Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Afternoon bike trip

• 20-01-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I would love to go on an afternoon bike trip :) Went on one years ago and love it! But I don't know anyone who owns a bike. Don't think I would have the confidence to drive one so my only option would be to go on a bike trip as a passenger. Any ideas/suggestions??
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Get a bike! Seriously you won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Fabio wrote: »
    Get a bike and lessons! Seriously you won't regret it!

Fixed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Giant leap of faith to go from wanting to experience a bike trip to buying a bike and taking lessons, to say the least! Thanks anyway.

It's not that big a leap really Lush.

Look at it this way, you were on two wheels before and liked it. I assume you have places to be from day to day whether it be work or whatever and a bike would serve you two purposes.

- It would get you to places you need to be quicker and cheaper than a car.

- It would also serve to give you miles of smiles as you liked it last time, well imagine having the freedom to hop on that saddle and get out on the open road whenever you want to.

Now that you're leap of faith is that bit smaller...

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough. I had a bike trip once. I was a passenger on bike. I have never driven a bike. I am not interested in buying a bike. I would just like an afternoon bike trip as a passenger. I guess I just have to find someone who owns a bike. Thx anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

few questions u will have to consider first

• do you have ur own gear - lid, armoured jacket, trousers, gloves and boots
    • would you consider urself a good pillion
    • how often were u pillion
    • personal question - would u be considered heavy or light
    • Are u tall or small
    • is there any restriction with when you would be available to go for a spin
    • where abouts in Irelnad do you live
    the reason i ask these questions would be farely obvious to anyone that might be in a position to take you pillion.

Taking a person pillion on a bike is totally different to giving someone a lift in a car, a bad pillion can seriously effect the handling of a bike.

hopefully you meet someone that will help you out. I know i was pillion on different bikes for 33 yrs before i got my own bike. Now i am very choosy who i would go pillion with. Been told i am an excellent pillion, so good that many a pilot has forgotten i am there ;)

HI Lilliput69,
    -don't have my own gear
    -I feel i am a good pillion if these means doing exactly what the driver asks
    -I was a pillion about 3 times
    -I am 5'8" and weight 11 1/2 stone
    -I work normal hours so weekends would be best
    -I live in Dublin

All this talk about bikes is making me think maybe I should think about taking some lessons. Can you rent gear when you take lessons?
    Thx

lushballs wrote: »
    HI Lilliput69,
    -don't have my own gear
    -I live in Dublin

All this talk about bikes is making me think maybe I should think about taking some lessons. Can you rent gear when you take lessons?
    Thx

Aha!!! Told ya!!!:p (not about the lessons admittedly but about the leap of faith!)

Just messing, only do it if YOU want to :) .

Anyway yeah I think you can rent gear out but I'm not completely sure. If you want to be a pillion with someone you'll need gear anyway so it might be wise to invest in a helmet. Helmets don't have to cost the earth so shop around cos you can actually get decent ones for about €100, just look for the right features, look for the ECE approval tag and look for an ACU Gold Sticker at the back and look up the Sharp Motorcycle Helmet tests online. Some "cheaper" lids actually got very good ratings in that government test.

Sorry I'm blabbering (but hey you're learning and so am I I suppose!)

What you could do is get in touch with a group of bikers in Dublin through irishbikerforum.com or biker.ie and go from there with your plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

HI Lilliput69,
    -don't have my own gear
    -I live in Dublin

Thx

First bit of advice i can give is get urself to the bike show at the end of Feb, u will pick up some decent gear there as in Helmet and boots, neither of which i would recommend buying second hand

Have a look on Ebay for Jacket and trousers.

Size wise ur about average so ur height and weight won't be a problem as a pillion.

Go and Join IBF (irishbikerforum) they organise regular sunday morning breakfast runs, go along in a car and meet up with some of them, it won't happen over night but once you get to know them (they are really nice, i know alot of them) i am sure one of them will be more than happy to take u pillion, they also have a freebie section where members donate their unwanted bike gear and other stuff.

One step at a time, gear first ;)

Look on Eba

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I have a bike and my questions are:

- Are you a woman?
    - Could you PM me a picture of yourself?

Depending on the answers to these two questions you could be in a chance to win a free motorcycle trip! :D

• Advertisement

I said 'bike trip' not bike ride :0

Erra tis all the same, those words are just technicalities haha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LOL !

Mind you....that still doesn't tell us which........!! :D:D

I'm sure a witticism will be along, shortly :p

....well, seeing as the subject is out there......is there an SO ? And, what's his/(her ? - LOL this'll get confusing)...think of you taking off on a bike sans him/her. DAMHIK :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

...er hold on, I know who you are.... :eek: :eek:

Aertel, Network 2, Page 717......and then page 10, 2nd entry..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...er hold on, I know who you are.... :eek: :eek:

Aertel, Network 2, Page 717......and then page 10, 2nd entry..........

71103.PNG
    How the fook did you spot that?? :p

Heh Heh Heh....:D

Isn't technology handy ??

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement