Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    baddebt wrote: »
    I'm at odds with myself as to wehter or not I should get gamepass this season,

I don't have Skysports( too expensive)

, last few seasons have been watching( or should I say trying to watch) the Bears games on streaming websites , but these websites can be so fechin frustrating ,

Decisions decisions

Go for it. It is good value esp if you buy it now. You'll get all of training camp and preseason too. I don't have Sky either for same reason (waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Honestly from my perspective Gamepass has always been the waste of money. Its a thorough package but one that's always felt overpriced and that's before we even get to having a strong enough Internet connection to watch it in a resumption comparable to my tv.

I'm sure NFL super fans get great use out of it but the Sky Sports/ESPN bundle offers far more in terms of college football and other US sports, nevermind other sports I watch like boxing and rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Syferus wrote: »
    Honestly from my perspective Gamepass has always been the waste of money. Its a thorough package but one that's always felt overpriced and that's before we even get to having a strong enough Internet connection to watch it in a resumption comparable to my tv.

I'm sure NFL super fans get great use out of it but the Sky Sports/ESPN bundle offers far more in terms of college football and other US sports, nevermind other sports I watch like boxing and rugby.

It's pricey yes but when you follow a team passionately and want to see every min of every game of theirs it is a no brainer. On top of that like I said you get to watch all the NFL Network stuff if you are so inclined. For me Sky's American football package is lame. Poor presentation compounded by you having to watch what they decide to show (rarely my team).

I think this year's get in early deal is the best deal they've had in a few years. Sky can whistle as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and btw I've no interest in watching the college game. Yes I get interested come draft day but during the season, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

everyone's different

for me ...signing up for Skysports for 12months @30odd eur a month is a waste ,
    Amercian football season only runs for 5months , so 7months waste , as I don't like Permiership football , or rugby or Darts,

Gamepass is offering me the Quality picture with the flexiable price ,
    Streaming offers me free NFL , but with interruptions , poor quality picture and lots fo frustations leading to broken Keyboards , sore hands and headaches :), ok Bears having a crap season doesn't help either .

so gamepass for this season and see how we go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

baddebt wrote: »
    everyone's different

for me ...signing up for Skysports for 12months @30odd eur a month is a waste ,
    Amercian football season only runs for 5months , so 7months waste
    , as I don't like Permiership football , or rugby or Darts,

Gamepass is offering me the Quality picture with the flexiable price ,
    Streaming offers me free NFL , but with interruptions , poor quality picture and lots fo frustations leading to broken Keyboards , sore hands and headaches :), ok Bears having a crap season doesn't help either .

so gamepass for this season and see how we go

Why would you stay signed up for twelve months when the season is only five?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Sky sports is a no brainer for me. Red zone on Sunday, as well as taping the Thursday night games. Great to get all the Heineken cup games too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Both should be a no brainer tbh. However if your picking I'd go with gamepass. Even if your a fan of other sports you can nearly always find a very good quality stream online of popular sports that are on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

Do we know what games are blacked out I wana get game pass but if I miss 5+ eagles games there's no point

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well you won't know until Sky announce which games they will be showing which is usually just the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well you won't know until Sky announce which games they will be showing which is usually just the week before.

there is a list of teams subject to blackouts on the previous page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

there is a list of teams subject to blackouts on the previous page.

That was from last year though wasn't it.

Basically how any times each team was on sky at 6pm or 9pm on a Sunday.

It will change a good bit from year to year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    nerd69 wrote: »
    Do we know what games are blacked out I wana get game pass but if I miss 5+ eagles games there's no point

We don't know for sure yet, but Sky did show 5 Eagles games live last season (the 2nd most behind the Giants) and considering this year they're expected to challenge, if that goes to plan then with games against the Ravens, Giants x2, Steelers, Lions, Saints, RGIII x2, Cam Newton and the Cowboys x2 to play this season I wouldn't be surprised to see them one of the top shown teams on Sky. Just a complete guess on my part though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    That was from last year though wasn't it.

Basically how any times each team was on sky at 6pm or 9pm on a Sunday.

It will change a good bit from year to year though.

yup you're dead right, don't mind me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

well that sucks looks like another year of crappy streams for me cheers for the feedback lads

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    Copy of an email senttoday to gamepass.support@nfl.com

Hello,
    If my Gamepass subscription auto-renewal is still swithched on, please cancel it , because of this:

For Users accessing in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
    A: Weekly blackout restrictions apply to all subscriptions (Season Plus, Season, Monthly, Weekly, and Follow Your Team) for locally televised games during both the 1pm ET and 4pm ET game windows on Sunday. These live game broadcasts will be blacked out in your area while the game is in progress. You will be able to watch them in the NFL Game Pass archives six (6) days after their conclusion

The NFL Playoffs are not available for live streaming within NFL Game Pass in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    I took the plunge and signed up. It works out at less than a tenner a week.....

Have Sky Sports too, but if Aston Villa had a package like this, I'd cancel the Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kevinb99101

I just mailed NFL GamePass support to let them know that I was unhappy with the new restrictions that they are imposing and that they should revert to the feature set that was available last year. They sent back a canned response about 15 min later saying that there was nothing they could so and that the restrictions would stay in place this year.

so looks like I'll be stuck trying to find on-line streams when the bears games are shown on sky sports - pain in the a$$..

Do sky sports have the red-zone channel? that was one of my fav features of the GamePass package.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams

Do sky sports have the red-zone channel? that was one of my fav features of the GamePass package.....

