Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Starting XI tonight

CCP_8ctW0AAGwUd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Here's some colourful photos I took of the 'small' stand, empty (taken this afternoon).

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Bottom of the table. We have to admit that this has been a rubbish start even of ref calls and some unlucky play are costing us at times. I really thought we'd have around 7 points by now. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep some poor tactical decisions by the manager are costing us the opportunity to win games and at worst sneak a point, playing lads out of position and the failure to sign a proven goalscorer are proving to be problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Yep some poor tactical decisions by the manager are costing us the opportunity to win games and at worst sneak a point, playing lads out of position and the failure to sign a proven goalscorer are proving to be problematic.

Enda isn't up to it woulda preferred we kept Vinny.

Garcia is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Garcia is terrible

He looked woeful when he came on against Longford but I thought he actually had quite a good game against Sligo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Enda isn't up to it woulda preferred we kept Vinny.

Garcia is terrible

Agree with the Vinny quote, we are desperately short of goals, 3 this season in league? Garcia was ok v Sligo but defence was caught out several times. It will be a season long battle v the drop, think they need to get a couple of new additions if at all possible .Though cunningham looked ok off the bench he may be a good option

Vinny is backup in Limerick and iirc didn't want to sign back. Fair enough. The budget was x and Dunne had to stick to x.

In the First Division, he got 18 starts and was subbed off nearly every time. Apart from the hattrick against Cobh who were miles off the pace in the division, he did very little and hardly stood out. He scored 8 goals. 4 of them against Cobh and 2 against Rovers B who were all over the place at the time. Don't think Vinny is terrible or anything, but the notion that he would be GUFC's saviour if he came in is daft.

As for Garcia, he's come straight in without any pre-season, didn't play a competitive match since last year. Wouldn't pass judgement on him yet as it's too early. There really aren't a lot of ways that Dunne can set the team up. They haven't been able to fill the bench in recent games, even with all the fit and available players present.

Vinny is backup in Limerick and iirc didn't want to sign back. Fair enough. The budget was x and Dunne had to stick to x.

In the First Division, he got 18 starts and was subbed off nearly every time. Apart from the hattrick against Cobh who were miles off the pace in the division, he did very little and hardly stood out. He scored 8 goals. 4 of them against Cobh and 2 against Rovers B who were all over the place at the time. Don't think Vinny is terrible or anything, but the notion that he would be GUFC's saviour if he came in is daft.

As for Garcia, he's come straight in without any pre-season, didn't play a competitive match since last year. Wouldn't pass judgement on him yet as it's too early. There really aren't a lot of ways that Dunne can set the team up. They haven't been able to fill the bench in recent games, even with all the fit and available players present.
    Ya but setting up with a paceless Connolly on the left and two holding players who dont wanna go forward in the middle of midfield against a team happy to sit in is just nonsensical stuff.

• Advertisement

Ya but setting up with a paceless Connolly on the left and two holding players who dont wanna go forward in the middle of midfield against a team happy to sit in is just nonsensical stuff.

No, that's fair enough. He's limited in who he can pick, but yeah, how he sets them up could certainly be different at times.

No, that's fair enough. He's limited in who he can pick, but yeah, how he sets them up could certainly be different at times.
    Agreed two very similar holding midfielders both good but one is enough? Any of the young lads on bench worth a shot- Raftery/O Laoi/mcdonagh ? Or do the likes of Mervue/SD have any guys who could make the jump, very few city lads on the team which is a bit surprising.

youngrun wrote: »
    Lost a good few of the squad from last yr, especially top end players like Manning-was going to go anyway, Barrett, Faherty, Conneely, derek O brien . Bought in 3/4 outsiders rather than local additions ? I dont know if there are prospects with Mervue/SDFC etc that can make the jump although am sure Dunne is always looking?

There is a half decent team there at minute, wonder if the like of Faherty or Alan Murphy could be tempted back to add a bit of extra nous.
    Murphy was past it four years ago so no thanks, theres nobody currently playing in Galway with the necessary desire to play and Vinny is playing with Limerick and wouldnt offer much different to what we have.
    Agreed two very similar holding midfielders both good but one is enough? Any of the young lads on bench worth a shot- Raftery/O Laoi/mcdonagh ? Or do the likes of Mervue/SD have any guys who could make the jump, very few city lads on the team which is a bit surprising.
    Same as the above answer to the same question you asked from two weeks ago.

Same as the above answer to the same question you asked from two weeks ago.

Hard to understand that more are not coming through given the size of city and number of decent clubs all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Hard to understand that more are not coming through given the size of city and number of decent clubs all the same.

I'm no expert on the matter but from what I hear Galway junior football is a bit of a shambles. I think Galway hasn't won an Oscar Traynor title since the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Over the last five years in the region of 60 local lads got loi experience. If any of them were of the standard they would have been signed up.

Vinny was a very ordinary player. I'm not disappointed he's gone but I agree with ye that a lack of goals is killing us. The step up has been a hard hit for us so far.

I didn't realise Garcia had no football last year?! Why did we sign him? I'm sure there were better targets than him.

I didn't realise Garcia had no football last year?! Why did we sign him? I'm sure there were better targets than him.

He did have football last year. He finished up around the same time Galway won the playoffs here.

The problem is, he flew in from the US with pre-season already finished, so he got no games and when his work permit came through, he was put straight into the first XI against Cork in Turners Cross. Apparently he did well there but he picked up a yellow and was tiring in the second half, so he was probably wisely subbed off.

Jake Keegan was in a similar situation. His work permit took ages and he only arrived before the NUIG friendly.

I wouldnt have expected Vinny as a saviour but prefer him to Enda.

Also the fact some like O'Laoi, McDonagh, Barry havent had any league time strikes as weird. If they cant be trusted then why sign them at all. The way things are going and how Galway are going he should be trying everything. But some players still arent trusted.

Also the fact some like O'Laoi, McDonagh, Barry havent had any league time strikes as weird. If they cant be trusted then why sign them at all. The way things are going and how Galway are going he should be trying everything. But some players still arent trusted.

There arent many teenagers/younger inexperienced players that can easily break into first teams around the world, let alone in Ireland where physicality and experience count for a lot.

• Advertisement

Also the fact some like O'Laoi, McDonagh, Barry havent had any league time strikes as weird. If they cant be trusted then why sign them at all.

Going from youth football to LOI Premier isn't easy. There is no under 19 team.

Who else would he sign for no money that is better?

They are young players, there is plenty of time. Just because they are there, it doesn't mean he is obliged to blood them in the Premier asap.

He's had to sign a 23 man squad. There are no u19 games to get them match sharp or see properly how they're developing.

I'm sure they will get their chance, but it's a big call to throw them in ahead of who's in the team, whether they're in good form or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Disagree on Vinny/Enda. Vinny was poor last year, he only scored against Cobh/Rovers who weren't much better than junior clubs. I realise the irony, Enda was also poor last year but he has been far improved this season, in my opinion. Certainly outshining Keegan who seems to be daunted by Premier football so far. I don't think Curran is a top striker or anything but for me it was sensible to go for Enda over Vinny and he would've definitely come cheaper also. Faherty was never fit and just lumbered around the pitch.

Agree totally on your point about young players. True, you can't exactly throw young players willy-nilly into first team Premier Division football but I don't think anybody is asking for that. It's silly when games are dying down and Dunne doesn't give the likes of Barry/O'Laoi etc 10 minutes here or there. He only seems to have faith in Cunningham. I don't know how they will improve if they're just festering on the bench. Use of youngsters is probably Dunne's biggest flaw IMO. With the exception of Manning, who was so obvious a talent, nobody could miss him. It took him half a season to play Alex Byrne...instead he was favouring Mike Elwood and Cian Fadden over him.... Byrne should be one of the first names on the teamsheet and Sinnott should spend some time on the bench. A trio of Byrne, O'Leary and Connolly would be better than a lot of teams and we're yet to see it.

Limerick on Friday really is a must win game. A loss would be disastrous for United!

For me, our strongest starting 11 is

Gleeson
    Horgan Oji Walsh Ludden
    Shanahan Byrne O'Leary Molloy
    Connolly
    Keegan

Frustratingly because of injuries and suspensions we've had nowhere near that team on the pitch this season. Dunne will probably start Hanley over Gleeson, which is fair, going on recent form. Oji is serving his last suspension, Molloy is out for a few weeks with a toe injury and he won't drop Sinnott, regardless of his poor form / better options available. He will probably continue to play Keegan wide left again where he is totally useless...

Ben and civilis yes I'm aware it'd not be easy but how will the young lads get experience? They obviously have to play to get experience. And since we only have 23 players when the experienced first choice arent working out then surely you'd explore ALL the squad to try and better the situation?

Ben and civilis yes I'm aware it'd not be easy but how will the young lads get experience? They obviously have to play to get experience. And since we only have 23 players when the experienced first choice arent working out then surely you'd explore ALL the squad to try and better the situation?

By all means give them time but not starting games in the middle of a poor run, the best time to blood them would be with 20 minutes left while being comfortably ahead in a game, unfortunately weve yet to be in that position, if he started three teenagers people would giving out that they were out of their depth and why all at once.

By all means give them time but not starting games in the middle of a poor run, the best time to blood them would be with 20 minutes left while being comfortably ahead in a game, unfortunately weve yet to be in that position, if he started three teenagers people would giving out that they were out of their depth and why all at once.
    We were in those positions last year in the First Division and he still didn't do it often. I remember we were 3-0 up against Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium and very, very comfortable winners. He brought Padraic Cunningham on in the 91st minute and Conor Barry on in the 89th minute. Bizarre and totally pointless.

He's an extremely conservative manager when it comes to using younger players/changing his set 11. Often times last year, players started regardless of form and if you were a substitute you were picking barnacles of wood out of your arse unless you were a very established player coming back from injury for E.G. I don't think anybody is asking for him to throw these lads into the team, starting games or anything, but he clearly has no faith in them and their signings are pointless and are purely to fill United's bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

But they're not pointless. While I agree that it'd be preferable to throw them in with 10/15 mins to go in games, you might get caught out with late sucker punches if you do this. They were signed mainly as cover for injuries I'd imagine as the budget is extremely tight. I'm sure we could have gone with a better quality 18 man squad but if we were hit with injuries it'd be game over then.

Limerick on Friday really is a must win game. A loss would be disastrous for United!

I'm nervous about tonight. I don't live in the city either so I'll have to glance at Livescore every few minutes. Limerick are supposed to be crap too and I expect them bottom at season's ends so I expect a victory tonight but that's expectation...I feel like we'll slump into a draw or lose in the last seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Jaysus lads! Are ye all on the piss or what??
    I'm not really a soccer person myself, but I thought this thread would be swamped after tonights result?

• Advertisement

Most of the lads that post on here are probably on the way back from the sunny Seaside. :cool:

Just in the door myself. Fantastic stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement