Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leap Card capping question

Options
  • 24-04-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

My daily cap is €5 if I only have that on my card and nothing more will I be okay? Or does it take the full amount from the epurse and refund you at the end of the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That should work

The single fares will be deducted until a max of 5 euro has been deducted

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My daily cap is €5 if I only have that on my card and nothing more will I be okay?

That suggests that you only use one of Dublin Bus or Luas in which case the operator will stop deducting money from the card once you hit €5 which is the student cap for either one of those operators.

What if I only use one of the transport operators?

If you only use one transport operator, your Travel Credit use will be capped at the applicable rate for that operator.

Or does it take the full amount from the epurse and refund you at the end of the day?

If you use multiple operators then it isn't so clear, maybe some of the other posters can answer that.

There is a 'Dublin cap' which in your case (student) is €7.50 so let's say you use up your cap on DB and then start taking the Luas, what you're asking is:

'Will the Luas take up to €5 for multiple trips and will the system then refund me €2.50 overnight or will the Luas stop at the Dublin cap of €7.50 meaning that I won't be deducted more than €2.50 on the Luas having hit the DB cap of €5 earlier the same day?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

coylemj wrote: »
    That suggests that you only use one of Dublin Bus or Luas in which case the operator will stop deducting money from the card once you hit €5 which is the student cap for either one of those operators.

What if I only use one of the transport operators?

If you only use one transport operator, your Travel Credit use will be capped at the applicable rate for that operator.

If you use multiple operators then it isn't so clear, maybe some of the other posters can answer that.

There is a 'Dublin cap' which in your case (student) is €7.50 so let's say you use up your cap on DB and then start taking the Luas, what you're asking is:

'Will the Luas take up to €5 for multiple trips and will the system then refund me €2.50 overnight or will the Luas stop at the Dublin cap of €7.50 meaning that I won't be deducted more than €2.50 on the Luas having hit the DB cap of €5 earlier the same day?'

For clarification, I'll only be using DB. :)

I really just wanted to avoid any potentially embarrassing/inconvenient situations when I try board during rush hour traffic!

I loaded €5 onto the card earlier today, I have €1.05 left on it, so if I put the card on the validator will it scream at me that I don't have enough funds or no? :P

Also, this may complicate things more... I wanted to load a rambler onto it today as well... If I don't want a day of the rambler to be used do I go up to the DRIVER and ask for the flat fare home? And hope the machine recognises that my 1.05 will contribute towards the €5 cap and let me on? :pac:

I'm such a leap virgin everything's so new and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I loaded €5 onto the card earlier today, I have €1.05 left on it, so if I put the card on the validator will it scream at me that I don't have enough funds or no? :P

Also, this may complicate things more... I wanted to load a rambler onto it today as well... If I don't want a day of the rambler to be used do I go up to the DRIVER and ask for the flat fare home? And hope the machine recognises that my 1.05 will contribute towards the €5 cap and let me on? :pac:

Your balance is what is important, balance of 1.05 is not going to work

It will certainly let you make 1 journey, but after that you will have a negative balance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your balance is what is important, balance of 1.05 is not going to work

It will certainly let you make 1 journey, but after that you will have a negative balance

The balance is not the issue once he has spent the daily cap.

If the OP puts €5 on his card as he says and uses it exclusively on DB within one day then as soon as he has spent €5 it will stop deducting money because he's hit the cap. That's what the FAQ I quoted above says - if you only use one operator then that operator will stop deducting money once you hit the daily cap.

• Advertisement

Conflicting advice :eek:

I'm gonna try it anyway. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Conflicting advice :eek:

I'm gonna try it anyway. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!

An easy way to think of it, is imagine there is a counter that adds up each fare you are charged, once the counter reachs its limit, it wont charge any extra fares for that operator.

There is a seperate counter for dublin bus, luas and irish rail.

There is also a counter for them altogether, in the event you use different modes of transport.

The 1 day counters get reset overnight before services start the following day.

The 7 day counters are set to work from monday to sunday, so get reset overnight on sunday before mondays services start.

Edit;
    Also just to be aware, once you reach the cap, be it for the day or 7 days, you still need to tag on/off as inspectors generally only care that you validated for the journey you are on.

An easy way to think of it, is imagine there is a counter that adds up each fare you are charged, once the counter reachs its limit, it wont charge any extra fares for that operator.

There is a seperate counter for dublin bus, luas and irish rail.

There is also a counter for them altogether, in the event you use different modes of transport.

The 1 day counters get reset overnight before services start the following day.

The 7 day counters are set to work from monday to sunday, so get reset overnight on sunday before mondays services start.

Edit;
    Also just to be aware, once you reach the cap, be it for the day or 7 days, you still need to tag on/off as inspectors generally only care that you validated for the journey you are on.

It worked anyway :D Wish my shop was able to load the ramblers onto the leap and I wouldn't have had this worry at all! Ah well, live and learn

Advertisement