Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

1161718192022»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

How did you get on zippysno1fan ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ZippysNo1Fan

Hi Runner 1! I haven't got the letter of rejection yet but I can feel it coming haha! I'm cringing thinking about some of the answers I gave in the interview :( Think I did well in the written test but I know the interview brought me down. Have you done yours yet?

Im well past that stage thank god, had it at the start of september , have all my meetings done aswell, just waiting on clearance and medical now. let us know how u get on

Rachie26 and ZippsNo1fan , Have u had any word back yet ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

Do many get rejected at interview for the Reserve??, was always under impression if you applied to this voluntary position to help out in your spare time they'd be delighted to have you, no??. Even if u weren't the brightest they could get u to do a bit of filling in the station or answering phones. Also I know a lot of people who are just terrible at interviews doesn't mean ure no good. Interviews are something that need to be practised these guys are pros in techniques in getting u out of ure comfort zone nd talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

Jimmymcnulty86 they cant just let any1 have a uniform and off u go just cuz its unpaid means nothing its like trying to become a special in england and infact if you do 208 hours u get E1000 in allowances so if they let evey1 at it they would be handing out alot for a unpaid body . I have a few things that i have got off other forums on boards Facts and figures for you .
    'One in a Hundred

Yvonne Moran
    Irish Daily Mail Saturday, April 7, 2007

One in a hundred Embarrassment as astonishingly low pass rate for controversial Garda Reserve force is revealed

FEWER than one in 100 people who applied to join the controversial Garda Reserve last year were accepted into the part- time force. Just 73 of the 7,358 applicants for Garda Reserve jobs were successful, according to the annual report of the Com- mission for Public Service Appointments.

However, if recruitment continues at the current rate, it will be seven years before the Minister's target of 1,500 reservists is met - a goal he had intended to be reached no later than this summer. Reservists, who can be aged up to 60, have the powers of arrest for road traffic, public order, and theft and fraud offences.

Applicants who tried for the regular Garda Síochána had a greater chance of succeeding than those who had applied to be reservists. A total 1,120 people were accepted as trainee Gardaí out of 9,100 applications last year.'

http://www.herald.ie/news/recession-drives-1700-to-apply-for-garda-reserves-27947210.html

This show 1700 applied in 2009 about 200 -250 got in maybe, Since the section of the force started a good 20,000 people could have applied for this role and we have nearly 1000 garda R , and they wanted to get to 1500 by 2011, just shows you NO they defo just dont take anyone , and im gald they dont because you get fools doing it purely for the power. Rant over lol

My mistake didn't know that. Must be a difficult enough interview / recruitment process then?? Have noticed a couple reserves round my area nd they looked very young (late teens/early20's) / not very physical or intimidating but if there the best 1/100 fair play to them must be more to them than meets the eye as I think was said before on one of these treads there's more to being police than being a big tough guy your not working a nightclub door

The day i had my interview there was about 30 of us in the room doing the report test, i kept in touch wi 2 other lads, they didnt get in and they were twice the size of me so it defo not about size or age cuz im 20 and they were in there late 20s, its all about how much you want it and how well u talk urself up . you only here about the people that get in on this, one or two do come back on and say they were unlucky loads dont . I think the people that do come on boards and i was one of them and look for help with the interview, are the people that really want it and they do well ,Thats why so many boards users do well cause i like to think its cuz the advice got on this , i no i past on the great advice i got off people on this :D

Really, would of thought the more mature lads would of been more attractive to them they could of had a I know it all attitude though nd were impressed by ure enthusiasm as u said, its hard to talk ureself up in the right way though tried to do it in a couple interviews over the years nd sounded like a cocky twat:)
    Really is hard to pinpoint what type of personality they want these days used to be able make a gard a mile off

Practice makes perfect :) Are you goin for the GR force urself ?

• Advertisement

Considering trying for full-time but applying for reserves nd being successful there would be more realistic, then maybe full-time in couple of years. NEED a career change badly!!, always found crime, serial killers, organized crime weirdly interesting so might be something I could get into(if that doesn't make me sound too weird at interview:) )

I dont think it sounds weird atal, its your reason , we all join the force with different ones and thats what makes people stand out my advice would be Go for both :) I myself am sticking with the Reserve for now , what i herd is that for the next recruitment drive not the one coming up now, it may be like the uk ,Reserve members as like the specials in the uk will be exempt from the entry application and just get offered interviews and this will happen as GR do so much policing in ireland, as its been put foward twice now >>> http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-11-05a.1761&s=garda+recruitment , <<<

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rachie26

Hi Runner1!! No I didn't get it, I new myself da written went bad, I was nervous enuf as well which didn't help?? I think it was for the best anyway!!

