Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT & Window Tinting failure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

hmmmm .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cronin_j wrote: »
    Believe what you will, but your providing false information. Tinted glass will pass the nct if it allows 65% light transmission, just because a few tint companies you know dont stock the tint doesnt mean they all dont.

Theres a couple of NCT testers on the site i run midnightclub and they will also confirm my previous statement.

no need to confirm, its the law and common knowledge, but my point was that any tint that passes the NCT is not dark, it will be clear to the eye.

thats why i would like to see pictures of any car that passes the NCT with the fron two windows tinted, my opinion is they will ne be dark, just a clear fim on it. the tint is there as a UV protection and not to darken as such!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kceire wrote: »
    can you provide pictures of your car to prove its tinted beyond clear?

its easy enough to tell. Just roll your window down half way, look above and below the glass and you will see a difference between the 2

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    its easy enough to tell. Just roll your window down half way, look above and below the glass and you will see a difference between the 2

i know, thats not my point. my point is that to pass the 65% VLT test the film used will be clear, and not dark like the traditional "tinted windows" look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Even clear glass with no tint at all will show a difference as even clear glass does not have 100% light transmission but only 90% or so.

But most modern cars already have tinted glass on them (as in the tint is in the glass, not in a separate film. Usually the look slightly green-ish) and in that case they would have a light transmission of around 75%.

• Advertisement

Gitb1 wrote: »
    I watched the whole test and they never put anything on the window similar to the light tester things that ive seen in pictures and stuff. Rolled the windows down but that was it.

so how did they say your car was below 65% VLT without taking an actual measurement?

Have the NCT testers been given any extra equipment to test the glass because if they haven't and they are just going on a 'best guess I think its below 65%' then its a load of b0!!0x. I'd want to see a meter on the glass with a reading before I'd accept it failed.

peasant wrote: »
    Even clear glass with no tint at all will show a difference as even clear glass does not have 100% light transmission but only 90% or so.

But most modern cars already have tinted glass on them (as in the tint is in the glass, not in a separate film. Usually the look slightly green-ish) and in that case they would have a light transmission of around 75%.

I know what you mean but there is a bigger difference between my car window and clear light and my house window and clear light. I was told by Vision that most "factory" tints are about 85%'ish but it really depends on the manufacturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if they test something they should give the tested figure as in brake imbalance 20% only x% allowed
    exhaust hcl 22ppm only xppm allowed
    so was a light transmittance figure given?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

heat the window up with a black an decker paint stripper or a good hair dryer then it will peel straight off, Usually it will come off very easily.

Then just use washing up liquid and a blade to clear off the remaining glue.

This should work..did it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Do any glass companies make glass that reacts to UV light, like glasses, where they react in the sunlight to darken and then go clear at night time?

I wondered that too:
    Photo-chromatic
    The largest limitation in using PC technology is that the materials cannot be made stable enough to withstand thousands of hours of outdoor exposure so long-term outdoor applications are not appropriate at this time.

This is more promising and has some Auto applications already, but I suspect the cost is extreme:
    SmartGlass
    The new Boeing 787 Dreamliner features electrochromic windows which replace the pull down window shades on existing aircraft. NASA is looking into using electrochromics to manage the thermal environment experienced by the newly developed Orion and Altair space vehicles.

Smart glass has been used in some small-production cars. The Ferrari 575 M Superamerica had an electrochromic roof as standard, and the Maybach has a PDLC roof as option. Some Polyvision Privacy Glass has been applied in the Maybach 62 car for privacy protection purposes.

Looks more like an LCD than a glass tint though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3CFTh2-ljQ

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    if they test something they should give the tested
    so was a light transmittance figure given?

exactly....some pleb saying "its passed" or "its failed" just because he perseves it to be below or above 65% is not a test IMO.

Thats like a guard saying I clocked you at 88km/h, I don't have my gun with me but I've seen a car doing 88 before and you're nicked...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

exactly....some pleb saying "its passed" or "its failed" just because he perseves it to be below or above 65% is not a test IMO.

Thats like a guard saying I clocked you at 88km/h, I don't have my gun with me but I've seen a car doing 88 before and you're nicked...:rolleyes:

One of the plebs here.......All NCT centers got brand new window tint testers 2 weeks ago.......and yes, they are all calibrated, to answer your next question.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    One of the plebs here.......All NCT centers got brand new window tint testers 2 weeks ago.......and yes, they are all calibrated, to answer your next question.

Hi. Same apply for factory tints? My 1991 8 has film tints from the factory and I'll be mighty upset if I have to modify it.
    Cheers.

Are your front windows tinted as well? I always thought, factory tint was only available for the rear windows?

Are your front windows tinted as well? I always thought, factory tint was only available for the rear windows?

You might have a point there. Not sure. Previous owner could have matched them up. Build sheet doesn't stipulate which windows. I'll find out from learned owners. Ta.

Edit: in answer, yeah, they're also tinted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do any glass companies make glass that reacts to UV light, like glasses, where they react in the sunlight to darken and then go clear at night time?
    That wouldn't be safe if, for example, you drove from bright sunlight into an unlit tunnel.

this is my chain of thought, i have never seen a factory fitted tint on the drivers and fron passengers window.

im not saying they dont exist, but i have never seen or heard of it before.

and by tint i mean a darker than clear film.

exellent...we at least have someone that can answer a few questions as it wasn't clear from the OP if the car was actually tested using an actual tester

How do the testers work? Do you have to roll down the window and test the light passing across the glass?
    kceire wrote: »
    this is my chain of thought, i have never seen a factory fitted tint on the drivers and fron passengers window.

im not saying they dont exist, but i have never seen or heard of it before.

and by tint i mean a darker than clear film.
    maybe not a film, but some companies car windows come with a slight "tint" that is probably impregnated or sputtered onto the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

maybe not a film, but some companies car windows come with a slight "tint" that is probably impregnated or sputtered onto the glass

Most cars these days come with factory tinted glass. This glass has a slight green tinge usually. The tint is in the glass, not on it.
    Basically they throw a few spoonfuls of green goodness into the melting pot when they make the glass ...like your green or brown glass bottles, only slightly more controlled and somewhat less of it.

The TintMan in action!

The machine, all new and shiny:

4520645501_c3df50e268_o.jpg

This is how it works, a sensor is attached to each side of the window, which measures the opacity of the glass. We used an untinted window here:

4520645755_008dd480d9_o.jpg

Now one simply presses the button (there is only one button!), and......tatatadadaa....the result appears in the display.

4520646041_526384d9ac_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like the same machine I've seen the UK cops using on Road Wars and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Another farce of a test!

hey cosmo, how do the sensors actually stick to the glass so they line up opposite eachother? I see a sucker on each wire but that hardly is used to attach the sensor to the glass?

Do you 'zero' the unit first before use by putting the sensors together without anything between them to get a reading of 100%?

@lex

There is a little magnet in each sensor, that holds them in place. And yes, the machine is calibrated (with a piece of ...um... how do I describe it.....calibrated glass?) before each test. Its all very simple, the whole procedure takes less then a minute.

@lex

There is a little magnet in each sensor, that holds them in place. And yes, the machine is calibrated (with a piece of ...um... how do I describe it.....calibrated glass?) before each test. Its all very simple, the whole procedure takes less then a minute.

cosmo, does this piece of glass have 2 different tints on it? For an optics calibration it really should have to compare one end of the spectrum to the other. Only doing a check at one end does not verify the full range and I would be dubious then of any results the unit produces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

How does this effect Limos? Are they in a special class of vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

http://turnkey-instruments.com/road.php?id=17

seems fair enough
    4 or 5 different reference glasses
    glad to see its not a comnparison test

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hagar wrote: »
    How does this effect Limos? Are they in a special class of vehicle?

Limos are fine, it's only tested on driver and passenger windows and the front windscreen.

4 or 5 different reference glasses

where do you see this? I only noted a factory calibration at 4 different levels but not a field calibration of 4 or 5 plastics...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

where do you see this? I only noted a factory calibration at 4 different levels but not a field calibration of 4 or 5 plastics...

Sorry I mean 4 or five for calibration. Then one for field reference.
    The fith being the "zero ring"

Advertisement