Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Directories

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's very interesting. Thanks again Shane.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hi shane. Is there any mention of James's Walk in the directories. From 1912 - 1916 I can't find mention of the road on the census and just one or two mentions on the Irishgenealogy church records.

My paternal great grandfathers address was James's Walk on one of his son's marriage records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hi shane. Is there any mention of James's Walk in the directories. From 1912 - 1916 I can't find mention of the road on the census and just one or two mentions on the Irishgenealogy church records.

My paternal great grandfathers address was James's Walk on one of his son's marriage records.

had a quick look at the records on IrishGenealogy - all a little earlier than the 1900s, St. James Walk, St. James Walk G. Canal, and St. James Rope Walk - all St. James RC parish.

I suspect that it was either adjacent Grand Canal Harbour or Basin, or along the extension of the canal leading to these. Will look into this further..

p.s. what occupations do the two give on the marriage cert ?

Ah they were all laberours so I dont expect they'll be in the directory.

I was just wondering if the road was in the directory as it is not in the census.

Hermy wrote: »
    Shane, would you mind checking another Thom's entry for me whenever you get a chance?
    Military records I recently acquired for Francis Monks lists his next of kin in 1869 as his mother, then with address an address at 9 Londonbridge Road, Ringsend in 1869.
    I'm curious to know what entries if any Thom's might have for this address in 1869 and the years either side of this.

Thanks

looks like parts of the street were still being built at that stage - the 1869 listing only shows number 1 to 8, then 'building ground' and a J.J. Bleakley esq. without a street number.

The names are revised by 1872, but the same basic structure to the street.

No Monks mentioned. I'll post the names, or a scan, latter in case any sound like they might be related.

• Advertisement

from an initial look at maps, there are three Rope Walks in that area that I think might be possible matches in the James' Basin, Grand Canal Harbour area.

see : http://www.swilson.info/maps/dublinenvirons_c1880_N.php

One is located between the Basin and Harbour and just south, the other is nearby just after the canal extension starts to head west, and the third further west beside Harcourt bridge, before the junction with the main canal.

will have a further look in directories..

see below for scan of the 1869 and 1872 listings for Londonbridge Rd.

The first listing I found that specifically mentions a number 9 Londonbridge Rd. is the one for 1877, where it's listed as Mr. John James Dillon.

279261.jpg

Thanks shane. Those old maps are fantastic.

I suspected that maybe the James's Walk could have been the "old" name for a road that locals still used at the time.

The search continues.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Shane.
    For what it's worth, here's the two images which reference Londonbridge Road.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks shane. Those old maps are fantastic.

I suspected that maybe the James's Walk could have been the "old" name for a road that locals still used at the time.

The search continues.

I had a look through a selection of street indexes from the 1860s through to about 1920, nothing specific listed for a 'James's Walk' St. James Walk or St. James's Rope Walk that I could see. The indexes show more streets than the actual street by street listings, and include minor streets and many addresses that were part of a street e.g. terraces etc, so an address is more likely to appear there.

Will keep an eye out for anything...

If the St. James parish area fits, than I suspect it may be one of those three streets I mentioned or at least something close to those, maybe was later listed as part of one of these streets or adjacent ones e.g. the the Canal Bank Towing path or the one that was part of Basin Lane

I've a 1904 City street Index here

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Shane.
    For what it's worth, here's the two images which reference Londonbridge Road.

Pic 1

Pic 2

if I'm reading those correctly his mother at the Londonbridge Rd. address was still valid up to when he married in 1874, and his wife seems to be his new n.o.k. ... so listings might just miss her between 1872 and 1877, unless she was not head of household at the address...

I dont have anything that covers years between the key dates I've mentioned. It's quite a narrow timespan so might be worth checking newspapers for anything - although watch for spelling of the street with a space and without, sometimes with a dash, sometimes under Sandymount, even though it's really in Irishtown townland..

Might be worth looking at the Cancelled Valuation books - although it's probably a long shot, as she would need to have been head of household, or owner to appear in these.

I suppose it's possible that people treated one of those houses without numbers shown in '69 and '72 as 9 and 10.

I'll check a few slightly later dates just in case any Monks show up..

Thanks for everything shane

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Shanew, would you know if, for example, a shopkeepers name is given, in Thom's, in say 1900, does that indicate that the shopkeeper is
    the owner or simply renting the property.
    And if renting is there a way of finding out who actually owned the property.

pjproby wrote: »
    Shanew, would you know if, for example, a shopkeepers name is given, in Thom's, in say 1900, does that indicate that the shopkeeper is
    the owner or simply renting the property.
    And if renting is there a way of finding out who actually owned the property.

no way to tell that from the details in Thom's - which would usually show the principle occupant or person that ran the business - sometimes more than one business is listed e.g. office type buildings, solicitors etc. You would need to check the Revision books (aka Cancelled Land Books) at the valuation office to see if an immediate lessor is listed, or an occupant held the property freehold. Like Griffith's the lessor can be a middle man rather than the ultimate owner.

p.s. sometimes the Building returns on the census list the owner of the land... although it's often not completed

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Thanks for that.