Really sorry to here that Rachie26 :( if i was you id ask for feeback and try again :) Not every1 that is a Garda or Garda R, made it in with there 1st interview im it sure could of taken some a few gos , i dont think you shud give up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rachie26

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Really sorry to here that Rachie26 :( if i was you id ask for feeback and try again :) Not every1 that is a Garda or Garda R, made it in with there 1st interview im it sure could of taken some a few gos , i dont think you shud give up on it.
    Ahh its all good :) I'm doin exams now at da min,, so wanna fin my coarse den try again. I'm going 4 da Garda siochana wen dey recruit next month. I'm not gonna give up on my dream :) it was my 1st ever big interview so not to worry. I new myself so I was fine about it. How's it all goin for u??

Thats the way, never give up :) ahhh grand now waiting on medical id say be another wile , but all good things come to those who wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Hi Folks,

I did exam and interview in Athlone back in Jan '13. All went well thank god, just wondering if anyone else who was in Athlone that day has got any further ie. medical etc?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gazzamcl

Hi guys, I'm looking for some help. This Saturday (23rd May) I have a test in Dublin for the stage 3 of the garda recruitment process. In this test it's a repeat of the online tests I done in previous stages which I found handy enough, anyway I'm more concerned about the report writing exercise as I have never done one before. I'm curious to know from people who have already done this exercise would they show us what they're expecting of us when writing it or is it you're thrown in to do it yourself? And another thing I want to know is are the interviews on the same day? If so can someone who has done the interview lately go into more detail of what they asked and how you replied? Thank you :)

gazzamcl wrote:
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some help. This Saturday (23rd May) I have a test in Dublin for the stage 3 of the garda recruitment process. In this test it's a repeat of the online tests I done in previous stages which I found handy enough, anyway I'm more concerned about the report writing exercise as I have never done one before. I'm curious to know from people who have already done this exercise would they show us what they're expecting of us when writing it or is it you're thrown in to do it yourself? And another thing I want to know is are the interviews on the same day? If so can someone who has done the interview lately go into more detail of what they asked and how you replied? Thank you

Hey , This is the Garda Reserve thread the layout of interview and exam is much different , best ask in the Garda recruitment thread , :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gazzamcl

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Hey , This is the Garda Reserve thread the layout of interview and exam is much different , best ask in the Garda recruitment thread , :)

Sorry just thought I would ask since the heading mentioned the written report just thought I could get a few tips. Thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 megan smyth

Hi
    can anyone help please with a bit of advice on how to answer the Job simulation and Report writing exercise correctly for stage 2 in abbey street please for the Garda exam. please and Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grootbaas

Hello All
    Could anyone tell me how long the interview is that takes place after the written part, as I am arranging transport etc? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Skydiver1961

Added some of my views for what they are worth. They may have changed the format for the interview since I did it (8 years ago) but they should stick to the script.

Remember they will assessing you from the moment you step in the door so few things to remember,

1. Walk in confidently
    2. Introduce yourself by name.
    3. Shake each panel member by the hand and keep eye contact ( their name should be written in front of them)
    4. Use first names for the civilians but address the garda member by his/her title ( Inspector , Superintendent etc)
    5. Don’t take a seat until they offer you one
    6. Take your time
    7. Answer the questions directly , don’t waffle
    8. If you don’t understand the question , ask them to repeat it
    9. Drink the water , your throat will get dry because you are nervous and it will give you time to compose yourself and think
    10. Make sure you are dressed smartly , hair combed , clean finger nails etc
    11. Keep your hands on your lap in front of you (don’t be waving them all over the place)
    12. At the end of the interview they will ask if you have any questions Have one at least……. E.G how long will the process take in order to progress to the next stage / will you be notified by email/ letter or phone call etc
    13. Last but not least you want to leave them with an excellent impression , so before leaving , shake each one by the hand and thank them for their time and for the wonderful opportunity to attend for interview. You need to stand out from the other 50 or so applicants they will see or have seen on that day

Advertisement