Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ghandee wrote: »
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/dodge_general2.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

?

Try it now.......... One theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

A little respect goes a long way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Jess16 wrote: »

that's quite scary, :mad: I got chills watching that

That's a terrible thing to happen to anyone, I really pity the Gardai in that situtation

It reminds me of this

Not a good road to be heading down :mad::mad::mad:

I would fully support the gardai in this case to drawn batons and do damage

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

1) He could have opened the door no problem instead of being a ****ing eejit, and if you listen to the tone of his voice he was playing dumb and immature.
    2) All batons have to be retracted that way, its the way they are made and the training given in exactly that.
    3) Why did he even have that camera on? He HAD to have been expecting a confrontational response to his attitude.
    My opinion: Completely Justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

mikom wrote: »
    Ghandee wrote: »

Yer man might've had a broken window motor, but what stopped him from opening the door and telling the Gard's that?

One theory.

The dukes used get in the window. He'd have been locked out as the window was closed!! Aha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Pack of monkeys,fully condone the use of water cannon there, only replace water with slurry.

The dukes used get in the window. He'd have been locked out as the window was closed!! Aha!

One theory:
    In his version of the car, only the passenger window had been left open for access. this decision was made due to the difference in the climate between Ireland and Hazzard County and the direction of the prevailing winds and amount of rainfall.

Only the drivers window was sealed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

33 pages of a discussion is far more excessive than the force used by the Gardai in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Owen_S wrote: »
    33 pages of a discussion is far more excessive than the force used by the Gardai in the video.

In my opinion - you co-operate with the Gardai because the law says you should. It's in all our best interests.

However - the Gardai are supposed to know the laws they enforce at least reasonably well enough not to make silly errors - or 'go-off' half cocked. And they are not supposed to make thir own laws up on the fly. So, if they ask you to do something that you are not obliged to do by law - I think you should be well within your rights to refuse. Then - if they insist .... refuse under verbal protest. Then - when asked agan - finally say ok ... and 'do what they want' - like get out of the car, etc. AND - in this case - all of that ... could take 90 secs. Or more. After that stage - you can bring it to a solicitor iif you want - having done it 'right'.

Also - I would hope - that sooner rather than later - all gardai have to wear headcams with sound on their 'uniform'. ie - hats. :) That way - a proper encrypted and incorruptable record of their eventful days would be kept for future use if required to settle disputes.

Big brother? No. Common sense. It'll make ar*eh*ole wind-up merchants think twice and pre-emptory 'strong man' Gardai operate within the law they are supposed to support and enforce.

Don't forget - most Gardai are OK as are most private citizens. It's the very small minority of plonkers on both sides that have to be 'policed'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Regardless of the guy's inability to open the door (which he should have), the garda where way over the top and the garda who smashed the window was not in control! He completely lost his calm and acted unprofessionally, abusing his power imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

TBH both sides in this situation conducted themselves rather badly.

However while the drivers behaviour may have been somewhat trollish I dont know why so many posters are assuming he had "something to hide" ?

I dont know about you but when I get stopped at a police checkpoint while out driving I generally tend to adopt a pleasent and cooperative demeanour with the cops in order that they let me go on my way in a timely manner without noticing the corpse in my boot :pac:
    DonQuay1 wrote: »
    Also - I would hope - that sooner rather than later - all gardai have to wear headcams with sound on their 'uniform'. ie - hats. :) That way - a proper encrypted and incorruptable record of their eventful days would be kept for future use if required to settle disputes.

Given their record when it comes to adopting new technology that should be in place by around 2040 assuming of course that blank 8mm film is still on the market by then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Owen_S wrote: »

Discussion? more like right-wing dogmatic rantings of failed garda recruits along the lines of "I would have dragged him out of the car and peppersprayed him till his mamma hurt uggh" tempered with the odd "no good Pigs" slant here or there,let it die ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thats a terrible way to act to any professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

33 pages long of a discussion and my mind has not changed one bit from thinking that this guy is a clown. He went there looking for a confrontation and he got it. Then he made a video crying and whinging about it. As someone said earlier the more the krusties make idiot videos the more I go against them. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I've come to the conclusion that the expression 'Stay Classy <insert xyz>' is the most irritating thing that is said on this forum.

Just had to get that off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

totally think the driver was acting the magot, but question; why did the police not try the passenger door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

can we see your records please? I must see proof that you do not normally condone checkpoints. And can we see any reason that you have for condoning or not condoning checkpoints normally and what it has to do with what you said about the alleged sh1t that these hillbillies would be doing, speeding? not paying road tax? what?

I'm sure you're familiar with YouTube. You'll find all the sh!t there. FFS I remember seeing a video on it shortly after a young Garda was killed in Dnegal, with some oul wan goading them, saying it's a pity a few more didn't die. Great citizens.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

@ 47 seconds in and as a car approached you can hear the following....

Ban Garda: "Will you pull into the side slightly."

Muppet: "I'm, eh....going about my business."

It was just a simple request she made, he was blocking the oncoming car from passing and the pig ignorant fúckwit refused to move.

Then again, I thought he sounded like a thick kunt from the start. I certainly will condemn the Gardaí when they deserve it, but not on this occasion. Dashboard camera combined with a thick kunt, adds up to a bit of shít stirring búllshít imo.

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Mayo underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Can't we all just agree that they were both made and deserve each other.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

The driver's a retard. Move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I expect the guards are putting up with this sort of gobsh1tery day after day, so as much as I don't condone their over-reaction I wouldn't be too quick to judge them based on this. The guy obviously wanted to provoke them into a reaction, and the video is very much one-sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

micropig wrote: »
    One theory:
    In his version of the car, only the passenger window had been left open for access. this decision was made due to the difference in the climate between Ireland and Hazzard County and the direction of the prevailing winds and amount of rainfall.

