Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go **** yourself THQ

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

"If you own a CD you don't own the right to copy that CD in lots of places," says James Binns, head of Edge International and PC gaming at Future Publishing.
    "You own the physical form of the disk but not the content on it. It's the same with a video console.
    "You own the plastic and the metal but the software that runs on it is different from the device you own and Sony can claim some control over that."

Article here. Now, to bed with it all. To summarize you probably don't own anything in your room, technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Like I mentioned before:

You down own a world of Warcraft account. You just rent it out. It is in terms and conditions.

Sounds very dirty to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

hightower1 wrote: »
    Can you link a specific line in the text where it will say this? Ijust dont have the time to read the entire document.
    I woud disagree with you here, when you buy a disk you are buying teh content on that disk... locked or unlocked. Not supplying the end user with a key to unlock the content is simply a countermeasure not a legal restriction. Its the software equivilent of using anti tampering screws to close a devices case. They are not legal safeguards but a deterent to stop one acessnig areas of a purchased product.

PART VII
    Technological Protection Measures
    Chapter 1
    Rights Protection Measures
    Nor does the developer own any specific lines of code on a disk you bought.
    Varik wrote: »
    obviously as the Unreal engine is in nearly everything, but they do licence it and have to themselves obey those terms.
    You seem to think the unreal engine creator is based in the game itself? The unreal engine code on a game disc is not the same code used by developers to build games. That is only licenced to devs and does not go on each and ever disk, if you were to add the same program that devs use to build games to each disc the size would be huge.

Really so where did you read that in my post, did i mention the Unreal dev kit anywhere. I was responding to your statement that the developers do not own everything on the disc and used the Unreal game engine as an example of how that's obvious.
    In Sonys case where geohotz was threatend with legal action you'll find that was for distro of the jailbreak and use of that device on PSN ... not modding the console itself.

It was for more than one thing if you read all the claims against him.

I said it was legal in Spain as an example and illegal in the UK, it is not universally legal/illegal throughout the whole world. But it is in illegal in most of the EU where Directive 2001/29/EC was added to local laws.
    I think your slightly confused here, the example you state is in refrence to cars being limited by speed limits. This is not limiting what you do TO your property but how you USE your property. As I said, modding a console or game disk is not illegal, trying to use that disc or console on a service is.

Where are you reading this in my post i made no reference to speed, while most laws are in relation to what is road legal speed is not the be all and end all.

If you want an example, Radar detectors/scramblers installed or used in a car are illegal to even posses.
    You can install a 4.5ltr engine in a astra if you like. Opel will not persue you for alternig their product, you can drive it about all you want BUT you are only beaking the law if you break the speed limit.

Depends who installed it and the specifics but the NCT could fail it, as the emission levels are based on the year/model of the vehicle regardless of the size of the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

if they block used games it would be a sad dat for all. pretty much every game retailer out there will go bust and its going to remove the need for competitive pricing. if you think games are expensive now just wait till you see what this could do 100 euro games sound stupid but it will happen look at the prices of games in australia and you see were getting off relatively lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

If this takes away the second hand game market, all they will end up doing is creating a much bigger (I reckon rampant) piracy scene for consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

oxo_ wrote: »
    If this takes away the second hand game market, all they will end up doing is creating a much bigger (I reckon rampant) piracy scene for consoles.

So in a scenario where some people may not be being able to buy as many games as they might currently do, the response will be an increase in piracy rather than, say, simply not buying as many games?

When the hell did video games cross from luxury entertainment item into must have necessity?
    I must have missed that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So in a scenario where some people may not be being able to buy as many games as they might currently do, the response will be an increase in piracy rather than, say, simply not buying as many games?

When the hell did video games cross from luxury entertainment item into must have necessity?

Em, isn't that the general 'incentive' people have to pirate? Isn't cheaper than paying full whack?

Theoretically, if there was a hack found that enabled the offline/use of pirated games, it'd be a massive incentive to those who are inclined to pirate over purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,479 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

frankly for me the situation with pirate games is im not bothered when the legit route is as convenient as it has gotten.

Movies though. Movies are still easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Developers love mechanisms which kill off the second hand market - it is one of the reasons why some developers are so attracted to SteamWorks for example.

Never suggested they were must have necessities but hype, good reviews, friends having same games, word of mouth and so on - can lead to a high demand for games at times in a market dominated by the purchasing power of mostly kids.

If the second hand market is done in, people will be pissed off and hold little support for games companies.
    Games companies, especially large corporate PR spinning morons like THQ, EA, et all haven't got a clue how bad this will effect them so I hope it actually does destroy them and they learn things the hard way.

If a player is looking at buying a game or purchasing for the same or cheaper price a simplistic USB plug-in device that allows them play any number of games, probably from ISO images downloaded and stored on a cheap external HD - there won't be many that will resist the temptation.

Especially when you consider even the rental market will be destroyed also. So who in their right mind will take a 60 euro+ gamble on a game they'll possibly bin after an hour because it's crap ?
    Some will, a few times maybe, but after a while of being burned from blowing 60+ euro on crap worthless games they can't even sell-on afterwards, they'll just buy the easy to use modchip and download the games.

I don't think it will destroy consoles either (piracy that is) as you just need to look at Nintendo with their easily accessible and cheap piracy being absolutely rampant for years on their various consoles - they still turn a profit most of the time.

I've little love for the second hand retailers either tbh, I think some would be glad to see them out of business given the outrageous profits some of them turn on games compared to what they paid out for them to the customer.

Anyway, I think they'll push ahead with this either way, the consoles will be released and a cheap easy to use modchip will also be released within a month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

TBH I think we'd see a scenario develop where people would buy two consoles, one untouched for playing online games over Sony and Microsofts respective services and another console thats chipped for playing pirate single player games offline.

Seeing as the good online MP games are really worth the cash I wouldnt mind holding on to them and get the second console chipped, it would pay back itself over time of buying ****ty 10 hr single player only games at a fiver each pirated rather than full price. I know its what Id do. In that scenario the devs still wouldnt get a return on this, about the only people to profit would be MS and Sony.

I think a lot of it boils down to a massive difference between what devs perceive to be value and what consumers perceive as value. For me the likes of Battlefield and COD are good value based on the amount of time one would spend playing the game per year but the likes of The darkness 2 I wouldnt see as being worth a full 60 eur and wouldnt buy without trading against it. Realistically I just dont think spending 60 eur on a game that will last me a week at max just isnt worth it but clearly developers think that it is.

Developers love mechanisms which kill off the second hand market - it is one of the reasons why some developers are so attracted to SteamWorks for example.

Steam isn't a great example to use as it's PC/MAC based and everyone really knows there never was a second hand market for PC games (for years now).

PC got fecked over long ago with the stuff they're only now suggesting to be brought in for consoles.

Steam, MMO's and Indie developers brought PC gaming back to a manageable level. Otherwise it would have been destroyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Steam isn't a great example to use as it's PC/MAC based and everyone really knows there never was a second hand market for PC games (for years now).

PC got fecked over long ago with the stuff they're only now suggesting to be brought in for consoles.

Steam, MMO's and Indie developers brought PC gaming back to a manageable level. Otherwise it would have been destroyed.

Well, OK I guess you are right in saying that there is no longer a real market for second hand PC games - but I still think it illustrates that if a developer is presented with a workable option to limit the second hand market for their games then they are likely to choose it.

