Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spanish point Co. CLare No Overnight parking

Options
  • 25-07-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Was in Spanish point Co. Clare recently and noticed that the Council have now erected "No Overnight parking" signs along the parking area near the beach. The locals told us that the council were enforcing the rule too.
    Such a shame, lovely area and no campsites there either.
    I'm getting very sick of trying to holiday in this country with my motorhome!!!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

That is a disappointment for anybody who wants to park up for the night in a public car park in a scenic location.

I personally always use campsites in Ireland for reasons of security.

In France though I have used Aires as it is usually safer due to other campers using them also.
    I have seen many many signs in France barring Camper vans from sea fronts and everybody accepts this as normal and within the rights of local authorities.

The big difference is that facilities are provided in the locality where the local authority are content to provide them.

We do not have the same situation here and we are unlikely to anytime in the near future.
    The reasons are well known and are also unlikely to change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

denmar wrote: »
    Was in Spanish point Co. Clare recently and noticed that the Council have now erected "No Overnight parking" signs along the parking area near the beach. The locals told us that the council were enforcing the rule too.
    Such a shame, lovely area and no campsites there either.
    I'm getting very sick of trying to holiday in this country with my motorhome!!!:mad:

I assume your on about the parking spot on the side of the road heading south from the beach??.... Cos if memory serves me correctly there's always been barriers to car park.

Campsite in whitestrand a few minutes up the road if that suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

I think those signs have always been there. I'm not sure about the enforcement as there were plenty of campers parked along that road during the Willie Clancy Week although it may have been relaxed during that week due to the number parked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

I think the signs are new (and they look shiny!). Depending on which side you approach from you could actually park before seeing them. As a Clare camper van owner I'm getting pretty fed up with Clare - it is getting difficult to go anywhere. I am not even talking about overnight camping, just physically being able to get into a carpark anywhere is getting difficult - forget about going to the beach in Lahinch, Spanish Point or Fanore in peak season anyway. When we are out, my family would spend money locally - food, groceries, attractions, etc. In fact I caculated the other day that well over €1,000 a year that I would have spent on trips in Clare is now being spent outside the county.

The reasons are discussed, without actually being discussed, here:

http://clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11191:illegal-parking-destroys-amenity&catid=66:north&Itemid=56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that these signs are meaningless.

For weeks (months?) I have been trying to get an answer from Roscommon council as to what the penalty would be if I ignore them. All they keep doing is referring me to the by-law! no mention of penalties even when I ask them a direct question.

I've come to the conclusion that if asked to move on by a council official and you refused then they would have to call the gardia to enforce the rule. If you still refused THEN you would be guilty of dis-obeying a legal order to move.

So the question is: How many councils are going to have inspectors going round during the night?, you would have had to be bedded down for them to say that you were overnighting surely?. Any other time, you have just stopped for a break:D.

For various reasons I've not had to use anywhere with these signs recently but this is the basis I'll be working on.

If anyone can see a flaw in my reasoning please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

It depends on the sign - some are "no overnight parking/camping" in which case your logic applies. However, some are "no campervan parking" in which case I suppose you could get a visit during the day from a traffic warden. As you say, I wouldn't be overly worried about the practial enforcement of the legalities, I would be worried though about a disgruntled resident deciding to knock on the door to point out the signs while the kids are asleep in the back. Wildcamping is never ideal with a family anyway but these signs just create an unwelcome atmosphere which makes it not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Niall_G wrote: »
    It depends on the sign - some are "no overnight parking/camping" in which case your logic applies. However, some are "no campervan parking" in which case I suppose you could get a visit during the day from a traffic warden. As you say, I wouldn't be overly worried about the practial enforcement of the legalities, I would be worried though about a disgruntled resident deciding to knock on the door to point out the signs while the kids are asleep in the back. Wildcamping is never ideal with a family anyway but these signs just create an unwelcome atmosphere which makes it not worth the hassle.

"No campervan parking" signs are a different matter altogether but, I thought the discussion here and on the Roscommon thread was about overnight parking. Yes, a traffic warden could give you a parking ticket at anytime if the sign says no campervans.

As most of the places we would be likely to overnight are not too adjacent to houses as a rule I think it most unlikely that local residents would be any trouble. As with council inspectors, at what stage/time could you be accused of overnighting?.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

Niall_G wrote: »
    I think the signs are new (and they look shiny!). Depending on which side you approach from you could actually park before seeing them. As a Clare camper van owner I'm getting pretty fed up with Clare - it is getting difficult to go anywhere. I am not even talking about overnight camping, just physically being able to get into a carpark anywhere is getting difficult - forget about going to the beach in Lahinch, Spanish Point or Fanore in peak season anyway. When we are out, my family would spend money locally - food, groceries, attractions, etc. In fact I caculated the other day that well over €1,000 a year that I would have spent on trips in Clare is now being spent outside the county.

The reasons are discussed, without actually being discussed, here:

http://clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11191:illegal-parking-destroys-amenity&catid=66:north&Itemid=56

Just read the link and have just emailed them to point out that we are also tourists who spend money etc etc. and maybe they could provide aires...
    Maybe if lots of folks email the editor too it might get a considered debate going?....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CORKDIVA

do we not pay road tax - and when do you last see a traffic warden after 6pm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

norma.h wrote: »
    Just read the link and have just emailed them to point out that we are also tourists who spend money etc etc. and maybe they could provide aires...
    Maybe if lots of folks email the editor too it might get a considered debate going?....

Result!
    Just got a phone call from the editor of the Clare Champion to say they're publishing my letter! He seemed very sympathetic to our views.....:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement