as I have created a general 'KKV Moaning about his Rav' thread;

Was just wondering if I could ask ye guys a quick question (that you may or may not be able to help with). Mostly relating to accessories that are taped onto cars and whether or not they can be re-used.

I want to get the tail light covers that the 04 Rav4 "should" have (ie; the ones that are supposed to come with it, presumably as part of an extras pack.. as far as I am lead to believe anyway).

They are a grid-like design, fairly inobtrusive and look pretty good (in my opinion). Series of straight lines.

All I can find on the net, however, are these knock off ones:

http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/toyota-rav4-chromed-rear-tail-light-covers-948

(I don't like them. They look too chunky and the 'cheese grater' style of section in the centre looks poor, in my opinion).

So I've concluded that the best way to get these (only way, perhaps) is to take them off another Rav4 thats already got them?

There's a Rav i see a fair bit, always parked in the same place, that has them. I was considering offering to buy them off the owner. so what I wanted to ask was - Can these come off a car? and if so, are they re-usable?

I can just picture me trying to take them off and them breaking in half whilst i do so, or getting them off, and they wont stick to my own car. I presume they're made of plastic, so I'm just not entirely sure the best course of action.

I do want them though. i think the rear of my car looks a bit bland without them, and as I say, I like how subtle they are, as opposed to the ones I can find online that are a bit too 'in your face' in comparison.

(I can't seem to find a photo of the ones I want online.. maybe i have it the other way around and the ones i want are knock offs and the ones i dont like are the genuine ones!?

By the way, got the rear of the car lifted.. on a jack.. momentarily.. haha. Does look good though when it's leaning forward a little. For some reason, when it was being NCTed (yesterday, passed with no issues), they had it jacked up at the back ever so slightly (wheels still on the ground). Not sure what they were doing with it, but it looked quite good, I have to say.

Considering it supposedly affects handling though, I won't bother to pursue it.

86A9C1CDAA69408EA53BA23C6D93708A-0000333410-0003475016-00800L-9811C93B0A2744E2B8927B810697AF6B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Raising your car even 2 inches allows much greater clearance for 4WDing/off roading. It allows you to fit bigger wheels/tires for better traction. You've only got the FWD version so raising it for any reason other than off roaring purposes is pointless. Not to mention the fact it would depreciate the vehicles value having the arse of it raised up to a potential buyer. They'd be thinking why the hell would you just raise the back of the car? What other crazy stuff has been done that I can't see?

As for the tail light guards it's an idea to look on eBay Australia. Much bigger market for Rav 4's here so easier to find products. Prices will be higher but the exchange rate should balance it out.

Advertisement