Steam is great though (if I do say so myself! :D), as it actually gives the player extra features rather than just solely placing restrictions on the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Games companies, especially large corporate PR spinning morons like THQ, EA, et all haven't got a clue how bad this will effect them so I hope it actually does destroy them and they learn things the hard way.
    And this would lead to what for gamers? A smaller number of quality games.
    If a player is looking at buying a game or purchasing for the same or cheaper price a simplistic USB plug-in device that allows them play any number of games, probably from ISO images downloaded and stored on a cheap external HD - there won't be many that will resist the temptation.
    No company should be held to ransom by consumers with the moral compass of a bin bag.
    Especially when you consider even the rental market will be destroyed also. So who in their right mind will take a 60 euro+ gamble on a game they'll possibly bin after an hour because it's crap ?
    Some will, a few times maybe, but after a while of being burned from blowing 60+ euro on crap worthless games they can't even sell-on afterwards, they'll just buy the easy to use modchip and download the games.
    Play the demo. Read the reviews. Listen to what others have to say. Shop around. All of these will avoid you spending €60 on a game you'll bin so quickly.
    I don't think it will destroy consoles either (piracy that is) as you just need to look at Nintendo with their easily accessible and cheap piracy being absolutely rampant for years on their various consoles - they still turn a profit most of the time.
    It didn't affect Nintendo, it affected nearly every third party publisher/developer who released a title on the DS and, to a lesser extent, the Wii.
    TBH I think we'd see a scenario develop where people would buy two consoles, one untouched for playing online games over Sony and Microsofts respective services and another console thats chipped for playing pirate single player games offline.
    As above, where do you think this will leave gamers? It boggles my mind how people can on one hand complain about the introduction of unnecessary multiplayer modes into games and single player campaigns being too short when they adopt that kind of attitude.
    Seeing as the good online MP games are really worth the cash I wouldnt mind holding on to them and get the second console chipped, it would pay back itself over time of buying ****ty 10 hr single player only games at a fiver each pirated rather than full price. I know its what Id do. In that scenario the devs still wouldnt get a return on this, about the only people to profit would be MS and Sony.
    Congratulations on becoming a thief and as big a detriment to the industry as the bull**** some of the companies that you're decrying pull.
    I think a lot of it boils down to a massive difference between what devs perceive to be value and what consumers perceive as value. For me the likes of Battlefield and COD are good value based on the amount of time one would spend playing the game per year but the likes of The darkness 2 I wouldnt see as being worth a full 60 eur and wouldnt buy without trading against it. Realistically I just dont think spending 60 eur on a game that will last me a week at max just isnt worth it but clearly developers think that it is.
    There are many many gamers who still consider single player games with campaigns that weigh in at around ten hours to be great value for money. They would much prefer a well balanced, exciting and perfectly paced single player campaign to the kind of tacked on multiplayer bull**** that's cropping up in most games these days. You think anyone will give a **** about Modern Warfare 3 in a couple of years? Not a chance. On the other hand, in years to come people will still look back on the likes of Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Portal, ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus as utterly fantastic games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always have to chuckle at the 'length' argument. Sure, games are expensive (expensive to make too!), but the concept that quantity should be a deciding factor over quality is frankly a depressing one. Apply it to any other artform (yes, I have stated elsewhere these comparisons represent strawman arguments, but not here) - books, films, music - and the argument's inherent absurdities are obvious. If gamers insist on evaluating games as a mere product in 'value for money' terms, discourse shall forever be simplistic and short-sighted. If you can't afford to pay fifty euro for a six-hour game: fair enough, wait for the price to drop (I often find myself in this camp). But to use short length as an automatic negative is a silly criteria for rejection.

And, realistically, the percentage of fifteen-twenty hour plus games that are actually built on enjoyable content rather than needless, repetitive fluff is distressingly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

gizmo wrote: »
    As above, where do you think this will leave gamers? It boggles my mind how people can on one hand complain about the introduction of unnecessary multiplayer modes into games and single player campaigns being too short when they adopt that kind of attitude.

What you call unnecessary others may call a requirement. Not me personally but make it clear why you deem unnecessary is only your own opinion.

Congratulations on becoming a thief and as big a detriment to the industry as the bull**** some of the companies that you're decrying pull.

Why thank you, I will gladly not consider this approach and join you on your moral high ground once single player only games become over 51% worth the price tag.... until then i'll stay a hypothetical thief in a hypothetical scenario :D:rolleyes:
    There are many many gamers who still consider single player games with campaigns that weigh in at around ten hours to be great value for money. They would much prefer a well balanced, exciting and perfectly paced single player campaign to the kind of tacked on multiplayer bull**** that's cropping up in most games these days. You think anyone will give a **** about Modern Warfare 3 in a couple of years? Not a chance. On the other hand, in years to come people will still look back on the likes of Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Portal, ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus as utterly fantastic games.

Seeing as your only stating opinion here about "many gamers" finding 10 hour campaigns to be worth 60eur I will say that its my own opinion that most would find that a rip off. While quality is still a huge factor length also must be taken to account. Making a seminal 1 hour game simply wouldnt cut the mustard nor would a drab 100 hour game. The question of value can be addressed by balancing quality AND quantity, each need each other to make a good game and imo 10 hours is not sufficient of any game regardless of quality.

You also mention here that no one will not give a crap about the likes of modern warfare in a couple of years? Thats strange seeing as your exact example game has been outselling every other game year in and out for far more than "a couple of years" even now and based on all sales reports has grown year over year since so I think you may be wrong there..... unless your predicting an unprecidented massive drop in sales of gamings biggest franchise ever within the "next couple of years" that is? Also, you seem to give the impression that a game touting strong online mp focus seems to not have longevity of be regarded as good in " a couple of years", again thats wrong... rember a little game called goldeneye? All in all more people spent more time playing that games MP than the campaign and continually tops polls for best ever MP aspect and is widely regarded - 15 years... not "a couple" of years later as one of the best games ever created.

No doubt people will look back at the other example games as fine titles also but you seem to argue here that a MP focused game lacks longevity and quality over single player games - judging by your tone and grammar.

Personally I prefer a good single player game but I do find I spend more time in a year playing online than campaigns however I wouldnt take such a ham fisted attitude as to proclaim single player games as to be qualitatively superior. I think games just like goldeneye, counter strike and mario kart show that they withstand the test of time and can be of extremely high caliber and be looked back upon as excellent titles with MP focus.

What you call unnecessary others may call a requirement. Not me personally but make it clear why you deem unnecessary is only your own opinion.
    I referred to "people" here, not my own opinion. That being said, the large number of reviewers and gamers who support this opinion in contrast to, let's say, the dwindling number of players online reported for many of these games would add considerably weight to the argument.
    Why thank you, I will gladly not consider this approach and join you on your moral high ground once single player only games become over 51% worth the price tag.... until then i'll stay a hypothetical thief in a hypothetical scenario :D:rolleyes:
    Since when is not advocating theft the moral high ground?

Also, somehow working out that single player games have lost 49% value due to being a bit shorter is utterly daft. You've talked about a balance between quality and quantity but in no way should this be 50/50. Many of the games I listed in the above post only clocked in between 8 and 12 hours, do you really think this meant they were only work approximately 50% of their price? :confused:
    Seeing as your only stating opinion here about "many gamers" finding 10 hour campaigns to be worth 60eur I will say that its my own opinion that most would find that a rip off. While quality is still a huge factor length also must be taken to account. Making a seminal 1 hour game simply wouldnt cut the mustard nor would a drab 100 hour game. The question of value can be addressed by balancing quality AND quantity, each need each other to make a good game and imo 10 hours is not sufficient of any game regardless of quality.
    Except my opinion is backed up by countless reviewers, posters on not only this forum but many other gaming orientated ones, strong sales from single player only games and games which reap awards come year end. I'd wager said demographic would be more than a bit miffed if the industry pushed even harder in the direction of spending more time on multiplayer modes to the detriment of the single player campaign.
    You also mention here that no one will not give a crap about the likes of modern warfare in a couple of years? Thats strange seeing as your exact example game has been outselling every other game year in and out for far more than "a couple of years" even now and based on all sales reports has grown year over year since so I think you may be wrong there..... unless your predicting an unprecidented massive drop in sales of gamings biggest franchise ever within the "next couple of years" that is? Also, you seem to give the impression that a game touting strong online mp focus seems to not have longevity of be regarded as good in " a couple of years", again thats wrong... rember a little game called goldeneye? All in all more people spent more time playing that games MP than the campaign and continually tops polls for best ever MP aspect and is widely regarded - 15 years... not "a couple" of years later as one of the best games ever created.
    No, I said no one will give a crap about Modern Warfare 3 in a couple of years. I'm quite sure there'll give a crap about Modern Warfare 5 or 6 though which will, at that stage, probably be exactly the same game in a new engine and bring utterly nothing new to the table. You've argued about the length of games and the need for a balance between it and quality and then turned around and pointed to a series which has been notorious for its lack of innovation and incredibly short campaigns over the last number of years and which has simply offered minor tweaks in each yearly iteration. This makes absolutely no sense.

As for the rest of your post, you're misunderstood what I said. I'm not complaining about games which tout "a strong online mp focus", I'm complaining about games which merely tack this mode on, often to the detriment of other aspects of the game. Goldeneye was an example of a game with a strong online component although it also came out on consoles at a time when such a thing didn't really exist which allowed it to capitalise on this. Compare this to something like the multiplayer in Dead Space 2 and you should be able to see where I'm coming from.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Em, isn't that the general 'incentive' people have to pirate? Isn't cheaper than paying full whack?

So is me walking into Tescos and taking what I want - the point being that for some reason the response to the possible demise of the 2nd hand games market for consoles is that people will simply take what they can no longer afford as opposed to simply doing without or, if buying that many games is so important, increasing their disposable income.

It's the kind of amazingly over developed sense of entitlement that seems to be the hallmark of 'gamers'
    The concept that they are owed as many games as they could ever want seems to be their actual point of view as opposed to some parody of the spoilt nerd stereotype

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

imo 10 hours is not sufficient of any game regardless of quality.

'IMO' is all well and good, but that's really a very troublesome stance to be taking, and one whose acceptance amongst gamers is impacting negatively upon the quality of games in general. Is The Old Man and the Sea insufficiently worthy of time because it's brief, lean and economical? Or how about an eighty minute movie when there are plenty of 180 minute plus movies available? Or is Child of Eden 'not sufficient' because the developer / creator had the balls to make something tight, focused and innovative?

As I said before, it would be hypocritical of me to bemoan people 'waiting' to buy a short title on purely financial grounds. And yes, there are genuinely some games that feel too short, not maximising their leanness. But demanding that a game be a certain length no matter what is a very unfortunate position for gamers to take as it's going to get games nowhere, and very fast indeed.

Well, OK I guess you are right in saying that there is no longer a real market for second hand PC games - but I still think it illustrates that if a developer is presented with a workable option to limit the second hand market for their games then they are likely to choose it.

Steam is great though (if I do say so myself! :D), as it actually gives the player extra features rather than just solely placing restrictions on the end user.

It is I agree and I'll be honest here, if it weren't for Steam my PC would probably be full of pirated games. As it stands now, I've not a single pirate game on the PC's in the house, yet I've literally loads of games installed from Steam (and sadly a few on Origin and Bluebyte's platform) and some I haven't even played yet - damn those steam sales !

It's great though because I can install Steam on my Kids' PC's and let them login and play the games I've paid for on their own computers.

Steam in my opinion anyway, has been the most useful tool in PC gaming to make users shun piracy of games they might otherwise have done.

The other thing though is the grey market area of selling game codes (most of which work with Steam also) from different area's of the world (Russia mostly) where the games sell for considerably cheaper than here.
    Some of the games I have installed were purchased in this way, the likes of Settlers 7 for example or Anno 2070 - I wasn't prepared to pay full whack for them but when I could get them for 20 dollars legit from Russia then why not.

So while there's not a second hand market for PC games, there does exist other methods, legit, of getting your games cheaper if you spend the time to look around. Whether that's in Steam sales or via legit trusted online key sellers.

Maybe similar will popup for consoles in the future, I don't see why not really.
    If a console game sells for 60 euro plus here, it would probably sell for the equivalent of 20 or 30 euro in Russia.
    Then it comes down to region restrictions which the console/game manufacturers impose on the console market, but if that can be gotten around, or they don't do it with the new consoles coming out then it could be a very decent option.
    Pop on to a site selling cheaper legit Russian region games, have it sent via post to you, get the game a few days later and off you go - you've saved 30 quid. No piracy involved.

The other option would be to take the games companies to the EU courts for anti competitive practices in regards selling games in Europe or parts of the EU for higher prices than they are available elsewhere, then restricting the games by region. That practice could well be deemed illegal under law if challenged in court.

• Advertisement

Those Russian sites are neither legit nor a very decent option. There have been plenty of instances such as this which show this.
    It is I agree and I'll be honest here, if it weren't for Steam my PC would probably be full of pirated games. As it stands now, I've not a single pirate game on the PC's in the house, yet I've literally loads of games installed from Steam (and sadly a few on Origin and Bluebyte's platform) and some I haven't even played yet - damn those steam sales !
    The other option would be to take the games companies to the EU courts for anti competitive practices in regards selling games in Europe or parts of the EU for higher prices than they are available elsewhere, then restricting the games by region. That practice could well be deemed illegal under law if challenged in court.

The double standards here are ****ing mindblowing.

Yeah those Russian sites are dodgy as hell - just selling Keys sets off alarm bells right off the bat.

As the old cliche goes: If it's too good to be true...

So is me walking into Tescos and taking what I want - the point being that for some reason the response to the possible demise of the 2nd hand games market for consoles is that people will simply take what they can no longer afford as opposed to simply doing without or, if buying that many games is so important, increasing their disposable income.

It's the kind of amazingly over developed sense of entitlement that seems to be the hallmark of 'gamers'
    The concept that they are owed as many games as they could ever want seems to be their actual point of view as opposed to some parody of the spoilt nerd stereotype

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so awful.

