Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Hey I don't get the MOD hat because of looks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

deisedave wrote: »
    I just applied I am 21 so hopefully the age requirement might help me out a bit. :D

In fairness its not their venue their advertising for - It is a friends venue in Belgium and that seems to be there requirements :)
    To be honest and not just saying it because I used to work there but they are only doing good on their end by offering it to Waterford people...........
    The age is a matter of the other venue and nothing to do with themselves.. :cool:

kryogen wrote: »
    name and shame??

I just figured out who ya are :) haha

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Elbows22 wrote: »
    In fairness its not their venue their advertising for - It is a friends venue in Belgium and that seems to be there requirements :)
    To be honest and not just saying it because I used to work there but they are only doing good on their end by offering it to Waterford people...........
    The age is a matter of the other venue and nothing to do with themselves.. :cool:

They are advertising for a place in Belgium? Ha ha I thought Brussels Central could be like the name of some venue/pub up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

Cvs should be sent to Michael Shortt of Avello... Proprietor of Shortts/Crystal, not some Belgian mate. In Irish employment law, he is the man who is hiring. Very silly and very dangerous, and people are right to be peeved when they see it on the Crystal page.

• Advertisement

eiresandra wrote: »

Cvs should be sent to Michael Shortt of Avello... Proprietor of Shortts/Crystal, not some Belgian mate. In Irish employment law, he is the man who is hiring. Very silly and very dangerous, and people are right to be peeved when they see it on the Crystal page.

Avello is the parent company. There is nothing in that statement that technically says he is the one doing the hiring(which he's not) - it just states he is the point of contact for the position.
    Because the bar is in belgium does that mean the owner must be belgian? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

You can throw as many technicalities into the equation as you like, but I can't imagine there would be a huge difference between Irish and Belgian employment laws given that most employment and equality laws were pushed through by EU regulators.

Even leaving that aside, you should be able to see what's wrong with it and why people in an area decimated by unemployment this year would be pissed off. Would it not be wiser to accept all cvs and forward on the appropriate ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

eiresandra wrote: »
    You can throw as many technicalities into the equation as you like, but I can't imagine there would be a huge difference between Irish and Belgian employment laws given that most employment and equality laws were pushed through by EU regulators.

Even leaving that aside, you should be able to see what's wrong with it and why people in an area decimated by unemployment this year would be pissed off. Would it not be wiser to accept all cvs and forward on the appropriate ones?
    Would that not just be wasting peoples time in writing a cover letter and sending in a CV?

Now I'm not saying that the ad is correct, it's not and it looks to me as if it's breaking employment laws.

Here's a question, that someone here may be able to answer.

If the job advert was to say "applicants between 20 and 25 preferred" would that also be considered breaking the law?

I ask that as you'd often see jobs advertised with one or two skills down as preferred on the job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Is Irish law even relevant as its for a job in another country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Post was still there about 45 minutes ago when I commented but gone now. Guess they saw sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Stupid thing they done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Elbows why do you think he's not
    Doing the hiring? He's one of the owners of the venue.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Post was still there about 45 minutes ago when I commented but gone now. Guess they saw sense.

Were there many comments on it before it was deleted out of interest?

Elbows why do you think he's not
    Doing the hiring? He's one of the owners of the venue.

He's the owner of Shortts/Crystal alright but where the jobs are available he does not own.........

He does...

He does...

;)

So apparently in addition to the place that he runs with another chap in belgium...there's another place opening up that he's not involved in?

You have to say far play to them for opening so many places and creating a good few jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

So apparently in addition to the place that he runs with another chap in belgium...there's another place opening up that he's not involved in?

You have to say far play to them for opening so many places and creating a good few jobs.

the fear I have here though is if he's spreading himself too thin, we have seen this before....TG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

Got to say, the Mojo Lounge is so far exceeding expectations, the crowd is building each week and it is soooooo nice to work in a bar where the customer is polite haha!!

;-)) no comment!

Got to say, the Mojo Lounge is so far exceeding expectations, the crowd is building each week and it is soooooo nice to work in a bar where the customer is polite haha!!

;-)) no comment!

All depends on what you mean by building,
    Compared to Escape more than 5 people could be considered building.

I have to say the advertising for the place was misleading stating it was a return to the Roxy days with the music, I visited the place and it was anything but the music that was played there, same ****e as revolution only quiter !!

It's ok in there but it's certainly not a venue for over 23s or over 30s for that matter.

Maybe the cougars of the town finally will have a place to prowl 😘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sonyvision

G S R wrote: »
    Would that not just be wasting peoples time in writing a cover letter and sending in a CV?

Now I'm not saying that the ad is correct, it's not and it looks to me as if it's breaking employment laws.

Here's a question, that someone here may be able to answer.

If the job advert was to say "applicants between 20 and 25 preferred" would that also be considered breaking the law?

I ask that as you'd often see jobs advertised with one or two skills down as preferred on the job description.

Dont know why they now want 20-25 I bumped into a staff member who works in crystal who is only 18...
    maybe the poor chap will be getting sacked :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ziedth wrote: »
    Were there many comments on it before it was deleted out of interest?

I reckon they had been deleting comments before that. There were only two comments before mine and then it was gone. I did include a link to the citizen's information section on discrimination though so maybe that broke them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I just figured out who ya are :) haha

You have me at a loss so :)

Was in crystal last night for the gig in there, was sum night anyone else go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

Nypd wrote: »
    Yeah, just a pity for the first bands that it got full(er) only late that evening. So they did not get attention they deserved. IMHO

MFZ wrote: »
    Nypd wrote: »
    Yeah, just a pity for the first bands that it got full(er) only late that evening. So they did not get attention they deserved. IMHO

Missed the first band myself, caught the gig from chimpanbee up, twas a good gig, nice to the bands on a decent stage

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Anyone know how the Muldoons revival night went in Harveys?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Anyone know how the Muldoons revival night went in Harveys?
    It was packed and people seemed to enjoy the music so it went pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Another Muldoons revival weekend at Harveys seen as the last one was MASSIVE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

I think it could be the 3euro drink rather then the music that brought in the crowd.Hopefully it keeps going well anyway

Advertisement