Sky Sports from Sky has Red Zone. UPC Sky Sports doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Syferus wrote: »
    Why would you stay signed up for twelve months when the season is only five?

Sky is pretty mediocre for the NFL and no way would I have it if it was just for that. It's one of those things that if you're into one or a few of the Premier League, Heineken Cup, Cricket and everything else they have then it's worth it.

If your priority is NFL only it's a complete waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

themont85 wrote: »
    Sky is pretty mediocre for the NFL and no way would I have it if it was just for that. It's one of those things that if you're into one or a few of the Premier League, Heineken Cup, Cricket and everything else they have then it's worth it.

If your priority is NFL only it's a complete waste.

Not if you like redzone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

matthew8 wrote: »
    Not if you like redzone.

If Redzone is blocked on Gamepass that is...

Even still, not worth it if your priority is the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

TBH I don't think using last season's live games per team is much of an indicator of what they'll show this season. Having said that, I obviously don't know what their criteria are.

In fairness though, I remember looking at each weekend's fixtures and each weekend I was thinking there were at least one or two games I'd prefer to watch to the live one they were showing at 6 (I guess they don't have a choice for the 9pm slot as there is/are only one/two game per week scheduled at this time). So for people who are interested in the sport but don't claim to be a "fan" of a team based five thousand miles away, the clincher won't necessarily be whether or not you can watch the Sky games. Although taking this place as a snapshot of NFL's Irish following, I see most people obviously have their favourite teams. I'd say the Colts are my favourite team but when something like Giants v Packers rolls around live on Sky I can't see myself watching Indianapolis @ Jacksonville at the same time…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Has anyone found out/confirmed if you buy your gamepass subscription in Ireland with an Irish credit card but log in using a VPN to say you are in another region will redzone be available and black outs lifted?

Or if I use a VPN to pretend I am in another region to sign up but log in without a VPN will it revert me to the blackouts etc?

Anyone looked into that?

That's been the case in the past.

On the NFLUK forum there was a veiled threat that any attempt to get around the restrictions would result in your account being suspended without refund.

I'd imagine it will be fine to do that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Vikings wrote: »
    Has anyone found out/confirmed if you buy your gamepass subscription in Ireland with an Irish credit card but log in using a VPN to say you are in another region will redzone be available and black outs lifted?

Or if I use a VPN to pretend I am in another region to sign up but log in without a VPN will it revert me to the blackouts etc?

Anyone looked into that?

Where you sign up has no bearing on whether you get blacked out or not (and that is determined by your credit card address not your IP address).

It is where you are accessing the service that determines access. So if you are an Irish subscriber but in Sweden for example on your holidays, you won't be blacked out while you are there.

So unless you have a foreign cc, you'll have to sign up as being from Ireland but hopefully the use of a VPN will get us access to blacked out games.

VPNs are fairly secure (well ones bought from reputable suppliers) so there's no way they'll be able to monitor where people are viewing from so I wouldn't worry about threats of getting cut off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

what is the deal with a 'blackout?

why do they exist, what do they achieve?

and why do we paddys get blacked out!?

i was going to sign up for the pass but having no RedZone is a massive loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

WilcoOut wrote: »
    what is the deal with a 'blackout?

why do they exist, what do they achieve?

and why do we paddys get blacked out!?

i was going to sign up for the pass but having no RedZone is a massive loss

Sky (probably) pay a lot of money for the rights to the NFL games and to make that money back they need to sell subscriptions and advertising. If everyone is watching on Gamepass, their numbers will be down so revenue will be down as well so they make a deal with the NFL to have blackouts so people will still subscribe and watch so advertisers will pay to advertise during the games.

As for Ireland being included, Sky (or it could be ESPN, whoever) have the right s for both the UK and Ireland so that's why we're getting stung with the blackouts too. I'd say it was just an oversight that we got away with it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads, not to get anyone's hopes up and I'd urge people who are thinking of signing up if there's no restrictions not to sign up until they have official confirmation, but has anyone seen the new 2012 FAQ on the Gamepass website?

http://gamepassuk.support.nfl.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=363224&SPID=44867&DB_OEM_ID=22900&ATCLID=205459254

Are there any blackouts with NFL Game Pass?

No, all games in NFL Game Pass are available live and without blackout restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Tough shít Paully, my hopes are now up. This is all on you if it goes tits up!!

• Advertisement

you missed the *

*Additional blackout restrictions apply in the UK and Republic of Ireland, and Canada.
    Are there any blackouts with NFL Game Pass?

Weekly blackout restrictions apply to all subscriptions (Season Plus, Season, Monthly, Weekly, and Follow Your Team) for locally televised games during both the 1pm ET and 4pm ET game windows on Sunday. These live game broadcasts will be blacked out in your area while the game is in progress. You will be able to watch them in the NFL Game Pass archives six (6) days after their conclusion. These blackout restrictions apply to the Condensed Game archives of the selected games as well. Monday, Thursday and Sunday Night games as well as U.S. Thanksgiving Day games will not be subject to black outs in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Additional game restrictions may be added throughout the season due to regional broadcast rights.

NFL RedZone is not available in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

The NFL Playoffs are not available for live streaming within NFL Game Pass in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Full replays of all Playoff games will be available as VOD content with the purchase of the NFL Game Pass - Season Plus or NFL Game Pass - Offseason subscriptions in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Playoff games, including the Super Bowl, will be available six (6) days after the conclusion of the game broadcast.

Advertisement