Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

• 21-05-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Before posting in this thread, make sure you have read and understood the overall forum charter. The Gentlemens Club, has a specific ethos and purpose, if you can't post within that, then you shouldn't post.

The Online Dating Thread Rules:

(1) No chit chat
    Means NO chit chat that does not relate to Online Dating/Experiences.
    ANY post deemed to be off topic will be deleted and you may face a ban or other sanction.

(2) Off topic Posts

If you see a post that is off topic, do not engage in the discussion, report the post.
    Note-Engaging in off topic discussion may also get you a ban or other sanction.

(3) This thread IS NOT for a place to pick up
    Do not come in here to pick up a boardsie, your posts will be deleted. If in the Mods view, this is why you have come to our forum, then you will end up banned, possibly permanently.
    Similarly, this is not a thread in which to learn the art of "Picking up" someone. It is against the Charter of the forum, therefore it carries a Permanent Ban.

(4) Your Online Dating Profile

Please do not ask for other boardsies to view your Online Dating Profile on thread. They clog up the thread and cause off topic discussion.
    If you do wish for a certain poster to view your Online Dating Profile, please use the PM function and ask the poster you wish to view your profile if they would mind obliging.

(5) Be civil to your fellow boardsies
    There is a zero toleration policy on posts deemed to be in any way derogatory/offensive.

(6) A Mod's decision IS FINAL.
    Ignorance of this warning is not an excuse.

(7) Do not quote pics or link to someone's ID profile, or include their. amd/any other identifying info in any post

(8) Be careful what you post
    Many boardsies enjoy the idea of not having their boards account/persona known by their "real life" friends, boss, co-workers etc. If this is you, please don't post facts and information about your personal life that will lead to you losing this relative anonymity. Basically, think before you post.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

So do people have any dates planned?? Or success stories :D

Lar will kill me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Meeting a lass during the week. That's about it really. Was supposed to go to a gala with the same girl but she was exhausted so Connect 4 tournament part deux is ooooonnnn like donkey kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Pembily wrote: »
    So do people have any dates planned?? Or success stories :D

Lar will kill me :pac:

I'm supposed to have a date this week. He wanted me to go yesterday, but gave me only a few hours of notice, and I was hungover.

Haven't signed into my accounts in about a week, though.

Cinema date seems like a very bad first date IMO, which is what my guy has asked me on. Hmm.

Anyone else got any dates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Yay online dating thread!

I think pof has me in Cork today, the amount of views from there...

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Cinema date seems like a very bad first date IMO, which is what my guy has asked me on. Hmm.

I hate cinema dates... I don't mind going to the cinema with people I know but to go to a cinema with a lass I don't know at all... IN SILENCE... is a terrible idea in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Cinema Date would be a bad choice i'd have guessed. what if you didnt like the person? you'd be stuck there for 2 hours!

Cinema Date would be a bad choice i'd have guessed. what if you didnt like the person? you'd be stuck there for 2 hours!

You probably won't even get to make up your mind as to whether or not you like the person given that you've barely had a chance to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Sort of struggling at the moment. Was talking to a girl on okc and things were going great. Loads in common and we sent loads of messages so obviously it seemed normal to ask her out to which she replied she was just out of a serious relationship with someone she had met off the site and wasnt ready to meet anyone else. She is logged into the site every single day though.... :(

timmy880 wrote: »
    Sort of struggling at the moment. Was talking to a girl on okc and things were going great. Loads in common and we sent loads of messages so obviously it seemed normal to ask her out to which she replied she was just out of a serious relationship with someone she had met off the site and wasnt ready to meet anyone else. She is logged into the site every single day though.... :(

I don't get that. It's a DATING SITE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Messaged a girl on POF on the weekend, got back a torrent of text speak. Decided to give the benefit of the doubt and try to push on the conversation and got a bit of back and forth all in text speak so just gave up after a while.

Thinking of quitting online dating and just get a cat. :pac:

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    Messaged a girl on POF on the weekend, got back a torrent of text speak. Decided to give the benefit of the doubt and try to push on the conversation and got a bit of back and forth all in text speak so just gave up after a while.

Thinking of quitting online dating and just get a cat. :pac:

I don't like cats, so there is no hope for me at all!

I am not giving up, with OD you have to take it with a grain of salt and have a very tough skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I don't like cats, so there is no hope for me at all!

I am not giving up, with OD you have to take it with a grain of salt and have a very tough skin!

Yeah it's not the rejection or anything like that as it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's the boredom of logging in to constantly see the same people over and over. I understand why now any "fresh meat" get's assaulted by dozens of messages once they join up as there are hundreds of bored people just waiting for something new and different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Was asked on POF what my problem was with guys looking for casual sex, and suggested I should be flattered. I think I'm just on that for the lol factor. Real life is going a bit better than online.

Maguined wrote: »
    Yeah it's not the rejection or anything like that as it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's the boredom of logging in to constantly see the same people over and over. I understand why now any "fresh meat" get's assaulted by dozens of messages once they join up as there are hundreds of bored people just waiting for something new and different.

And it was the same on Beautiful People, I saw the same faces :( :rolleyes:

POF has different faces BUT there are nearly tooo many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Got chatting to really cute and friendly girl (practically my dream girl :P) on Sat night, spent the night and following morning messaging. She was sending lots of nice big long messages, seemed really really keen, I was thinking, may have a possible date here :)

Sent a reply last night. She was online and she was on for a bit today, nothing, think I've been blanked again :(

I know it hasn't been a day yet, but with my recent experiences of being blanked after I thought it was going well, I'm very cynical :cool:

Oh another thing... A girl I exchanged a few messages with earlier last week, stopped replying for three or four days but was online a lot (the chat option for her showed up on my inbox) started messaging me like crazy last night all interested. I'm not sure kinda fells like I may be a consolation prize cause it didn't work out with someone else?

What would you lot do? Feel the same and ignore or go with the flow and see what happens?

Herrick wrote: »
    Got chatting to really cute and friendly girl (practically my dream girl :P) on Sat night, spent the night and following morning messaging. She was sending lots of nice big long messages, seemed really really keen, I was thinking, may have a possible date here :)

Sent a reply last night. She was online and she was on for a bit today, nothing, think I've been blanked again :(

I know it hasn't been a day yet, but with my recent experiences of being blanked after I thought it was going well, I'm very cynical :cool:

Oh another thing... A girl I exchanged a few messages with earlier last week, stopped replying for three or four days but was online a lot (the chat option for her showed up on my inbox) started messaging me like crazy last night all interested. I'm not sure kinda fells like I may be a consolation prize cause it didn't work out with someone else?

What would you lot do? Feel the same and ignore or go with the flow and see what happens?
    Personally, stop messaging her! I had faith and I thought otherwise but do you really want to be someone's second fiddle? If a guy isn't messaging me regularly, or stopping during the weekend, I stop messaging, I am someones first choice or they don't get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Personally, stop messaging her! I had faith and I thought otherwise but do you really want to be someone's second fiddle? If a guy isn't messaging me regularly, or stopping during the weekend, I stop messaging, I am someones first choice or they don't get a chance.

Thanks Pembily :) No I don't, that's for sure. I was thinking maybe it was because there's a bit of distance (1hr 30 drive) and she hasn't got a car. I figured maybe she was more interested in someone close to home.

But sure I suppose that wouldn't stop you if you were really interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Got date. She smokes, which is a toughie for me, but we've connected well otherwise, so maybe I'll get over it/she'll give up. Who knows!

Herrick wrote: »
    Thanks Pembily :) No I don't, that's for sure. I was thinking maybe it was because there's a bit of distance (1hr 30 drive) and she hasn't got a car. I figured maybe she was more interested in someone close to home.

But sure I suppose that wouldn't stop you if you were really interested.

If someone is interested they will make the effort! Trust me.

Owen, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You could say the same thing about going on a dinner date. That's worse. Having to watch them eat for 2 hours!

Or take a break from it. ;)
    Owen wrote: »
    Got date. She smokes, which is a toughie for me, but we've connected well otherwise, so maybe I'll get over it/she'll give up. Who knows!

Everyone has their vices! Once you can't smell it/taste it off her, it's not really a problem. Yeah, she will probably have COPD in 30 years time but sure just live for now! :pac: Seriously though, if there's a connection its not too big a thing to over look, right?

Fingers crossed for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Seriously considering deleting my POF account. Absolutely NOTHING happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Seriously considering deleting my POF account.

thinking of doing the same.. I'm chatting with a few guys but don't think any of them are really interested in me... keeping me on the back burner so to speak. As i haven't been pushing to meet any of them either I think maybe I'm not that interested either. Don't want to be messing anyone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Have a date arranged for next week. We'll see though! She's in Italy this week, may not be interested meeting up still when she gets back, so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ladylost wrote: »
    thinking of doing the same.. I'm chatting with a few guys but don't think any of them are really interested in me... keeping me on the back burner so to speak. As i haven't been pushing to meet any of them either I think maybe I'm not that interested either. Don't want to be messing anyone around.

AT least you're actually chatting to people!!! I've sent messages/tried to chat with people, but got no replies

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

So I'm back on the market after a few months! A bit hesitant to get back into online dating.. let's just say from reading our (hilarious) threads the people who have success are the very lucky and small minority!

So, from memory, I'd have to look through 30 or so profiles to find one I would really be interested in. This might take 10 minutes.

I'd take 10 minutes, on average to read a profile and write a nice message.
    Total Time: 20 minutes

I would get a 15% response rate to messages.
    Total Time: 130 minutes to get one reply

The bulk of the messages would lead nowhere they might fizzle out or we might not be compatible. Let's say I exchange 5 messages before it either ends or progresses to SMS.
    Total Time: 180 minutes to get a good conversation

One in 5 might lead to a date.
    Total Time: 900 minutes to get a date

I'm essentially spending 15 hours to get a date. I honestly do not think my calculations are far off. Out of all the dates I've been on from OD I ended up seeing one girl, who was lovely, for a short while but it was going nowhere. I honestly do not think it is worth the investment of time needed to get a return! I would be very curious to hear from my fellow boardsies how much time they have to put in to get a date! Maybe I'm too picky, but that's another thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Definite feast or famine territory for me. I went from nothing happening to getting several numbers in the space of a few days. Although I am sort of just trying to concentrate on one girl at a time. I met up with a girl last night for a while. We started chatting on Sat night on the phone and got on like a house on fire. However I'm not sure it was quite the same in person.

At the end she asked if I fancied going out again and I said ok so she said we'd arrange something after I get back from a short trip away. Although if I'm honest, I get the impression neither of us are that interested.

But at the same time, it wasn't one of those cases where I definitely wasn't interested. In these situations I always try to remember two couples I know who are now married and who weren't so enamoured with each other the first time they met but which changed as time went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hooray I get my first post in the shiny new thread to be a positive one. Was mailing a girl from POF all week. We exchanged numbers yesterday and have penciled in a date for Monday (as we are both quite busy this week). She seems quite cool so hopefully it goes well.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Give her the benefit of another date G-Money, especially if you got on well on the phone.

First date nerves are a killer at times, and can cause people to be cautious, or on their best behaviour, or overly chatty or of course drink too much and yes sometimes it takes more than one or two dates to figure out if you like someone.

Speaking from personal experience my first encounter with the guy I'm now dating a few months, was a complete disaster but we hung out a few times, letting things progress into 'something' and we're happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

yes sometimes it takes more than one or two drinks to figure out if you like someone.

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

First time posting in this type of thread and being honest, I have no idea what I am doing! I send messages often enough but rarely get anything back. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I do my best to type a good opening message but nothing seems to come out of it. :(

I'm considering deleting my POF and OKcupid profiles at this rate as nothing EVER seems to happen for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement