Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holiday in Belfast...tips please

• 31-07-2012 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am travelling to Belfast next week for a 5 day stay with a 9 year old. Just me and her. I am planning on driving to Enniskillen and getting the Translink bus into Belfast because I'm not too comfortable driving in the city itself.

I've sussed out the timetables but there are no indications of fares so wondering if someone can give me a rough idea?

Some plans for the trip are W5, Titanic exhibit, zoo, day trip to the Giants causeway.....any other items I should consider?

It's my first holiday alone with her so am a bit nervous and apprehensive but am looking forward to it too.
    I've been in Belfast before, about 5 or 6 years ago so I've a good sense of the city (I think) but now with kiddy in tow, it will be a whole other type of holiday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

W5 is superb you'll both love it!

If you get decent weather the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum at Cultra is worth a trip. not far out of Belfast.

Haven't been to the Titanic thing yet.

Giants causeway, again dependant on weather. don't bother if it's wet. I believe it was Swift who said the causeway was worth seeing, but not worth going to see...... a bit harsh, but if its lashing, go to the cinema instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I would advise you to drive to Belfast. 5 days in Belfast is a long time and with a car you'd be less limited to what you might wish to see and do outside the city itself (eg, Ulster Folk & Transport Museum at Cultra, the Zoo/Belfast castle, Exploris in Portaferry etc.)

Driving in the city is a dawdle, much handier than getting public transport which is crap and fairly expensive. And you won't be at the mercy of **** timetables and infrequent services and route confusion. You won't have to do much driving in the actual city centre - it's small and easily walkable. Plus, the road to Belfast from Enniskillen is handy and motorway practically delivered into the centre.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

+1 for Drive to Belfast.

Belfast is a much easier city to drive in than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Botanic gardens and the ulster museum - both worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Aunt Sandra's Hnadmade Candy Chocolates & Fudge has been on my to do list inBelfast for some time. And you can get to see them make the chocolate and sweets. Others on here might have been there, but I will get there eventually - http://www.auntsandras.com/page/2/the-experience/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

robo wrote: »
    Aunt Sandra's Hnadmade Candy Chocolates & Fudge has been on my to do list inBelfast for some time. And you can get to see them make the chocolate and sweets. Others on here might have been there, but I will get there eventually - http://www.auntsandras.com/page/2/the-experience/

That looks like my kind of place :D

I won't be there on a Sunday though so won't get to do the "experience" but I will mark it on my "to-do" list.

Thanks for all the other suggestions too. Am really looking forward to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you're going to the Giants Causeway bring your car. The Causeway is actually quite small but there is a walk with more patterns like the Organ and other 'bits'. There's a few other sights in the area which you would really need a car to get to like Dunluce Castle and the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge. Then you could have bite in somewhere like Bushmills maybe doing a distillery or some other tour, finishing up with a drive back to Belfast via the Glens of Antrim with its spectacular scenery and rollercoaster road.

Your 9 year old might also enjoy a trip to Carrickfergus Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

+1 to driving, Belfast public transport is pretty rubbish - especially if you intend going to the Causeway which is 60+ miles away.

Advertisement