Only the drivers window was sealed

Touché. I hadn't taken in to account the prevailing winds which of course resulted in me not having a correct understanding of the issue at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Seems to me the driver is an In Real Life Troll?

But not a professional troll, because he is a 'troll amongst trolls' in this video.

So teh Lulz score attained here was nil.

What a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

As a good few of the previous posters have said, it doesn't add up. The driver of the car is driving along with a video camera on. He's stopped by gardai and asked a simple (standard) question to which he gives the weird non-answer of "I'm going about my business". (On a stylistic note, I don't think anyone's spoken like that since Synge's plays.)

He's then requested to pull over slightly. He doesn't. He's then asked to wind down the window. He doesn't. He says the window doesn't wind down but says it in another obscure manner (the motor's broken, the motor's broken). He can still open the door presumably. He doesn't.

Say what you like about the guards overreacting, but there are a few things that are guaranteed to put them on edge (and it's innately a dangerous job) - weird behaviour, evasive answers and failure to comply with basic requests.

The uploader's WordPress blog ( http://soundmigration.wordpress.com/ ) is a self-styled activist blog. As far as I can see, the guy manufactured an incident and got what he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

That's my question, are people actually allowed open the door? I know in other countries it's completely forbidden.
    In other countries the police are armed. If he opened the door and they didn't like it in theory they could have dragged him out of the car but I don't think it would have come to that.

I think they just got heavy handed because of his silliness

It's very suss that he has a camera complete with sound at the ready before reaching the checkpoint.

If he couldn't hear them why did he think they could hear him saying the motor was broken ?
    It's near the Shell to Sea so I imagine he is a protestor definitely more to the story than meets the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I don't think he helped the situation by not opening the door, but then again, are you allowed open a door when a Garda approaches? Or are you only allowed lower your window.
    Ridiculous reaction from the cops though. Fair play to yer man for having a camera on his dash.

Mod note: this thread is about this video only. Any attempts to bring in general gardai bashing will be baton-charged.

To be honest I could care less if the gardai are classy or not so long as they are doing their job.
    If they had reason to believe that this guy was acting suspiciously by being non-compliant I would rather they establish he's not a threat

Ok it would seem like they're protecting the shell to sea site so it's debatable whether that is a good use of our limited Garda resource but in any case the guy was being an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Here's a weird thing. The whole "going about my business" thing stuck in my head - I mean, who talks like that? But I dismissed it and went off on a different tack in response to a remark made on this thread about the powers of the Gardai to stop and search.

I found the answer to that question on the Irish Council For Civil Liberties site.

http://www.iccl.ie/know-your-rights-criminal-justice-and-garda-powers.html

If you open the 'Know Your Rights Criminal Justice and Garda Powers' PDF on that page, it states "A garda can ask you to stop at any time. In some circumstances, the Gardai can require you to stop if, for example: he or she suspects you are committing an offence under the Offences Against The State Acts or you are driving a vehicle and, for example, he or she wishes to check its tax and insurance details."

The short answer to "Do they have a legal right to detain any driver of a vehicle and check your details?" is, yes they do and you're required by law to comply. Not responding or refusing is illegal and opens you to arrest. But that's not the weird bit.

Searching another site, Indymedia, on the same subject, I came across this article from a writer/activist called Niall Harnett:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/82108

What's weird is halfway down the page about how to deal with gardai if you're stopped, Harnett says "...you do not have to engage or cooperate with him in any way. He must invoke the law to use the law ... in accordance with the law! If he refuses, he is not acting in accordance with any law and you should invoke your rights to personal liberty and go about your business."

What are the odds of someone using the same obscure clunky phrase in relation to exactly the same (fairly rare in most people's lives) situation? So I decided to google "Niall Harnett". The second 't' was barely off my finger when Google helpfully started autocompleting. The first suggested autocomplete? "Niall Harnett Shell to Sea". Harnett, it appears, did 6 months for assault on a garda in relation to the campaign.

Slowly the pennies started to drop. Harnett has presumably coached other activists as to their rights, which he's entitled to do. You could hazard a guess that his advice includes minimal cooperation and responses, including responding to the question "What are doing/where are you going?" with "I am going about my business." Which would explain the odd circumlocution of the man in the video.

It also explains the gardai response. The guards in the YouTube video are there specifically to stop activism (and possibly criminal damage) from Shell to Sea activists. They meet a guy who fails to comply with their requests (and Harnett's advice on the subject is in direct contradiction with that from the Irish Council for Civil Liberties) and then uses a weird formulation of a reply - "I am going about my business" - that they will only have heard before from Shell To Sea activists.

At this point, the gardai are fairly sure that they are dealing with an activist from the very group that they're there to protect the facility from. Now that's not to say that their response is proportionate or correct, but it does explain why they're on edge.

The guards knew from his rote activist response which group he was from - I've no doubt they've heard it before - and since legally they're not only entitled to stop him but also arrest him for non-compliance to garda requests, they then are faced with do we wait it out or get him out of the car before he does damage. Bear in mind that, from their perspective, Shell To Sea activists have already done time for assault on gardai.

I'm filing the YT video under 'colossally disingenuous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The advice given on Indymedia isn't much better than the likes of "A Garda can't arrest you if he's not wearing his hat" most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Stark wrote: »
    The advice given on Indymedia isn't much better than the likes of "A Garda can't arrest you if he's not wearing his hat" most of the time.

I was cuffed by a Garda once and she was only wearing her hat.

Good times.

Advertisement