The underlying point is however true, that if you take away the ability for gamers to buy their games second hand and at a lower cost than the original, and take away their ability to rent the games, while providing no alternatives to replace that which you've taken away and which gamers have become accustomed too for years - they will revert to piracy.
    No amount of complaining, shouting them down, calling them thieves, telling them how utterly bad it is etc., will ever stop it, never.
    In actual fact, people who complain about it in such a manner as yourself, however well intention you might actually be - just make it all the more "cooler" to pirate games because they also know they're "annoying" you because of it.

Saying no don't do it, it's bad, lalalala, it won't work, it never has, it never will.

If you do as Steam has done though, if you can take that very successful model and port it over to the console market from PC/MAC then you could well be on to a winner.

Maybe if broadband improves for the masses and download caps increase along with easier payment methods for younger adults that don't have access to credit cards - then a Steam service for consoles may work very well, actually I think it would work really well.
    While it won't kill piracy, it would seriously cut down on the perceived need for it as hopefully games would be readily and easily available (convenience) at cheaper prices and include regular sales as they do on PC.

To blatantly and suddenly take away the whole rental and second hand console game market and not give any alternative will encourage piracy.
    They need to have convenient alternatives in place before they do it.

PC game scene was absolutely rampant with piracy before Steam really took off. While piracy still seriously exists on PC, it's actually more convenient now to just buy a game cheap on Steam (or via online key sellers for even cheaper and then back to Steam) rather than have to put up with the hassles that go along with cracks, patches, missing bits, not playing online and so on.

It also would allow game devs to sell direct to the customer, something like what Sports Interactive now do. You can buy the likes of Football Manager 2012 for 50 euro from Steam, or go to SI's website and buy direct from them for 25 Sterling (think it is, last time I checked) which still allows you to download and play it on Steam, PC or Mac. Or you can buy the key for the game online at various places for around 20 euro now.

None of that above is second hand, none of that is piracy, all of that is convenience and the ability to shop around for best prices.

If all console gamers are left with are the prices game devs charge for their games in their region and not have any other legit option to shop around for cheaper prices, second hand or new nor have any option to rent a game or borrow off a friend - then realistically speaking, what do you think your average young gamer will consider ?
    Wait for sales in a few months where the game *might* drop in price a little, or buy a cheap plugin USB modchip and just download the game and play the ISO image off a Hard Drive direct ?

Not condoning piracy here, just being realistic is all.

Personally I'd prefer more console gamers gave it up completely and saved up their money to buy/build their own PC's instead. You'd build a decent gaming PC for around 600 euro or less even these days so what's that in console terms - An Xbox 720 with maybe 3 games and an extra controller ?

Hell, if all you wanted was to waste hours on a game like Minecraft, a PC for around 200 euro would probably be enough for that. There's proper value for money.

Those Russian sites are neither legit nor a very decent option. There have been plenty of instances such as this which show this.

G2play are well known as criminals and that has happened a lot to people, including myself. I would NEVER EVER buy from g2play, ever, ever, ever...

BTW, there's nothing stopping you setting up a Steam account via a Russian based VPN service and buying the games direct from Steam at Russian prices, therefore cutting out any online key sellers. Games typically are between 20 and 30 euro cheaper on the Russian based Steam.
    The double standards here are ****ing mindblowing.

How so ?

Yeah those Russian sites are dodgy as hell - just selling Keys sets off alarm bells right off the bat.

As the old cliche goes: If it's too good to be true...

They're not "Russian" sites. They do however sell "Russian" region keys which are legitimately selling for lower costs because piracy itself is so rampant in Russia that game devs need to sell lower to that region in order to sell at all - or so the story goes.

You can buy keys that aren't from Russia also and they still sell cheaper because they're bought in bulk, with bulk discounts which can be passed on to the customer - something which sadly Steam doesn't do outside of sales.

You do however need to think before you dive into bed with some of them, read around about them, get opinions of others. G2play for one I would never ever deal with but others have no problems with them either.

If all console gamers are left with are the prices game devs charge for their games in their region and not have any other legit option to shop around for cheaper prices, second hand or new nor have any option to rent a game or borrow off a friend - then realistically speaking, what do you think your average young gamer will consider ?
    Wait for sales in a few months where the game *might* drop in price a little, or buy a cheap plugin USB modchip and just download the game and play the ISO image off a Hard Drive direct ?
    Where is this "price drops in a few months" thing coming from. Do people not keep an eye on games in the weeks after release and see them practically freefall? :confused:
    BTW, there's nothing stopping you setting up a Steam account via a Russian based VPN service and buying the games direct from Steam at Russian prices, therefore cutting out any online key sellers. Games typically are between 20 and 30 euro cheaper on the Russian based Steam.
    Pretty sure the Steam T&C would disagree.
    How so ?
    Between talking about taking the games companies to court for their pricing in different regions and basically saying piracy is fine in certain circumstances you're claiming one rule should apply to them and no rule should apply to the poor consumer.

You later look down on piracy as some sort of bad thing while at the same time suggesting using certain key sites is a viable option. At the end of the day, you're still ****ing the publisher/developer.

Finally, back to the lawsuit point, did you give any consideration to what would happen to the gamers in those regions who could then not afford to buy games if the companies were forced to increase their prices across all regions?

The underlying point is however true, that if you take away the ability for gamers to buy their games second hand and at a lower cost than the original, and take away their ability to rent the games, while providing no alternatives to replace that which you've taken away and which gamers have become accustomed too for years - they will revert to piracy.

That's so goddamn pathetic. They've been denied the ability to purchase as many luxury goods as they previous did, the poor little lambs.
    If anything, they're the victims here....

While I appreciate your efforts to paint me a picture of what you believe 'reality' to be, it's not exactly casting those who claim that they will be the ones affected by this in the most favourable of lights.

Then again, maybe there is just no polishing a turd.

No amount of complaining, shouting them down, calling them thieves, telling them how utterly bad it is etc., will ever stop it, never.
    In actual fact, people who complain about it in such a manner as yourself, however well intention you might actually be - just make it all the more "cooler" to pirate games because they also know they're "annoying" you because of it.

I'm so glad they have another shitty reason to justify them being shitty human beings.
    That said, it's about as well reasoned as every other excuse i've heard, so I guess it's par the course.
    Saying no don't do it, it's bad, lalalala, it won't work, it never has, it never will.

Well, that's certainly reasonable. I mean heaven forbid that people be called out on their terrible behaviour. Best to just treat them as victims of their nature. Pitiful untermensch - barely able to contain their base desire to have all the games they are rightfully owed by the industry.

Pretty sure the Steam T&C would disagree.

Breaking Terms and Conditions does not mean breaking any criminal or civil law, you are doing nothing wrong other than exactly that, breaking a T&C.
    There is nothing wrong with what I suggested and others are and have been doing for a long time.
    Between talking about taking the games companies to court for their pricing in different regions and basically saying piracy is fine in certain circumstances you're claiming one rule should apply to them and no rule should apply to the poor consumer

Please don't lie about things I said or change arguments to suit your own.
    Where did I say piracy was fine in any circumstance ?

Sticking your knob up a dogs arse is apparently illegal but me merely talking about it or explaining why certain people might do it does not mean I do it myself or condone that it be done.

I'm presuming you work in the industry in some way shape or form and if you do, maybe think about taking a step back and not being so defensive merely about others simply talking about the subject. You cannot just sweep the likes of piracy under the carpet by shouting down others, telling them it's bad, don't do it, blah blah blah. You have to actually do some work and use your brain to come up with better options for consumers, as Steam have done.

Taking better options away from consumers (by removing the second hand and rental market) in order to gain better profits for yourself - WILL NOT WORK. It's a completely suicidal move and if a developer dies because of their own stupidity then so be in, good riddance to them, greedy pig that they are.
    You later look down on piracy as some sort of bad thing while at the same time suggesting using certain key sites is a viable option. At the end of the day, you're still ****ing the publisher/developer.

Again stop with the generalised presumptions just because I speak on a subject.
    Buying legit keys online is NOT against any law, criminal or civil. It is NOT piracy and it is NOT illegal.
    Sure, it might be against a publishers/developers terms and conditions after they enter that into the text when they realise how much lovely yummy money they might be losing - my heart bleeds for them in that case, honestly, I'm crying here :rolleyes:
    Finally, back to the lawsuit point, did you give any consideration to what would happen to the gamers in those regions who could then not afford to buy games if the companies were forced to increase their prices across all regions?

No. I give absolutely no consideration to the points you mention merely because again you've made another (silly) presumption that prices would somehow rise (?) rather than the EU forcing the devs to drops their prices in regions where they are clearly overcharging and ripping consumers off while at the same time getting by no problem with selling at massively reduced prices in other regions.

Embrace the market and consumers fully, honestly and transparently or expect the consequences for not doing so when you yourself (game devs/publishers) are considered nothing more than criminal thieves for ripping people off in the first place.
    Buying the game for 50 quid in Ireland or buying the game legit with no piracy or law breaking involved from Russia for 20 quid, oh gee, hmm, wonder which one I'll choose to do...

White collar crime or immoral acts on a corporate scale, isn't it wonderful how easily it's shrugged off as if to suggest it's perfectly fine while at the same time consumers who might be considered doing the same are frowned and jumped upon.

Then again, maybe there is just no polishing a turd.

Really ? Come on, there's no need for that kind of carry-on... it's pathetic.
    If you can't debate points being raised by others without resorting to abuse or childish carry-on then I honestly don't see the point in replying.
    Why so personally defensive on the subject when all that is being done is simply the subject being spoken about ?

• Advertisement

Breaking Terms and Conditions does not mean breaking any criminal or civil law, you are doing nothing wrong other than exactly that, breaking a T&C.
    There is nothing wrong with what I suggested and others are and have been doing for a long time.
    I didn't mention criminal or civil law, I was referring to legit in the context that Steam would be well within their rights to remove access to the games you have bought from these unauthorised resellers or if they found you had purchased games from a cheaper region which would ultimately leave the user out of pocket.
    Please don't lie about things I said or change arguments to suit your own.
    Where did I say piracy was fine in any circumstance ?
    I didn't say "any" circumstances, I said "certain" circumstances. The most obvious example being...
    It is I agree and I'll be honest here, if it weren't for Steam my PC would probably be full of pirated games.
    I'm presuming you work in the industry in some way shape or form and if you do, maybe think about taking a step back and not being so defensive merely about others simply talking about the subject. You cannot just sweep the likes of piracy under the carpet by shouting down others, telling them it's bad, don't do it, blah blah blah. You have to actually do some work and use your brain to come up with better options for consumers, as Steam have done.
    I'm speaking as a gamer and I'm being defensive because I can see what effect piracy has, both directly and indirectly, to my favourite hobby. As I said before, publishers and developers create video games, sometimes good and sometimes bad. They shouldn't have to go above and beyond to convince people not to pirate them, there simply is no excuse.
    Taking better options away from consumers (by removing the second hand and rental market) in order to gain better profits for yourself - WILL NOT WORK. It's a completely suicidal move and if a developer dies because of their own stupidity then so be in, good riddance to them, greedy pig that they are.
    It's not about gaining profits, it's about breaking even in some cases and in others showing that a good idea can be profitable so that publishers will be less averse to taking risks with new IP. That is my concern.
    Again stop with the generalised presumptions just because I speak on a subject.
    Buying legit keys online is NOT against any law, criminal or civil. It is NOT piracy and it is NOT illegal.
    Sure, it might be against a publishers/developers terms and conditions after they enter that into the text when they realise how much lovely yummy money they might be losing - my heart bleeds for them in that case, honestly, I'm crying here :rolleyes:
    Again I made no reference to the legality of the websites, merely the fact that at the end of the day both the pirating of software and going above and beyond to obtain it from a region where it is sold cheaper due to either economic or pirating conditions, results in reduced revenues for the companies who make them.
    No. I give absolutely no consideration to the points you mention merely because again you've made another (silly) presumption that prices would somehow rise (?) rather than the EU forcing the devs to drops their prices in regions where they are clearly overcharging and ripping consumers off while at the same time getting by no problem with selling at massively reduced prices in other regions.
    Of course prices would rise, do you think they'd fall in the better developed countries to match the prices found in the lesser developed ones?

Also, they're not "overcharging" or "ripping consumers" off over here, they're charging the correct price, one which can result in a return on the millions of dollars pumped into the development of the game. These prices, as you pointed out, would be unsustainable in some regions and so they're lowered. One does not have an affect on the other however.
    Embrace the market and consumers fully, honestly and transparently or expect the consequences for not doing so when you yourself (game devs/publishers) are considered nothing more than criminal thieves for ripping people off in the first place.
    Buying the game for 50 quid in Ireland or buying the game legit with no piracy or law breaking involved from Russia for 20 quid, oh gee, hmm, wonder which one I'll choose to do...
    For someone getting quite worked up about having their moral stance on piracy called into question earlier, you seem to have no problem throwing around hilariously hyperbolic terms. Do you seriously think any rational gamer thinks developers are "criminal thieves"? :confused:

Advertisement