Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

• 06-03-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Mod:People, Please bare in mind that sports threads usually go in their respective fora - which already have effective, established rules in place suited to their content. We're letting this thread go ahead for now, but keep it light, Galway United related talk for the fans. Expect to get infracted for trolling if you're only here to shit stir. /Mod

As always, report a post if you think there is a problem with it, attacking other posters will not end well for you.

I thought Galway United's return to the Premier Division was worthy of a thread here. Is anyone planning to join President Michael D (and myself!) in attending the season opener against Derry City tomorrow night?

I haven't been paying much attention to the close season comings and goings so I don't know too much about the Galway squad but it will be a fairly tough start against Derry as they're always strong and well organised.

The weather forecast looks reasonably promising so hopefully we'll see a big crowd and a decent game of ball.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I can't wait. The fanzine 'Standing Room Only' is out again for the first tie since 1994. Ya can follow SRO on Twitter @galwayunited

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Careful now or Biko might come in and close this, clearly traffic is more to peoples liking in these parts.

Looking forward to the return of Premier Division football to Galway, Derry missing a couple of players through suspension so hopefully we can take advantage and have a positive start.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose we can leave it here for people that cannot find the Soccer forum.. :P
    We'll run with Soccer forum rules - any slagging of players, managers or clubs and you get carded.
    Keep it local folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The weather forecast looks reasonably promising so hopefully we'll see a big crowd and a decent game of ball.

Aside from the level 2 weather warning!!
    They'll be needing to keep it in the ground as best they can this evening. Unfortunately I can't go. Coaching my own girls on fridays

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Aside from the level 2 weather warning!!

Ah, sure, a pesky little level 2 weather warning is a routine occurrence in Galway these days!

I do have several layers of clothing at the ready, as it's a known fact that temperatures inside LOI grounds are at least five degrees lower than they are outside the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

How much is it in to the game later ? And is the car park likely to be full up well in advance ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Carpark will be closed an hour before kick off. It's €15 in for adults, €5 for teenagers and Under 12's are free when accompanied by an adult.

Car Park beside Black Box theatre is best option and it's a 5 minute walk .

Really looking forward to this game....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

youngrun wrote: »
    How much is it in to the game later ? And is the car park likely to be full up well in advance ? thanks

Ticket info here http://galwayunitedfc.ie/ticket-information/

The car park probably will fill up early.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Carpark will be closed an hour before kick off.

Will it? Gates don't open until 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

When there are 'big' games like this, people always go to the stadium early and wait in their cars. I've done this when I was bringing a friend to games who was on crutches. Gates officially open at 7pm but usually on gate is opened earlier when a large crowd is anticipated.

• Advertisement

Interesting team-by-team guide to the league here by the always very readable Daniel McDonnell:

[URL=]http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/teambyteam-guide-to-the-sse-airtricity-league-premier-division-31041908.html[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder how much of each ticket sold will go towards paying Michael's damages:

http://connachttribune.ie/councillor-wins-e22000-damages-for-sacking-by-galway-fa/

I wonder how much of each ticket sold will go towards paying Michael's damages:

http://connachttribune.ie/councillor-wins-e22000-damages-for-sacking-by-galway-fa/

That's the Galway Football Association, not Galway United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

not quiet sure why u are bringing micheal crowe into it .he has no connection with galway united .u really do have too much time on your hands . maybe u should get some fresh air for yourself instead of spendind 24 7 on here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

spurshero, if you want to keep posting then please step up the civility a few notches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭ratracer

You-night-ed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭spurshero

what about Mrs o brumble making a personal attack on a person who had no bearing on this thread . That's perfectly fine is it ? Serious question

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

People, Please bare in mind that sports threads usually go in their respective fora - which already have effective, established rules in place suited to their content. We're letting this thread go ahead for now, but keep it light, Galway United related talk for the fans. Expect to get infracted for trolling if you're only here to shit stir.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's a shame about the result. Sounds like United would have been worth a draw at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's a shame about the result. Sounds like United would have been worth a draw at least.

Ya i'll never know how we lost that game, absolutely dominated them in the first half and had a couple of chances in the early second half that we just didnt take. Great crowd up and hopefully things can better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

In Mrs OBumble's defence, that story said Galway FC when it was first published, and not Galway FA. They also said Galway FC when posting it to twitter/facebook, until they were corrected.

Some lovely passing football from Galway during the first half on Friday, but things fell apart after the break. The defending for Derry's two goals was farcical, and what's worrying is that it was one of weaker Derry sides I can remember seeing. United will need to be more ruthless in defence in order to be competitive in this division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Some lovely passing football from Galway during the first half on Friday, but things fell apart after the break. The defending for Derry's two goals was farcical, and what's worrying is that it was one of weaker Derry sides I can remember seeing. United will need to be more ruthless in defence in order to be competitive in this division.

Get Ludden back and hopefully the new American Garcia is decent and the defence should improve

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

It's Donegal Monday as Finn Harps are in town for a league cup clash tonight.

See you all in the Hole in the Wall :)

United 2-0 up against Harps at half-time. Padraic Cunningham and Gary Shanahan with the goals. Jason Molloy instrumental in both moves.

Starting line-up

https://twitter.com/GalwayUnitedFC/status/575011026309115904

https://twitter.com/GalwayUnitedFC/status/575047437640925184

Jake Keegan scored the 3rd from the penalty spot after he was taken down in the box.

Sligo Rovers in the next round, if I'm not mistaken, unless Mayo take their scalp tomorrow night.

Eight goals scored in United's first two competitive games at home this season. Nobody can argue that they're not getting their money's worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

https://twitter.com/GalwayUnitedFC/status/575047437640925184

Jake Keegan scored the 3rd from the penalty spot after he was taken down in the box.

Sligo Rovers in the next round, if I'm not mistaken, unless Mayo take their scalp tomorrow night.

Did Oji go off injured? Thought i saw that on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They need to sure up at the back but going forward they seem solid. The entire front line is impressive. I hope Cunningham gets more starts. He looked like something special at the end of last season and seems to link up well with Keegan

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement