Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Creator Challenge

• 19-12-2005 2:04am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there are a few people who post on here with varying regularity who make their own comics (I'm one of them) and I reckon it'd be cool to get more active input from them. So, what better than a comic-making challenge?

So here's the deal. As of this post, anyone interested has until New Year's Day to post and state that they want to enter. Once we get to New Year's Day, we get one of the mods to lock this thread, preventing any further entry. From that point, you have two weeks to get your comic written, drawn, inked and scanned (or just drawn if you work directly with a graphics tablet). After the two weeks, we'll either start a new thread where the entrants post up their creations or reopen this one - depending what the mods prefer to keep things from getting too cluttered. We'll decide the best comic by vote : keeping the vote restricted to entrants would prevent any silliness with duplicate accounts etc, but ideally it'd be nice to have it open to everyone. If there's enough interest we can see about posting on the Photoshoppage forum to see if any of the resident artists there want to try their hands at colouring the winning strip or something.

And now, the rules:
    1. All entries to be between 1-4 pages. Anything longer than this, and we'll have to extend the deadlines. If this idea takes off for a regular challenge, we can maybe increase the page count, but for now it seems prudent to keep the page count low so that we don't get bogged down with pages and pages of entries.
    2. Comics can be made by more than one person - if one person writes it and another draws it, that's fine. Obviously it'll still count as one entry. If we restrict the voting to entrants-only, the submitting team will only have one vote.
    3. All comics to be black and white. Again, this is to keep things simple, we can change it if people are interested enough.
    4. This is open to everyone, whether or not they post regularly in comics. The idea is to encourage more people to get interested in making comics, not make comics seem more cliquey than they already do.
    5. There will be a theme to each challenge. The winner of a given challenge gets to choose the theme for the next one (within certain constraints).
    6. I don't want to impose an all-ages limit on people, but equally if this is to be open to everyone and co-ordinated from here, we can't have explicit entries. Aim for an age range of between All-ages and 12/15. If you have to use something that may be offensive, please mention it before linking to your comic. Depending on the exact content, the mods may decide to remove it. You have been warned, etc.

So that's the idea. As the thread starter, I'm obviously in. To start things off, the first theme will be "Flight", whatever way you choose to interpret this. (And yes, I am stealing this idea from the Image "Flight" anthologies). Anyone interested, post a reply here. If you need somewhere to host your comic, you can sign up for boards space and put them there or just attach your comic to a post in the Entries thread.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for changes or improvements to the rules or how this is run, do post up. The more input we have the more fun it'll be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Hey, Sounds deadly! Really interested in this. I'll submit something and put
    the rules etc up on my site

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Drastic

Oh its on.

On like Donkey Kong.

I'm in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Update : I've been talking to Adam from Drastic Comics about this, and we reckon we should expand the scope of this challenge and see how far we can take it.

So, here's the new deal. The challenge will continue as previously detailed; however, once all the comics have been submitted and the vote on the best comic completed, we will compile some or all of the comics (depending on the number of entries) into an anthology that we will get into print and distribute for sale, with any profits going to charity.

Now, because of the change in scope of this and the proposed anthology structure of the end product, I'm going to be contacting everyone I know of that's involved in the Irish comic scene (be it writing or drawing, webcomics or print comics) because it would be nice to put something together that could be considered as in some way representative of the irish comics scene as a whole.

Obviously this isn't going to be a particularly easy task, and I'm not going to act or pretend otherwise. Therefore, if anyone has any advice or particular knowledge that would be useful in this context it would be much appreciated and remember - it's for charity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chrisfw

this is excellent, I'll definately contribute something regardless of how crap it is (my work i mean) and looking forward to the spectrum of stuff put in.
    if it's cool i'll pass the word and the rules on to a few artists as well!

i think since you don't have to pay for colour online we should take advantage of that and allow colour contributions. personally i suck doing colour anyway so either way is fine, but seeing as printing pages in colour is always a costly bitch we can run free nest pas?

(regardless how this goes, people intrested in doing this regularly? someone's gonna have webspace to collect it all in one place.)

adios
    chrisfw

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Hey, the modest poster chrisfw (word up cfw!) is the dude behind 'this way up' and I do MBLEH! and The Shiznit so we are the hardened veterans of the self publsihed comics scene. I'd definitely steer it more towards web comics. You have no idea of the grief involved in making/financing/distributing comics in this kip of a country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If there's interest in making the challenge a regular thing I'd definitely be up for it, and it wouldn't be particularly expensive to set up a site for it and hosting for each round's entries etc. I agree about colour in the context of webcomics since there's no price difference, but for the first round I'd like to see if we can try and get something moving for the anthology, even if it stops there.

I have some idea of the horrors involved in getting a comic printed and distributed over here through talking & emailing a few people who've done it and I'm under no illusions as to how hard it'd be - but if we can get something together with work from a spectrum of Irish comic makers it'd be worth it, and doubly so if we can raise some money for charity.

(Oh, and as for spreading the word - please do! The more people get involved the better it'll be all round - the main reason I wanted to start this was to see what people would come up with :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Janto

Sounds good, might be able to get a two page flight themed thingy going... At the very least, this might be a great chance to see other people's work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bowie_closed

fair play to you Fysh for organising...this is definitely the way to go! and great if we can put together a printed anthology but i definitely think it's worthwhile getting the web thing going as well - on a permanent basis - cos this means everyone around the country can have equal access - fans and artists, AND people in other countries can have a goo too..(i'm loosin the run a meself here!)...

anyway i've been lurking in the shadows of these comic threads for the last few months while i've been putting together my first....drumroll...graphic novel (a posh word for a looooong comic)...so, em, anyway, will post it within the next few days, if i can get the website bit working. would of course be very much appreciative of all constructive - gently worded, if you don't mind - criticism.

and am so on for this comic challenge - thks a gain fysh!

toodlepips chaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Borish

Well i'm well up for it, Ive nothing else to do with my time...i can get 4 pages done no problemo....:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

Whoa! I haven't been on boards.ie for some time it seems! This sounds so cool - count me in! BTW I think you're great for organising this Kyle and thanks for emailling me about it.

You're right, it's definatly time to get a public forum going for people to see and participate in Irish comics. I may be a bit on the artistically lacking side, but I'd love to pitch in a hand!

Oh, right, none of you know who the hell I am.... well my name's Kevin and I'm responsible for the (now hiatused) travesty of a webcomic Dublin Zoo: http://dublinzoo.keenspace.com .

Can't wait to see the other entries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gothical

Hi Im from dublin.
    Ill go for it but Id like to know if it has to have a theme?
    *edit SRY didnt read end of rule's

Just a quick update : There´s been a lot of positive feedback and interest so far, with the only issue being that people haven´t had much time to sign up. As such, I´ll keep the thread open for another two weeks (ie until the 15th of January) to give people more time to sign up (also conveniently giving Adam and I more time to get the site sorted out). Given that quite a few people have emailed me to let me know they´re taking part, I´ll post up a full list of participants once we´re into the two-week creation period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 argmyface

Hello!
    count me in... this is a great idea and even before finishing reading the rules i was mentally writing the story i'd use... but then i read that the theme was flight and i jumped in my seat! ive just finished drawing a 3page comic about flight!
    when does that happen!
    tis fate i tell thee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Great idea - Thanks for doing it! Count me in - Flight eh? Hmmm.:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 august

Hey dudes, stoked about this idea. Count me in. Bodacious. But seriously... looking forward starting my pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fhiacha

I like it alot. I'm in

http://fhiacha.deviantart.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

I've been getting so much goddam spam this last month or two, don't know what the Hell I signed up for to bring that on, seriously.

Annyhoo, I'd love to be involved and build up my portfolio a little, if you think someone who says 'annyhoo' won't be too uncool for ya.

Just to clarify and hide my ignorance, we're all waiting for the starting pistol, right? There'll be somewhere to send this stuff when it's ready, yes? It isn't all over and I missed the opportunity of a LIFETIME!! - no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Centurion Angel

it sounds like a great idea id love to do but i got some setbacks but will try and over come it anyways im in

Briony Noh wrote:
    Just to clarify and hide my ignorance, we're all waiting for the starting pistol, right? There'll be somewhere to send this stuff when it's ready, yes? It isn't all over and I missed the opportunity of a LIFETIME!! - no?

Just to clarify : closing date to sign up is 15th of January.

At that point I'll lock the thread and everyone has until the end of January to produce and digitise their comics. I'll add to this later with the size and format that entries should be submitted in, once I've figured out what the best way for everyone to enter would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Slothman

Deadly count me in.

• Advertisement

Ok, this thread is now locked, so no more entries for the first round. If you're interested in taking part in future, please PM me rather than starting a new thread - this one will be re-opened when we've had all the entries submitted after the deadline (31st of January).

Everyone who's entered has until the next round (we haven't settled on a date yet). I'll add the page size details tomorrow. If I haven't already got an email address or details for you, please PM me with your details so I can put up information on who's taking part.

Gah. Sorry for the lack of communications recently about this - my home connection has effectively died so I've been offline for the last two weeks. Quick update since we're nearly at the deadline:

1)Page size - I'm not too fussed about page size for the time being, although in the interests of keeping things reasonable image resolution should be 72-80dpi (though obviously it would be a good idea to keep your source files or at least a higher res copy of the image if you want to reuse it later).

2)Colour - late in the day I know, but if you want to have colour in your comic, go for it.

3)Where to submit entries? For the time being, email them to me and I'll get them online over the next couple of days. Email address is fyshbolwcomics@gmail.com.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Once all the entries are online I'll reopen this thread for comments, etc.

Ok, the thread is now unlocked for further comments. So far I've received 3 entries not including my own. Anyone who's finished a contribution for the comic, please email me a copy to fyshbowlcomics@gmail.com, or if you're having problems sending it on, let me know by PM. I'll be sending out a mass mail later today to remind everyone what to do and let you know what we'll do next.

GAH.

Sorry for the lack of progress here folks; it's my fault. I've received several entries and have been trying to get a page set up for them; the problem being that my home broadband connection has been effectively dead for weeks and so I can't get stuff uploaded. Things should be online by the weekend and we'll sort out what happens next once the comics are up for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

If you want, i can host em on www.mahbrain.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ham Ahoy!

i am getting a scanner on saturday.
    yes, i'm in.

Hi everyone, sorry again for the delays here. A page with the first round entries should be online by this evening; I'll post another update when I've confirmed it's up and running.

In the meantime, round 2. I'm thinking it should kick off within a month's time. So, deadline for entering will be the 19th of March. After that, 3 weeks to create your comic. I want to open this up a bit more so let's try a different format this time round. How about:

Page Length : 2-6 pages
    Colour/BW

I like the idea of having a theme for each round to serve as a common thread between strips; what's the feeling amongst everyone else? (Note : for purposes of not going mad trying to find a compromise that keeps everyone happy, preference will be given to the opinions of those who actually submitted entries for this round)

Gah. Site is done for now and uploaded, except I can't log into the comicgenesis site manager to trigger the update. So it won't be visible for a while yet. I will tinker further with it when I get home and post again once the site's visible.

Edit:

The site is now up.

Post up your thoughts and start thinking about what the next round's theme should be, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

Whoa - these are cool! I especially like "Lilith", but they're all really good! I'm completely aghast at the amount of variation and imagination present! And considering this is only round one, it's really shaping up well!

My fave moments:

* The cleavage joke in Sorcha Bowie's comic.
    * The last panel of Bob Byrnes one (fúcking hillarious)!
    * "Sorry, are you Patrick?" "No."
    * "You won't rob me of my dignity!" (also fúcking hillarious!)
    * Running on clouds - yeah we've all thought how great it'd be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I quite like these...

Is there a poll to vote on the entries?

Plus A suggestion for the next one....Shadow

Advertisement