Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australia wants to cull great whites

Options
  • 17-07-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Just seen on the news there that Australia is considering to cull great whites after attacks on divers , surfers and swimmers are pretty high this year on the west coast
    It's also been named the worst place in the world for attacks by sharks
    So because these sharks are attacking and killing people they have to be controlled and killed?
    Last time I checked the ocean was their world not ours
    If they want some advice my advice would be
    STAY OUT OF THE FCUKIN WATER!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they will need a pretty big boat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Major racism issues in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

They're only big fish, and there's plenty of them. Try complaining about all the cod that's nearly being driven to extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Seems the Great Whites want to do the same to humans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Cull away Australia, cull away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Great whites are fantastic creatures. I've studied them for years in my spare time.

It's long since proven that most attacks by them are accidental. From below, surfers look like penguins with their arms outstretched on the board, hence the attacks. I don't know how I feel about them being culled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Poor old sharks. I blame the trade for shark fin soup and Spielberg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Its probably a handful of people throwing out the suggestion, if that. Might even be just one person. Good job on the sensationalistic thread title though.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Great whites are fantastic creatures. I've studied them for years in my spare time.

It's long since proven that most attacks by them are accidental. From below, surfers look like penguins with their arms outstretched on the board, hence the attacks. I don't know how I feel about them being culled.

I dunno, what do surfers contribute to the majesty of our ecosytem?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They're only big fish, and there's plenty of them. Try complaining about all the cod that's nearly being driven to extinction.

You're codding me, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

An article for anyone who wants to read stuff on the issue: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57473869/great-white-shark-attacks-is-culling-the-answer/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Just seen on the news there that Australia is considering to cull great whites after attacks on divers , surfers and swimmers are pretty high this year on the west coast
    It's also been named the worst place in the world for attacks by sharks
    So because these sharks are attacking and killing people they have to be controlled and killed?
    If they want some advice my advice would be
    STAY OUT OF THE FCUKIN WATER!!!
    Looks like I'm heading to the west coast to cull some time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

They dont own any sharks so how can they cull them?

I assumed the sharks were there because it's a penal colony, to stop the dumb aussies from escaping. Like that film with Van Damme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Australia wants to cull great whites
    Bit of poetic justice after what they did to the aborigines.

Oh wait, do you mean sharks?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What cod are you on about?
    Cod are more abundant now than ever and I know this from being an angler myself
    Millions of sharks are killed every year and sharks don't exactly lay thousand s of eggs like cod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think they will need a pretty big boat

I think they'll need a bigger boat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is 'cull' the New Zealandish for 'kill'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I assumed the sharks were there because it's a penal colony, to stop the dumb aussies from escaping. Like that film with Van Damme

Time cop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sure Bull Sharks are worse for human attacks. So why isn't there any ideas put forward to cull Bull Sharks. At the end of the day, I believe what the Dr said in the article. That humans are venturing offshore into their feeding ground. I mean if a human ventures into the jungle, which is a feeding ground for many animals. Who's fault is it? the animal that regularly hunts there, or the stupid person who went into the jungle?

It's like that article about the guy who was attacked and killed by a shark in South Africa, even though there were red flags on the beach indicating that it was too dangerous to go into the water. He ignored the danger and risk and lost his life because of it. Better human awareness is the to guy I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Seals.

Penguins are a wee bit smaller than a surfboard, apart from emperor penguins but they dont go anywhere near great white territory. But I think you are right about great whites, they tend to only nip at people more out of curiosity, but unfortunately their nips can be fatal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Japan do enough culling of dolphins which i think is wrong not only because stocks are declining,i think there are FAR too many great whites anyway arent they eating all our fish fuckers,there a big vicous pest,too,i think if australia wants to cull them let them!Its about time too..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Did the Sharks write letters of apology or what?

Japan do enough culling of dolphins which i think is wrong not only because stocks are declining,i think there are FAR too many great whites anyway arent they eating all our fish fuckers,there a big vicous pest,too,i think if australia wants to cull them let them!Its about time too..

How are great whites eating all our fish? Any stats to back your claims?

google it and find out,old hippy use your head what the hell to great whites eat in the sea :pac: apart from humans and the odd seal if there lucky they mostly eat large tuna fish etc..
    if youre trolling my posts thats just sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

What cod are you on about?
    Cod are more abundant now than ever and I know this from being an angler myself
    Millions of sharks are killed every year and sharks don't exactly lay thousand s of eggs like cod

An angler you say? I'd better ignore these marine biologists then. Oh well :(

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I bet it was a shark told you that.

:pac:

• Advertisement

google it and find out,old hippy use your head what the hell to great whites eat in the sea :pac: apart from humans and the odd seal if there lucky they mostly eat large tuna fish etc..
    if youre trolling my posts thats just sad..

No, I'd quite appreciate if you could back up your claims that great white are pests eating all our fish. Can you do that, do you think?

Advertisement