Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voluntary Redundancy in AGS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They may not need to.

A lot of experienced members are retiring

So if they get the numbers to where they are supposed to be, no need to fund a redundancy program

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

danb24 wrote: »
    Does anyone here think they should offer voluntary redundancy in order to cut the numbers in the Gardaí?

There's no need. Thousands can leave over the next few years, and they will.
    They won't be replaced, so numbers will fall naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Why would you offer redundancy when your staff are already walking out the gate in droves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Why in a country that (I hear) good jobs are like hens teeth, would staff be walking out in droves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Zambia wrote: »
    Why in a country that (I hear) good jobs are like hens teeth, would staff be walking out in droves?

Large numbers reaching retirement age, and each year they stay hits them harder in taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

RT66 wrote: »
    Large numbers reaching retirement age, and each year they stay hits them harder in taxes.

Plus the pension changes coming into affect next January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

ste88m wrote: »

Plus many many many other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This;
    RT66 wrote: »

And this;
    ste88m wrote: »

We're the same in the defence forces.

Already personally I'm at breaking point, and with 27 years service I'm thinking of marching out the gate to protect whats left of my pension and grat.

I'm sick of it now and feel like staying on is just digging myself an early grave and I'm sure its as bad in some units in AGS?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 danb24

is there anyone you could speak to that would offer you a package to take redundancy? they might give you the full whack just to reduce another number

is there anyone you could speak to that would offer you a package to take redundancy? they might give you the full whack just to reduce another number

Michael Noonan. Or maybe Alan Shatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Have you read the previous posts?

Why would you pay someone extra to leave when they're doing it already?

AGS's problem is going to be keeping their numbers up........not getting them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Paulzx wrote: »
    Have you read the previous posts?

Why would you pay someone extra to leave when they're doing it already?

AGS's problem is going to be keeping their numbers up........not getting them down.

+1 They are getting scarce enough without trying to make things worse. Maybe a package to get them to stay longer would be a better idea. I know a few members in their early fifties that are leaving. Thats too young alltogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

They did the same in the early 80's. Recruitment embargo; the job only recovered from that in the 00's.

Exodus now is due to more than pension/pay. The sense of disillusionment and low morale is the over riding factor. I've 27 years done, I think I'll never get out. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Britt Reid

+1
    have a look at garda inspectorate report on resource allocation here

http://www.gsinsp.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=39

go to appendix 4 for service profile

over 3,000 members with 25 yrs or more service, then big drop in members with mid-service and then huge increase in members joining recently

it's already been announced that there is an embargo on recruitment for the next 2 years at least

i'm only making the point that a lot of gardai could retire in the next few years and will not be replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Retirement for me was more about low morale and insane workloads than anything to do with pensions etc. Garda management seem totally indifferent to the low morale issue and are significant contributors to the problem themselves.

I feel a bit sorry for members presently in the 10 - 25 year range of service. I would have loved to have stayed on as I found policing itself a wonderful and rewarding job but as another poster stated above it was digging my own grave - just not worth the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tomo536

The good jobs are not as well paid anymore thats why people are leaving in there droves

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tomo536

Their pensions are being decimated the longer they stay

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

3years to reply wow what an old thread

Advertisement