Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

i doubt I'll use the bridge too often, so €40 forkout for the tag is a little pricey. €2.50 a pop isn't too bad, video account will do me fine :)

Curious about their video recognition working on the front or back of cars, if its the front I might take off me plate :) It might be front only, and thats why they won't be charging motorbikes cause they have to front plate. Interesting.

I already use these guys to park electronically in Limerick, but it's basically €26 for the tag plus 10% of each charge so €2.20 vs €2.50.

Looks a better offer than most which charge a monthly fee even if you buy the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,546 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dublin Airport long term parking got the first digit (decade) of my nearly new and very clean and clear and standard registration plate wrong. It reckoned it was a 96 but it's only an 86 I'm afraid. Hopefully the toll gantries use the same technology. If so, happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Are you not in your 7 series no? or is Killian still driving it :)

There should be some protest or challenge against the bikers using it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There should be some protest or challenge against the bikers using it for free?

Why begrudge those who get what should be rightfully theirs? :) It should be free for everyone, it's been paid for.

• Advertisement

We can hardly protest against the government about it.

Everyone bitching for years about getting rid of the tollbridge, what were we thinking. Abolish the toll is what we should be saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

This system has to be the biggest scam yet..

everyone who uses it will keep their head down, mute and get walked over.

Can't you see who this really benefits? does it benefit you?
    People in this country are softies.

You'll be spending 2, maybe 4x times more on this rubbish than before, why? i ask.
    Nobody should be paying anything, you already pay road,fuel tax..every ****ing other tax..refuse to pay!! they can't jail you all!

and if the put the barriers up again, take them down!! power to people! ;)

...sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Went through the barrier free toll this morning (Northbound), but didn't hear the familiar beep from my Eazypass while passing under the cameras.

Anyone else notice (or not notice) a beep?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We can hardly protest against the government about it.

Everyone bitching for years about getting rid of the tollbridge, what were we thinking. Abolish the toll is what we should be saying.
    This system has to be the biggest scam yet..

everyone who uses it will keep their head down, mute and get walked over.

Can't you see who this really benefits? does it benefit you?
    People in this country are softies.

You'll be spending 2, maybe 4x times more on this rubbish than before, why? i ask.
    Nobody should be paying anything, you already pay road,fuel tax..every ****ing other tax..refuse to pay!! they can't jail you all!

and if the put the barriers up again, take them down!! power to people! ;)

...sheep

Just out of curiosity, were the government to abolish the toll, by what means do you propose that they recover the lost income or (realistically) what service should be abolished?
    The reality is that because of greater demands, financial mismanagement, etc. within national and local governments, there is less money hence the bin charges, etc. If there is even less money to pay for things then something suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ninty9er wrote: »
    No idea.

I must set up an account too. Not that it'll be used that often, but I'm not going to pay €3 instead of €2 out of sheer laziness.

Do you not need to either set up an account (with a minimum amount of money kept in it) or buy a tag in order to only pay €2?

I have never driven through the toll bridge myself, the girlfriend has driven through it maybe 4 times in the last 3 years, so not registering the cars thus paying the 3euro seems like the best way for us to deal with the new scenario. Am i wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

R.O.R wrote: »
    Went through the barrier free toll this morning (Northbound), but didn't hear the familiar beep from my Eazypass while passing under the cameras.

I went through it twice on Saturday - northbound and southbound.
    It beeped both times.

Amazing to cross over the M50 this morning and see absolutely no queues whatsoever stretching from the toll plaza back down the M50 towards the Red Cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

So what's the general opinion of how the barrier-free tolling is working?? I'm abroad at the moment but would be interested to hear whether its solved the M50 problems or if its been f all use at all!!!

Heroditas wrote: »
    I went through it twice on Saturday - northbound and southbound.
    It beeped both times.

Amazing to cross over the M50 this morning and see absolutely no queues whatsoever stretching from the toll plaza back down the M50 towards the Red Cow!

Were there any queues on the m50 at all? How far on it did you travel and did you travel at rush hour?

cormie wrote: »
    Were there any queues on the m50 at all? How far on it did you travel and did you travel at rush hour?

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I don't travel on it in the mornings because I come in the N4 and head into Palmerstown. However, the queues for the M50 northbound lane on the N4 used to start way back near the Deadman's Inn. However, those queues weren't there this morning.
    Apparently a guy on the radio said it took him 30mins to get to work this morning instead of the usual 70-90mins.

Are the schools back yet or is it not for another few days?

Are the schools back yet or is it not for another few days?

A lot of them were back last week and the rest should be back today.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

R.O.R wrote: »

I used the M50 twice yesterday north and south and didnt hear the beep. Wonder if it failed? Ill know when i get a call to court :D

That's good to hear it's flowing well anyway :) Wonder what the red cow area is like though. Took me half an hour to get from the m50, up the ramp, onto the N7 going west on Friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

kbannon wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, were the government to abolish the toll, by what means do you propose that they recover the lost income or (realistically) what service should be abolished?
    The reality is that because of greater demands, financial mismanagement, etc. within national and local governments, there is less money hence the bin charges, etc. If there is even less money to pay for things then something suffers.

Maybe by managing their cash flow, plugging some of the leaks and making the civil service work for their money, instead of sucker punching Joe Public every time they need a fresh cash injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

That's good to hear it's flowing well anyway :) Wonder what the red cow area is like though. Took me half an hour to get from the m50, up the ramp, onto the N7 going west on Friday :(

It will be interesting to see what the N7 outbound will be like once m50 is complete. I know road upgrades are done in stages etc, but will be disappointed if the newlands cross junction upgrade doesnt happen shortly after the m50 phase 1 is complete, like whats the point if this doesnt happen!!. Though I wont be holding my breath...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It will be interesting to see what the N7 outbound will be like once m50 is complete. I know road upgrades are done in stages etc, but will be disappointed if the newlands cross junction upgrade doesnt happen shortly after the m50 phase 1 is complete, like whats the point if this doesnt happen!!. Though I wont be holding my breath...

Its gone to tender, but the gas works (which have started) need to be finished first - these appear to be using much of the land thats going to be used for the new alignments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 U-Turn

I posted this elsewhere but it seems this is the correct thread for all M50 posts.

We've created this site http://www.operationfreeflow.com

There is also a dedicated M50 users forum http://www.operationfreeflow.com/forum

Many users seem to think they can do nothing.

This is not surprising since our Government in its comfortable arrogance has ignored all but the private interests in this deal for 18 years.

The commuter has never featured highly in Government priorities.

This would explain why there was no political will to help people on this matter by removing the barriers and toll a long time ago. My guess it would have been a massive vote winner. Yet nothing, not a whimper from the political parties.

Shane Ross has pointed out that even Bertie said they would never buy out the toll bridge. It was a classic case of shooting fish in a Barrel and we all took it willingly as coined it for years.

We hope that people with broad knowledge and shared experience will use operaitonfreeflow.com as a issued focused website that can do what only web technology can do, united the divided.

Tolling is not in the interests of the traveling public even with the arguemtns of costs of service many posters have pointed out that argument simply falls on its face. This is the case that the only arterial route for Dublin City is unjustly tolled.

Its high time time the users of the M50, those who have invested the most amount of capital of any identifiable group via Tax & Public Tolls where allowed to enjoy what they rightly now deserve.

To use a public bridge freely.

Just imagine if O'Connell Bridge was tolled (or even the Ha'penny.....;) )

Tolls are not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I know the options for that cross roads was either to have the n7 go over a bridge or have it as an underpass. I remember reading some where that a councilor was hoping the solution 2 as the bridge would be raised by 9meters in height

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

damo9090 wrote: »
    I used the M50 twice yesterday north and south and didnt hear the beep. Wonder if it failed? Ill know when i get a call to court :D

I'd say that it won't beep any more.
    The tags dont beep on every toll road, eg the M8 Fermoy bypass.
    But you still get charged :)

My eTrip unit still beeps on the M50 under the new system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

kbannon wrote:

Are you saying they spend the toll money on a service!! what is it.. the health service? :p

(realistically) i can't see them working that one out..are they working by the way? no..hrmm, thats a problem, wouldn't you say?

To answer your question, as Victor_M says, they could better manage the money..but we can't expect that, can we? ffs, its not like we can expect them to run this country, can we?

thats why they're on a well deserved holiday..

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Ok I would like to hear peoples comments on how we can beat the system from simply throwing muck on your reg plates down to EMP :).

As I said before we own this so why on planet earth should we be throwing away money on something we own??

If everybody would slow right down coming up to the array of cameras & drive on top of the car in front they will never be able to get a reg ID.

If some volunteers would come forward we can make this happen we only need one driver per lane and slow down to 5mph going through the toll area.

Can anybody confirm that these cameras mounted on the gantry are just for the tag or do they capture reg data aswel?

Can someone create a jamming signal if they use wireless?

Can we plant a virus somehow into there system??

I have to laugh I think its so funny that 95% of people would go back to a shop assistant if they where 1Euro short yet all of you are being screwed by thousands over the yrs and you are doing nothing about it?

CRAZY!!!!!!

So ideas people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 U-Turn

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Ok I would like to hear peoples comments on how we can beat the system from simply throwing muck on your reg plates down to EMP :).

Well we have a 3 Step Payment guide that will cause a lot of questions and red faces if everyone adopts it, its really simple and you are not breaking the rules but if everyone uses the bridge nd chooses to pay as outlined below it will become unfeasible within a matter of days.

Step 1 Do not purchase or use any prepay options.

Step 2 Use the M50 as normal.

Step 3 Pay via the telephone service by Dialing 1890 50 10 50 at exactly 7.45pm the following day.

Use this payment method every time you use the Toll Bridge.
    Sorry for the big table.

http://operationfreeflow.com/3-steps-payment-plan/

We also hope to have a poster for users to print later this evening and hang in their car.

www.operationfreeflow.com - For a Toll Free M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Mr CJ wrote: »
    If everybody would slow right down coming up to the array of cameras & drive on top of the car in front they will never be able to get a reg ID. If some volunteers would come forward we can make this happen we only need one driver per lane and slow down to 5mph going through the toll area. Can anybody confirm that these cameras mounted on the gantry are just for the tag or do they capture reg data aswel?

If people suddenly dropped to 5pm on a motorway to save €2.50 on a toll, you'd find the charges for dangerous driving and increased insurance premium would offset the toll :)
    Can someone create a jamming signal if they use wireless?

They contain both tag readers and cameras to capture the reg plate on the rear of the car. If you could jam the signal from your tag, you'd have successfully managed to increase the charge from €2.50 to €3.

Great ideas though :)

Advertisement