Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated GRO

167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Does anyone else find this box somehow archaic ?

Adl6OhJ.png

when I use series like Familysearch I'm sure that there are also T&Cs attached but I don't have to accept them in advance. It's not that I mind accepting the T&Cs, it's the appearance of the page to someone who isn't Irish that would seem bizarre IMO, quoting the exact piece of Irish law that I have to agree to comply with.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Ponster wrote: »
    Does anyone else find this box somehow archaic ?

Adl6OhJ.png

when I use series like Familysearch I'm sure that there are also T&Cs attached but I don't have to accept them in advance. It's not that I mind accepting the T&Cs, it's the appearance of the page to someone who isn't Irish that would seem bizarre IMO, quoting the exact piece of Irish law that I have to agree to comply with.

Yes it is mad. You can put in any name you like and it is accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rxan90

Yes it is mad. You can put in any name you like and it is accepted!

I would have been glad to give my real name and enter it into that form if it had meant I had access to all the records and not just 50,75,100 years ago :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

In my excitement I entered the person I was searching for in that box!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    In my excitement I entered the person I was searching for in that box!

I did the exact same thing today and I've used the site when it first came out.

How many other people will do that same thing I wonder? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

dido2 wrote: »
    This link is working, http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/agreement.jsp

I had been using an old saved link to it and it wasn't working but on going to the main website it works that way

I keep getting a 404 message. The wait continues...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clear your cache and go back to the first page after filling in the your name/tickbox page - working fine for me then.

Matched marriages in 1903 (and possibly earlier) showing up - don't remember it being that far back originally?

Anyone yet discover anything missing? I have a 1915 birth I got either on FamilySearch or Ancestry but its not turning up on the GRO indexes. I'm still trying different spellings just in case but its an unusual name so I didn't expect to have any trouble with it. I have the reference anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1915 births are only 99 years ago so shouldn't be there. Should be opened at midnight on new years eve this year if they do it efficiently as the Scots do

If there's other 1915 ones there then there's an issue!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The problem with this 100/75/50 rule is that it's too restrictive. It's an index, and a larger index is available on familysearch.org. By all means, have the cert ordering online system* limited like this but we can view indexes (and order certs) in the GRO up to much more recently (1995?) I wouldn't be too optimistic about this site being updated each year with the next lot of records. That hasn't happened with the calendar of wills on the NAI site.

I can't see myself making much use of the irishgenealogy.ie, simply because I'll have to do maths each time to work out if I can expect a particular record to be on their site. Most likely uses: checking a death between 1958-1965, checking a mother's birth surname between 1900-1920ish, after I've found them on familysearch or an exact date of marriage pre 1940, for certs I'm not prioritising.

*If an online ordering system existed. :rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Just doing some testing.

Cannot find a birth in 1902, for which I have the birth cert. It's indexed on family search but no sign of it on irishgenealogy. I've tried "Dublin" as well as the 2 registration districts.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBKV-1YC

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Is this her?
    Name MARY LONG
    Date of Birth 26 June 1902
    Group Registration ID 7207197
    SR District/Reg Area Dublin
    Sex Female
    Mother's Birth Surname DUNNE

The district is recorded as Dublin [not North or South]

Yes it is - but that didn't come up earlier when I was looking. I tried with just Mary and just Dublin. It's a bit of a pain to have to search 3 locations for Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

BigCon wrote: »
    I keep getting a 404 message. The wait continues...

I do too. even after the cache clear and with 3 different browsers...

What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

What am I doing wrong?

at what stage do you see the 404 - the link I'm starting from is http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie and it's been fine so far

Working for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

What am I doing wrong?

I've just seen a 404 - directly after the application page and checkbox. Hard Refreshes didn't clear, but clearing out part of the URL so that it just had civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie worked ok

Cheers, that did it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

John Grenham's column this week is about gaps in the IrishGenealogy.ie version of the indexes
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/irish-roots-registrations-indexes-return-1.2178591

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

One thing I've noticed when searching for Dublin marriages is, if you select Dublin South/North from the dropdown list of Civil Registration Districts, no results are returned, however if you use Dublin only they are. I wonder why this is.

• Advertisement

Further to John Grenham's column, I've done my own cross-reference for a surname I'm working on and found several more entries in on irishgenealogy.ie that are not in either familysearch or FMP (which should be the same). I also found a few more people through the mother's maiden name in the index. Many of the extra entries were for 1872, so I wonder was some part of that year missed by accident.

Also, many people's middle names have been left out of the index on irishgenealogy.ie but are in the other two. This will mean a little bit more homework.

So in short, it's definitely worth cross referencing all the sites.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement