Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restriction..What do they take as ur BHP?

• 14-01-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Greetings

Started a new thread, to not hijack the 'Anyone buying a bike in 09' one.

There was a thread last year where the ins and outs of restriction were discussed (here) and how would it be proved what ur bike was. Not many answers there tho.

Does anyone know if they take the factory spec BHP as the power of ur bike or the current BHP that ur bike produces? And if the gardai dont care, what would the insurance companies take as the power of ur machine if the were invesigating a claim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

The factory output would be what they use. If your bike was 40bhp when it left the factory 10 years ago, it more than likely still isn't 40bhp but that is what the insurance company would use. The insurance company is going to try any way it can to get out of paying out a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Been looking into this a lot also. Anyone able to shed some light on if you're permitted to drive a bike with more than 33bhp if it falls below the power/weight ratio? Also what about a bike with less than 33bhp but a higher power/weight ratio.
    I can't find a definitive answer on this anywhere, some people saying it has to meet both criteria, others saying either or is good enough :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Unless its factory restricted .. they take it at the factory spec.. Shop restricted books are too easy to un restrict again. This happens definately with insurance as I asked the question when I was getting my bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Been looking into this a lot also. Anyone able to shed some light on if you're permitted to drive a bike with more than 33bhp if it falls below the power/weight ratio? Also what about a bike with less than 33bhp but a higher power/weight ratio.
    I can't find a definitive answer on this anywhere, some people saying it has to meet both criteria, others saying either or is good enough :confused:

IT's been a while since i done my test, but you'll be doing well to find any guard, insurance guy or anyone in the motor tax office to be able to explain the ins and outs of it. I know i'm no help, but finding out what you need, and what you can drive when you're starting out is a nightmare! Try www.biker.ie they have millions of threads on it

Advertisement