Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player is Live!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Actually, I am able to access the Player using my 3 IRL midband modem here in Belfast. Works very well. Didn't used to work for the older content available on the website prior to the advent of the player.

Will take the SIM out, stick it in an N95 and create a wifi hotspot and try it with my PS3.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gary82 wrote: »
    That's great that it work's on PS3! Anyone try via the Wii yet?

I forgot the Wii supports flash, I just tried it out on my Wii and unfortunately it doesn't work. It seems the RTE player needs a newer version of flash, pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I don't know how the likes of BT will be able to deal with this. Seeing as a few hundred heavy users could put their network under pressure, I can't see how they will manage if the people that only use 1 gb a month start to use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

speaking of BT & RTE, I was just watching the player and saw an add for
    http://www.setyourbroadbandfree.ie (a BT advertising campaign)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vector wrote: »
    speaking of BT & RTE, I was just watching the player and saw an add for
    http://www.setyourbroadbandfree.ie (a BT advertising campaign)

LLU exchanges only basically :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Credit where credit is due, I have to say that this is a nice piece of kit by RTÉ with great potential. The picture quality is good and Full screen was watchable on my Laptop.

The fact that it allows a 21 day catch-up service is really good. It will be much better if / when they allow access to all of their programs (including more of the American Dramas, etc.)

I'll watch this one with interest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cora_cainte

The problem with accessing RTÉ Player in Northern Ireland is that residential BT Broadband customers have a variable IP address that changes every time you turn on and off the modem. This variable IP address incorrectly states that users in Northern Ireland are from England or Scotland. If you go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ this will tell you what region it is incorrectly claiming you are from. Due to this fact the RTÉ servers are being told you are not in Northern Ireland and you are not granted access.

The only way to get this changed is for customers to make official complaints to BT to get this changed. If you contact them they will originally tell you that it is not their problem despite the fact that it quite obviously is, however you can then ask to register a complaint. If enough people do this they will have to take action and make an arrangement with RTÉ to allow NI residents to access the RTÉ content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 solarant

I live in the usa can anyone tell me if there is a way around the geo block on programs using the new rte player.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

Anyone any idea what ports are used by rte player?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

aubhall wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what ports are used by rte player?

1935, 443 and 80. It's normal Flash.

• Advertisement

cheers, for some strange reason only some of the shows are playing others are hanging....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

aubhall wrote: »
    cheers, for some strange reason only some of the shows are playing others are hanging....

Are you trying to skip ahead in the video before it loads completely, or does the entire video play the second time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Must say , i am loving it ...

Has to be a good thing when I can open up my PS3 browser (on main TV) and go to rte.ie/player and watch a program that i missed .

Happy days , who needs SKY+ :DQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I've watched a couple of things on it now including of course the CapitalD piece on boards.ie :)

Have to admit I'm impressed. Thumbs up to RTÉ.

CutzEr wrote: »
    Is the wrong answer.......If RTÉ allowed northern ireland to get in, they would have to allow the whole of the uk aswell.

SO -I was right all along: THIS has now appeared on the Player site:

We're sorry but RTÉ player is currently only available to viewers in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

and this.....

If you are located in ROI or NI and cannot access the service, please see here.

Which is the only possible logic when RTÉ is already available on various platforms in the north.

Anyway.....YIPPEE, goodbye SKY in the morning.

Spear wrote: »
    Are you trying to skip ahead in the video before it loads completely, or does the entire video play the second time?

It was not playing sometimes, seems to be working now, maybe something to do with the ads, bizare.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I'm getting the geoblock message accessing thru 3ireland....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

acalmenvoy wrote: »

...and through Meteor.

acalmenvoy wrote: »

Gosh and I'm not, here in Belfast.

Trying desperately to get TalkTalk UK to understand that they can sort this for me. However, they want to know if I am wirebound or wireless, XP or Vista (to which I took grave offence) or indeed am facing east or west. This one will run and run.

I haven't looked at this for a while now (and not heard a peep out of TalkTalk either) so you can imagine my surprise tonight when I discovered that the RTÉ Player *IS* now working on my Mac here in Belfast, connected to TalkTalk. Don't know who to thank -whether TalkTalk finally sorted it or whether RTÉ themselves intervened on foot of my email to them and their private call to me.

Anyway-happy days. Going to try it on my PS3 now.

• Advertisement

Also working on PS3 here in Belfast. Can't negotiate it with BT remote but can just about with Sixaxis. Working very well -at long last. Wish I could get rid of cursor in middle of the screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Iolar wrote: »
    Im still having problems,it worked briefly once a few days ago but now all im getting is the loading symbol :( anyone help?

I had this last time I looked and just left it as I thought .... Beta software ...... well it turns out I had adblock running and when I disabled it today I was able to watch programmes, and in full screen too.

Those in Northern Ireland must now be able to see both BBC iPlayer content and RTE Player content.
    Nice for you guys! :)

I had this last time I looked and just left it as I thought .... Beta software ...... well it turns out I had adblock running and when I disabled it today I was able to watch programmes, and in full screen too.

Those in Northern Ireland must now be able to see both BBC iPlayer content and RTE Player content.
    Nice for you guys! :)

We can, but it looks to me as though the RTÉ Player is now available everywhere and appears devoid of international content. Not much to watch anymore.

The iPlayer has actual content........

culabula wrote: »
    We can, but it looks to me as though the RTÉ Player is now available everywhere and appears devoid of international content. Not much to watch anymore.

The iPlayer has actual content........

As I did not access the RTE site previously I don't know what is now missing that was there previously.
    I see such things as Desp. H/Wifes, E/enders, TopGear .... these are not native content .... maybe you could give me an idea of what is now missing? Thanks.

Well, everything has now disappeared except for Tubridy, the Late late, TAS, other RTÉ shows and endless news bulletins.

Have they a two-tiered version now with one for ROI and one for ROW?

Well, everything has now disappeared except for Tubridy, the Late late, TAS, other RTÉ shows and endless news bulletins.

Have they a two-tiered version now with one for ROI and one for ROW?

I can see non-Irish shows such as Top Gear and Desperate Housewives still listed on an RoI IP.

Spear wrote: »
    I can see non-Irish shows such as Top Gear and Desperate Housewives still listed on an RoI IP.

Then clearly there has been a seismic shift. I'll log in a while with my 3 IRL datamodem which should reveal much.

Then clearly there has been a seismic shift. I'll log in a while with my 3 IRL datamodem which should reveal much.

..... interesting .....

• Advertisement

..... interesting .....

OK, I can now see just about everything both with my datamodem and my home broadband.......except Rearenders! Grey's Anatomy, Housewives etc., they're all there but not The Gripping Adventures of Phiw Mitchell.

Advertisement