Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British and Irish Lions vs Western Force, Wed 5 June 11am; Sky Sports 1

• 04-06-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

British and Irish Lions:
    15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Brian O'Driscoll (c), 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 George North, 10 Jonny Sexton, 9 Conor Murray,
    8 Jamie Heaslip; 7 Sean O'Brien, 6 Tom Croft, 5 Ian Evans, 4 Alun-Wyn Jones, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Rory Best, 1 Cian Healy.

Replacements: 16 Tom Youngs, 17 Mako Vunipola, 18 Matt Stevens, 19 Geoff Parling, 20 Toby Faletau, 21 Ben Youngs, 22 Owen Farrell, 23 Sean Maitland.

Western Force:
    15 Sam Christie, 14 Dane Haylett-Petty, 13 Ed Stubbs, 12 Chris Tuatara-Morrison, 11 Corey Brown, 10 Sam Norton-Knight, 9 Brett Sheehan,
    8 Richard Brown, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Angus Cottrell, 5 Phoenix Battye, 4 Toby Lynn, 3 Salesi Ma'afu, 2 James Hilterbrand, 1 Salesi Manu.

Replacements: 16 Hugh Roach, 17 Sione Kolo, 18 Tim Metcher, 19 Ben Matwijow, 20 Lachlan McCaffrey, 21 Alby Mathewson, 22 Nick Haining, 23 Junior Rasolea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

A walk in the park for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

keith16 wrote: »

Sexton vs Norton-Knight sums it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Who in that team should we be keeping an eye on?

Any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Norton Knight, easily one of the worst tens I've seen in the S15

Sheehan is a decent 9 though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

keith16 wrote: »

The only thing going for them is that they'll be a bit more organised than the Barbarians so a 51 point win may be a bit of a push for the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    The only thing going for them is that they'll be a bit more organised than the Barbarians so a 51 point win may be a bit of a push for the Lions.

Indeed. It's not a good WF side but they'll be fairly pumped and the Lions have an entirely new team playing together for the first time. I think the bookies spread of 37 is a bit generous to the Lions. Can see them winning by about 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Very Disappointing to be honest.
    The lions are going to tear them to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm going to this and the combination of the Force team plus the venue has really soured any excitement I had.

On the one hand it looked like Rugby WA wanted to make the most of the game by moving it to Subi Oval to get a bigger crowd but then the Force send out this half arsed side because they want to prioritise a dead rubber at the weekend :rolleyes:

Good thing I only got the cheapest tickets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah this is in the Subiaco?

Could be a real dour atmosphere unless the Lions lads get drinking early! Hopefully you enjoy it though!

• Advertisement

I might be wrong but I think BOD becomes the first man ever to captain the Lions on three separate tours tomorrow. I'm probably forgetting someone very obvious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Buer wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think BOD becomes the first man ever to captain the Lions on three separate tours tomorrow. I'm probably forgetting someone very obvious...

Did he captain them in South Africa? I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Against the Golden Lions he was captain :)

Yup. Along with DOC, POC and ROG.

http://www.lionsrugby.com/history/match_archives.php?section=lineups&fixid=56513

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Yes - in the second match of the tour against the Golden Lions, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I was surprised they even named a team that strong. Their captain is playing, and the whole team is pretty awful anyway. Besides they're trying to avoid last place in the S15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

matthew8 wrote: »
    I was surprised they even named a team that strong. Their captain is playing, and the whole team is pretty awful anyway. Besides they're trying to avoid last place in the S15.

They did beat the Crusaders :o:o:o

19543261 wrote: »
    Who in that team should we be keeping an eye on?

Any?

Most of their good players are rested or on Wallabies duty. Alby Matthewson in the reserves played a few tests for the ABs at scrumhalf, and has been having a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm going to this and the combination of the Force team plus the venue has really soured any excitement I had.

On the one hand it looked like Rugby WA wanted to make the most of the game by moving it to Subi Oval to get a bigger crowd but then the Force send out this half arsed side because they want to prioritise a dead rubber at the weekend :rolleyes:

Plus Origin is the only game in town in Oz tomorrow, nobody really gives a monkeys about this game...

toomevara wrote: »
    Plus Origin is the only game in town in Oz tomorrow, nobody really gives a monkeys about this game...

That's true, alright. From bitter experience having lived in Aussie myself, you'll find 5 pages devoted to the league and 1 paragraph in small font next to the classifieds dealing with the rugby.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Do post a review!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Swiwi wrote: »
    That's true, alright. From bitter experience having lived in Aussie myself, you'll find 5 pages devoted to the league and 1 paragraph in small font next to the classifieds dealing with the rugby.

Ah, I can but dream...;) It's all about Origin for me tomorrow...consistently some of the greatest rugby, of either code, I've ever seen. (recent QLD dominance notwithstanding)...anyway I digress....

toomevara wrote: »
    Ah, I can but dream...;) It's all about Origin for me tomorrow...consistently some of the greatest rugby, of either code, I've ever seen. (recent QLD dominance notwithstanding)...anyway I digress....

That Ray Warren and his fairytale/Cinderella spiel when Alfie Langer made his glorious comeback is some classic commentary. Can't find it on youtube, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Even with unlimited support from Fox, Fairfax and NewsCorp, this tour barely registers with anyone outside of Syd and Brissie and the rugby union playerbase. I don't even think its on anything but Fox for live coverage. Maybe it is on channel7, but in my years of living in Australia, it's a fairly select game, even during the Eales stewardship.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Even with unlimited support from Fox, Fairfax and NewsCorp, this tour barely registers with anyone outside of Syd and Brissie and the rugby union playerbase. I don't even think its on anything but Fox for live coverage. Maybe it is on channel7, but in my years of living in Australia, it's a fairly select game, even during the Eales stewardship.

Yeah, I remember well when I touched down in Ireland from Aussie, and the relief, pure relief, to find out the newspapers actually covered rugby! And not too badly either!

In Aussie, if it's not league, it's Aussie rules, and it's not Aussie rules, it's soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

JustinDee wrote: »

Isn't it pretty big in Canberra too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Lions 60+. Empty stadium with only Lions fans there.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Lions 60+. Empty stadium with only Lions fans there.

It was 75+ yesterday, Stev_o. Is there something in that Force team that's made you pull it back a bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

It was 75+ yesterday, Stev_o. Is there something in that Force team that's made you pull it back a bit ;)

I am convinced the ref will blow up the match 10 minute early in sympathy for the Force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

The Force will be well beaten but I expect a few fireworks and big hits along the way as well.

I prefer the look of this BIL back line to the one that played on the weekend so am looking forward to watching.

Advertisement