Hi Shane,

Another request for you if you don't mind.
    I'm wondering about Joseph Hugh Murray, an accountant who may have been living in Grace Park, Dublin in about 1898.
    I have him in Dargle Road on the 1901 Census.
    I've been told he may have lived in Graves Park when he married and I'm wondering is that a mistranscription which should that read Grace.

Genealogy Forum Mod

think Gracepark Road, Drumcondra is more likely - cant see a reference to a Graves Park in street indexes. Will check the street listings later...

there's no specific listing in the alphabetical or trades index* for Joseph, and no Murrays as head of household at Gracepark Road Drumcondra in the two closest directories I have.. i.e. 1894 and 1899

do you know which number he is supposed to have lived at ?

surnames listed on the road in the two years

(1894 / 1899)
    1 Sadlier ditto
    2 Owens Roberts
    3 Dowling ditto
    4 Weiss Hickey
    5 Geoghegan ditto

(* there are indexes for Chartered accountants, accountants & auditors , but none for bookkeepers)

Thanks for that Shane. It was just a shot in the dark based on secondhand information. His marriage cert should make things clearer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sansome

Hermy - I happened on your post and am curious to know your connection to Cornelius Pelly of 64 Harcourt Street? He was my maternal great grandfather. I knew he lived there and in fact have been in the house because, until a short time ago my dentist had his waiting room and surgery in what would have been my great grandparent's drawing room. My grandmother was born there. At some point, they moved to Landsdowne Road. It may have been directly from Harcourt Street.

• Advertisement

My maternal great great grandfather Dr. James Pelly of Eyrecourt, Co. Galway was a younger brother of Cornelius Pelly. Dr. James died in 1878 in Eyrecourt and around about the turn of the century his wife Mary Frances Thomson took up residence in 56 Harcourt Street.
    I believe Cornelius and his wife Jane O'Shaughnessy lived at 64 from the 1870's until the early 1900's before moving to Etwall 61 Lansdowne Road where they lived until his death in 1908.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Sansome wrote: »
    Hermy - I happened on your post and am curious to know your connection to Cornelius Pelly of 64 Harcourt Street? He was my maternal great grandfather.
    My maternal great great grandfather Dr. James Pelly of Eyrecourt, Co. Galway was a younger brother of Cornelius Pelly.

So you're cousins! :D

Yes! We have been chatting outside here and we are third cousins once removed (I think!). We may be able to fill in each other's blanks in trees perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bartleby101

Hi there Shane,
    Wondering if you could help me with Thoms entry search for Dublin in late 1940s/1950s. A relation had an antique shop in Liffey Street (Upper) - name may have been Kelly, Cullen, Deegan, Holloway. Father reckons the shop was close to/on site of Hector Grey's which I believe is No. 6 Upper Liffey Street.
    Anything you could find would be great.
    Cheers,

starting with 1949 - no sign of Hector Grey's at that stage on Upper Liffey St.. Just one Antique dealer, a Henry Naylor, dealer in Antiques at no. 8.

Several furniture dealers - Quinn (x2), Hanlon Fallon, Dunne

I think Hector Grey's might have switched from one side of the street to the other at some stage, there's a photo with the number showing as 26. Street numbers on Upr. Liffey St. run consecutively from no. one at the east side of the Abbey St. junction up to 16/17 at the Henry St junction and back down the west side, so 26 would be almost opposite no. 6.

Edit - just spotted Hector Grey, agent, at 57 Mid Abbey Street

1953 - Hector Grey agent, at no. 26 Upr. Liffey St. Henry Naylor dealer in antiques still at number 8, and now one other dealer in antiques, an Israel Cohen at no. 31.

In 1958, same details at 8 and 31 and Hector Grey now at 26 and no. 1. A few furniture dealers as per 1949 - Fallon (6), Hanlon (5), Dunne (14/15)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bartleby101

Many thanks for this Shane, not the straightforward outcome I was hoping for (is it ever in the quest for ancestry??) but some great info to use to trigger my father's memory again. Cheers

Shane, sorry to be sort of hijacking your thread but to get back to the Pellys of Harcourt Street talked about earlier, I have had a private message from a member annethaway and I find I can't reply privately because I have not made 25 posts here. Annethaway - would love to answer you but I can't in detail at the moment. If you want to find me another way, try Sansome House Cottage for a contact form on my website and I will try and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Berndadette

Hi Shane,

I wonder if you could help me by looking up Thoms Street Directory - for the years 1931, 1932, 1950, and 1951. I need to know who was the occupier (or Rate Holder) for number 73 Lindsay Road, Glasnevin for each of those years.

Hope you can help. I'm stuck in the far south of the country, with no access to these Dublin directories.

Here's hoping! Many thanks.

• Advertisement

closest I have are 1930, 1938, 1949 and 1953...

Lindsay Road, Glasnevin from Botanic Road to Upper Columba's Road - No. 73

1930 - Mrs. Isabela Hackett
    1938 - Mrs. Elizabeth Richards
    1949 - Mrs. Elizabeth Richards
    1953 - Michael O'Hara

Advertisement