Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

DB10 wrote: »
    The upper classes dont work hard.

Not in this country. Bertie Ahern, Sean Fitz, Davey Drumm. The whole of the RTE workforce and Sindo journos.

Watch Dublin Housewives on TV3 and tell me they work hard? Its all a D4 upper class bubble.

All paid for by me, the working man and those on the dole struggling to get by, with our taxes funding lavish lifestyles in the Blackrock.
    The less they pay.

Just look at Seanie Fitz, Davey Drumm, Bono and Sean Quinn.

I pay more in VAT than these, and they are Irelands richest.

Its all a pyramid scheme, those at the bottom have no power. We are carrying the rest and sinking fast. Was life really meant to be like this?
    I have never accused anyone of being stupid.

What I meant was misinformation has caused people with lesser understanding of the treaty to vote yes in fear.

This is down the government and yes side parties.
    Cork eh?

No surprise to me, certain areas of Cork are where the upper classes thrive as I previously mentioned. Full of arrogant FFers like Martin, English people and pensioners, who all vote for FF/FG. I feel sorry for the true Irish down there, living in that cesspool of discontent.

How someone who voted not to Lisbon could vote yes yesterday, beggars belief.

It really does. As I said, the areas of certain YES voters correspond with my political analysis that they are all upper class.

Have read this thread from start to finish today, this guy has made it hit an all time low.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

AdamD wrote: »
    Have read this thread from start to finish today, this guy has made it hit an all time low.

You read 115 pages in 1 day?

You must be one of the Dublin housewives with time to kill while the rugby season has ended. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Naomh wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.......

Never knew Cork had such an upperclass demographic :rolleyes:

I live there and can't say I've noticed. But people see what they want to see I guess, and ignore that Knocknaheeny and Mayfield are both in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

All I read there was rabble rabble I got EU grants rabble rabble upper class high paid job rabble rabble I voted YES.

No offense but your obviously going to go to the side where your bread is buttered?

I wish you'd even answer one question - but clearly you don't know how to. Because your theories do not stand up to any scrutiny.

You couldn't be more wrong about me but I couldn't be bothered explaining why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

IrishAm wrote: »
    Worked hard for it lol? They were born into it. Most of their ancestors were Anglo-Irish gentry. Their lands should have been seized by the Free State army in 1922 and all land nationalised.

I'm referring to the modern day upper echelon, people who have achieved wealth from their own hard work, business owners, entrepreneurs and the like. The high society you speak of largely died out after WW2 anyway.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    I live there and can't say I've noticed. But people see what they want to see I guess, and ignore that Knocknaheeny and Mayfield are both in Cork...

Parts of Cork City, parts. Just like parts of Dublin.

Calm down, I feel for the true Irish down in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You read 115 pages in 1 day?

You must be one of the Dublin housewives with time to kill while the rugby season has ended. :D

43 pages ;)

Ironé wrote: »
    I wish you'd even answer one question - but clearly you don't know how to. Because your theories do not stand up to any scrutiny.

Sounds like a description of Enda Kenny to me, maybe I'm going places....:rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The evidence is there, how you wish to perceive it is up to you. I will hazard a guess you are a Yes voter.

All I saw I was speculation from yourself, not evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The EU funded some courses in Ireland - It was a HDIP in IT 100% funded by the EU. As a student just out of college with no money I was very happy to get it.

3rd level fees were also free in Ireland - more or less.

A minute ago you were claiming you paid for it yourself?:confused:

Ah, fuck this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Parts of Cork City, parts. Just like parts of Dublin.

Calm down, I feel for the true Irish down in Cork.

You mean those people on the dole you mentioned earlier, whose taxes pay for the upper classes?

That statement really made my day, I have to tell you.

Ah, fuck this.

whoops what do you know a yes voter making a financial "error"

not the first time or the last...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The upper classes dont work hard.

Not in this country. Bertie Ahern, Sean Fitz, Davey Drumm. The whole of the RTE workforce and Sindo journos.

Watch Dublin Housewives on TV3 and tell me they work hard? Its all a D4 upper class bubble.

All paid for by me, the working man and those on the dole struggling to get by, with our taxes funding lavish lifestyles in the Blackrock.

