Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replace eir’s Router / Modem with something better

Options
  • 17-05-2016 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I'd like to replace eir's ZyXel D1000 (crap wifi) with an alternative that will be compatible with SIRO.

I think these will suit (combined modem & router);
    Asus DSL-AC68U
    Netgear Nighthawk R7000
    TP-Link Archer VR2600

Although I’ve googled them & I’ve seen reviews on Amazon (which I’m sceptical about)
    I wondering if anyone on boards.ie has feedback to share ??

Is there a better alternative??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Asus DSL-AC68U - EIR not SIRO
    Netgear Nighthawk R7000 SIRO not EIR
    TP-Link Archer VR2600 BOTH
    -DSL-N66U would also work with both but only does up to 100Mb so poor for SIRO

VR2600 is thus the winner, but I dont see it benchmarked for WAN to LAN performance, I'd check that before purchasing as 350Mb could overwhelm a lot of residential kit on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

Thanks Ed E for your feedback.

Foolishly I included the wrong Netgear Nighthawk model, the one I'm interested in is the D7000 - is that compatible with Eir & Siro ??

I'll look into the TP-Link Archer VR2600

Yep, that'd do both as it has Ethernet WAN and an ADSL modem.

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, that'd do both as it has Ethernet WAN and an ADSL modem.

Excellent

I'd hoping to have the D7000 installed over this weekend and the ZyXel D1000 binned.

But before I delve into this can I ask what the process should be.

Should I disconnect the Zyxel, connect the D7000 and follow the setting changes as per the attached or do I connect the D7000 via ethernet to the Zyxel and make the changes ??

Apart from the attached - is there any other settings required on the D7000 ???

One other thing, the ZyXel D1000 has a eir static IP - is there any changes to be made to the Netgear Nighthawk D7000??

• Advertisement

Static is leased based on your port on the exchange so any modem should pull it just fine.

Those settings are all you need, disconnect D1000, connect D7000, follow "setup wizard/quick setup" on the 7000s control panel and enter details as per the eircom doc.

With a static theres an extra lease delay so once you hit "save and test" or whatever the button is it may stay red for up to two minutes, just hang in there.

mighty out - -thank a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    mighty out - -thank a mil
    Did you get the D7000 to work ?
    I got it today, and I cannot.
    I have a TV bundle. I am not sure this has to do with it.

Wizard! wrote: »
    Did you get the D7000 to work ?
    I got it today, and I cannot.
    I have a TV bundle. I am not sure this has to do with it.

Yeah got it working - it's very good.

Got Eir's particluar settings and changed the D7000 settings to match, all good.

I'm sure if you google your ISP for it's router settings, you'll be able to sort your router out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Have already asked this in the Broadband forum, but with no response. Is the Netgear D7000 compatible with the Vodafone fibre service?

• Advertisement

Have already asked this in the Broadband forum, but with no response. Is the Netgear D7000 compatible with the Vodafone fibre service?

Afraid I've no knowledge re Vodafone, but on boards.ie there's a Vodaone rep that can confirm this.

Advertisement