Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cashel to Cahir N/M8 Opening date?

• 15-06-2007 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

I know this stretch of road is not officially due to be completed till 2009, but this section seems almost complete. What are the chances that it will open before the end of 2007? And the stretch down to the interchange near the Kilcoran Lodge Hotel to open by mid 2008?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

*Bump*

I was driving from Dublin to Cork this weekend and I noticed that the signs along the old N8 road between Cashel and Cahir have been changed from N8 to R639. Also they've put up new signs on the Cashel bypass (with the straight ahead N8 Cork blacked out at the moment), and the turn off you normally take for Cork marked "R639 New Inn".

Also I saw a sign advertising something about a 10K road race this Sunday along the "new N8". Interesting. You could be right about the section opening before the end of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would be interesting if they does this in stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Where is the crossover from M to N gonna be? Or will they have they got the whole new stretch (to the start of the Cashel bypass) as M?

I know it was originally planned to be halfway along, but with the NRAs reclassification to motorways thing are they gonna open the whole thing as M?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

motorway's to stop north of Cashel, somewhere on the cullahill to cashel section maybe 10km south of culahill iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IIRC, the M8 becomes the N8 about 1-2km inside the Tipperary / Kilkenny border. One of only 2 sections of motorway outside Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I too wondered about this opening.Just the other day I came up from Kilkenny (Up towards the Capital of course......:-) ) and noticed that the signs for Cork actually are directing you onto the new section east of Cahir even though you cant physically follow then as the road is coned off....

however my bet is they finish the whole section towards Mitcelstown before opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the section Cashel to Cahir is to open this Monday (15 Oct 2007).

Will try to dig up the link - but is was not an "official" source.

Aquavid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I hope it will have a speed limit of 120 km/h when its done whether its opened as N or M. Its great that they are opening a bit of it a lot sooner than expected of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

E92 wrote: »
    I hope it will have a speed limit of 120 km/h when its done whether its opened as N or M. Its great that they are opening a bit of it a lot sooner than expected of course.

Only Motorways can have a 120kph speed limit, the max on any N road is 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

the max on any N road is 100kph.

I think you mean that the default on a N road is 100Kph. The road can have a special limit of 120kph, as the likes of the N1 or N2 already have. A new N8 should have 120kph if it is essentially designed to motorway standards.

• Advertisement

ucdperson wrote: »
    A new N8 should have 120 km/h if it is essentially designed to motorway standards.

It should be called the M8 since it is built to Motorway standard.(HQDC)

All the N8 which is DC is Motorway standard bar the Cashel bypass, and the bit from the Dunkettle roundabout to Silver Springs in Cork.

There is no reason why any of this(I mean the Motorway standard bits, sorry for the confusion) can't be reclassified to Motorway and have a limit of 120 km/h.

Dunkettle to Silver Springs has a rake of private access, dreadful curves, no hard shoulder and a ton of big potholes - I doubt that will be M anytime soon ;)

Cashel bypass will prob be Motorway though if they reclassify, Standard DC is really up to the task in my opinion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Depends what you mean by standard DC though. At one extreme you have the likes of the R136 with its roundabouts, traffic lights, and right turns galore. Or the old standard DC style like the N11 Stillorgan Road which has plenty of the above also. At the other extreme you have the Ennis bypass which apart from one or two LILO junctions is nearly HQDC standard. I personally wouldn't give the 120kph speed limit to anything other than a HQDC (which should really be a motorway anyway) or one of the very high standard DCs, like parts of the N18 and N11.

The Roads Act 2007 should really allow the classification of the entire N8 between Dunkettle and Watergrasshill and Fermoy to Urlingford to motorway once its completed (remebering that Portlaoise-Urlingford will be motorway anyway as it is being built under a Motorway Order, as is the already opened Fermoy bypass). From what I saw of the Cashel Bypass last time I drove it I don't see much in the way of problems with making it motorway, there were no LILOs, right turns, or private accesses to cause problems (if there are, then we have a problem). If there is a design speed issue slap a 100kph speed limit on it like the M50 will have, but otherwise designate it motorway.

Stark wrote: »

Also I saw a sign advertising something about a 10K road race this Sunday along the "new N8". Interesting. You could be right about the section opening before the end of the year.
    I saw that.There was one of them on the Gorey by pass about a month before it opened.It could be opening sooner that you think.

I noticed on the north bound end of the cashel bypass a huge tailback heading a mile or so into the bypass and a mile or so north of the by pass due to the roadworks.It was hardly moving at all.
    That was on friday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

motorway's to stop north of Cashel, somewhere on the cullahill to cashel section maybe 10km south of culahill iirc
    Correct - Motorway will go as far as Urlingford with DC south of that, though presumably the whole N8 (except Glanmire) will become M soon enough, as it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

What was the point in calling the Fermoy bypass a motoroway? doesnt make much sense to have a few KM of motorway in the middle of a DC.

X.

xabi wrote: »
    What was the point in calling the Fermoy bypass a motoroway? doesnt make much sense to have a few KM of motorway in the middle of a DC.

X.

120km/hr speed limit without the need for the council to get off their ass and put in a special speed limit.

No risk of private accesses appearing as corrupt/incompetent county councils grant planning permission.

No unqualified drivers or tractors/cyclists/pedestrians (legally speaking anyway).

More perceived value for your toll ;) (My theory as to why the Fermoy bypass and the Portlaoise-Cullahill sections will be M when everything else is going to be N).

So is this open today or whats the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

So am i right in saying that the M8 will be the shortest motorway in Ireland at 17KM? and there will be 2 M8s, one around Fermoy and the other from Portlaoise to Urlingford?

Yes basically :D

But with HQDC connecting them (eventually), expect the HQDC to be reclassified to M (eventually).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,728 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

xabi wrote: »
    So am i right in saying that the M8 will be the shortest motorway in Ireland at 17KM? and there will be 2 M8s, one around Fermoy and the other from Portlaoise to Urlingford?

M11 is only about 5km (though the junction numbering suggests that part of the M50 will eventually become M11, maybe if/when the eastern bypass is built).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The M9 is about the same lenght as the M11, but winning the prize for shortest motorway with an signposted number is the M6 at less than 2km long. The N32 section under motorway regulations is even shorter at 500m, but the number M32 appears on no road signs so there's some debate about this.

Of course, if reclassification goes ahead, the M11 can reclaim its prize as the shortest signposted motorway as both the M6 and M9 will be extended in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Sorry to return to the topic of the thread but did the road open today or has anyone got anymore info on the opening date?

Nothing on Breakingnews.ie anyway. :(

Anyone know if it has a speed limit appropriate to the type of road it is?(ie 120 km/h)

I have this very bad feeling that it has a limit of a mere 100 km/h.

Still though, every extra mile of Motorway standard road has to be welcomed, even if it is almost a year later than when the Government said it would all be done way back in 2000.

Good news :D

Half of the scheme is opened here according to that, Cashel to Cahir. The other half, Cahir to Mitchelstown is to open in a few months. Impressive assuming the original contract said it wouldnt be open till 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speed limit is 100 kp/h so don't get too excited.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Half of the scheme is opened here according to that, Cashel to Cahir. The other half, Cahir to Mitchelstown is to open in a few months. Impressive assuming the original contract said it wouldnt be open till 2009.

I take it the Cahir bypass is included in that piece that is open today/yesterday?

• Advertisement

Common sense would tell me yes, they'd include the bypass, but thats just a guess :)

Advertisement