Ah, I though you were serious there for a while.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Shenshen wrote: »
    You mean those people on the dole you mentioned earlier, whose taxes pay for the upper classes?

That statement really made my day, I have to tell you.

Their/my VAT and other tax pays for the politicians,bankers and RTE D4 brigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

The joys of living in a democracy
    mmm true.
    They're no good to us? They provide a lot of employment and the more of them that are here the more that are attracted to setting up here. The mulitinationals have no loyalty to us - they are only interested in profit.

I think we have to pay to our strengths - we are a small country - I disagree with you here - I think we need the low corporation tax rate to bring in companies.

Perhaps, perhaps a technology boom is due to end our recession and we can import foreign peoples because we certainly won't have enough of our own and then it goes pear shaped eventually and then people will be angry that we didn't milk it while it lasted and then we'll be back to a recession followed by a construction boom or something else. :pac:

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah, I though you were serious there for a while.

Another attempt to discredit my views.

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman managed Liverpool FC. They turned them into a joke.....;)

Ah, fuck this.

I said I paid for it with assistance from the EU - for 1 year out of 6. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Sovereignty, self-determination and independence seem wasted on the Irish electorate. Happily they voted yesterday to rid themselves of such annoyances.

Perhaps, perhaps a technology boom is due to end our recession and we can import foreign peoples because we certainly won't have enough of our own and then it goes pear shaped eventually and then people will be angry that we didn't milk it while it lasted and then we'll be back to a recession followed by a construction boom or something else. :pac:

Technology is definitely not as impacted at the moment. There is quite a lot of technology jobs out there.

You have a point though - whatever happens, whatever way we get out of this mess we have to learn from our mistakes. There needs to be controls put in place to ensure this never happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Kumejima wrote: »
    Sovereignty, self-determination and independence seem wasted on the Irish electorate. Happily they voted yesterday to rid themselves of such annoyances.
    The referendum is over - ye can stop the spinning now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm referring to the modern day upper echelon, people who have achieved wealth from their own hard work, business owners, entrepreneurs and the like. The high society you speak of largely died out after WW2 anyway.

There's actually still quite a bit of 'old money' about the place.. it's just not as visible as it once was. Over the last few decades the inheritance culture of yesteryear has made a bit of a comeback. It's quite apparent in certain parts of the UK and US, not so much here atm, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

so what do you think of the yes vote getting through?is it a good or bad thing,i would like to know what you boardsies make of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Another attempt to discredit my views.

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman managed Liverpool FC. They turned them into a joke.....;)

Not being smart but you are discrediting your views all by yourself. Nobody needs to do anything.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

dvpower wrote: »
    The referendum is over - ye can stop the spinning now.

Not spinning mate and not bitter
    Just very very saddened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Oh my. Sometimes I wonder whether to cry or cut myself when reading threads to do with politics in After Hours.

I really hope some in here are trolling, as I can't fathom how some people could be so....how to say it nicely....stupid.

Our country is going to be f**ked for the future, not because the government, not because of Europe, because Ireland is just full to the brim of absolute plonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fabi05

Are you suggested that the referendum vote was rigged? Be careful thats a very serious accusation to be making.

There is growing concern about possibility that it was indeed rigged. The Euronews 60/40 before boxes were opened has raised questions. Pencils used instead of biro and no Gardai at polling stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

so what do you think of the yes vote getting through?is it a good or bad thing,i would like to know what you boardsies make of it..

Good thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

John.Icy wrote: »
    Oh my. Sometimes I wonder whether to cry or cut myself when reading threads to do with politics in After Hours.

I really hope some in here are trolling, as I can't fathom how some people could be so....how to say it nicely....stupid.

Our country is going to be f**ked for the future, not because the government, not because of Europe, because Ireland is just full to the brim of absolute plonkers.

And you're calling us stupid?

Fabi05 wrote: »
    There is growing concern about possibility that it was indeed rigged. The Euronews 60/40 before boxes were opened has raised questions. Pencils used instead of biro and no Gardai at polling stations.

You always use Pencil and I have never seen Gardai at a polling station.

There are some really bad losers out there I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fabi05 wrote: »

Bitter are we? The silent majority have spoken by voting yes in the referendum and by paying the household charge where eligible.

Advertisement