Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milan-San Remo 2012 (March 17th); warning, contains unmasked spoiler information

• 16-03-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭

Can't find a specific thread about the race so here goes...

Unfortunately Milan-San Remo is on St. Patrick's Day this year so we'll have to try and squeeze it alongside the parade, tonnes of sporting events and a lot of drink :D But it's one of the main Classics during the season, and arguably Italy's most prestigious one-day race, so it's well worth the watch. It's live on British Eurosport at 13:40 tomorrow.

A few facts about the race:
    • Milan-San Remo 2012 will be the 103rd staging of the historic 298km event, which is the longest one-day race, and Classic, on the calendar.
    • The most successful rider is Eddy Merckx; winning seven times (record of victories in one single classic race).
    • Generally flat, but does contain the Turchino climb (km 142) and Le Maine (km 204), along with the 'Capi'; a succession of five short but nasty bumps all located in the final 50 kilometres: Capo Mele, Capo Cervo, Capo Berta, the Cipressa and finally, the Poggio.
    • Former Winners: 2011-Matthew Goss (Aus) HTC-Highroad; 2010-Oscar Freire Gomez (Spa) Rabobank; 2009-Mark Cavendish (GBr) Columbia-HTC; 2008-Fabian Cancellara (Swi) CSC Saxo Bank; 2007-Oscar Freire (Spa) Rabobank; 2006-Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Quick Step-Innergetic; 2005-Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Fassa Bortolo; 2004-Oscar Freire Gomez (Spa) Rabobank; 2003-Paolo Bettini (Ita) Quick.Step-Davitamon; 2002-Mario Cipollini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone.
    The course:

map-640.jpg

profile.png

Start List: Link

Favourites:

Mark Cavendish 3/1; Peter Sagan 13/2; Fabian Cancellara 13/2; Oscar Freire 12/1; Matt Goss 12/1; Edvald Boasson Hagen 12/1; Tom Boonen 14/1; Andre Greipel 14/1; Philippe Gilbert 14/1
    (odds from Paddy Power)

There are so many riders that could win this race, it's almost impossible to call. The bookies reckon that Cav will survive the attacks and will be in the lead group descending the Poggio, with nobody being able to beat him in a sprint. It's hard to argue against that, but I think one of the other main contenders will manage to form a breakaway group from Cav, other than that I'm sitting on the fence :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good luck to anyone trying to drop Cavendish. Even on his own he can go up hills when he has a reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Really looking forward to this. I foresee a family dispute over TV rights (I guess I'll be watching on the laptop then :rolleyes:)

Its a pity Hushovd (and Chavenal) is a non-starter for this and, given that his form is good, its hard to bet against Cavendish if he gets thru the first 200km unscathed.

I've love to see Cancellara go on a banzai move over the Poggio and stay away to win, or Haussler to get his own back on Cav for 2009, but regardless, after nearly 300km and 7 hrs or so in the saddle, the winner will be a worthy one!

Kellys win in '92 is still one of my favourite pieces of sporting success.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

I would fancy Nibali to win.......he has superior descending skills if his their at the end, considering his recent form.........33/1 with paddy power is generous odds. get yer money on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Going for a complete outsider-bennatti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭corny

Anything can happen but Cavs form is good enough and is team strong enough to make this another facile win. Simon Gerrrans as an outsider though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Sagan may be only 22 but what a talent. If he gets away from riding for Nibali he has a great chance of pulling off a big win. Haussler has still to prove himself a big winner and Tom Boonen is in great form as is Cav and Ballan. Gilbert is getting there however I think Cancellara is in the form of his life and will win his second MSR. Looking back at past winners( Merckx won 7 times) there have been very few outsiders that have won this great classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Love to see Bonen win.

Head says Cancellara

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Cancellara all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. I foresee a family dispute over TV rights (I guess I'll be watching on the laptop then :rolleyes:)
    and where would be the best place to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Who i'll be cheering(shouting at the TV for): Cav

Who i think will win it: Cancellara

Underdog whom i would like to win it: Haussler

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

McTigs wrote: »
    Do not post any details of illegal/copyrighted streams

(or any clues on where to find them)

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

McTigs wrote: »

Via Eurosport player probably the best way. Tis handy, €40 for the year ideal if you do any travelling.

Or Skyplayer if you have a sky sub.

Stokolan wrote: »
    Via Eurosport player probably the best way. Tis handy, €40 for the year ideal if you do any travelling.

Or Skyplayer if you have a sky sub.

except it doesnt start till 13:15:(

actually thats not eurosports fault seems like the italian tv coverage doesnt start till then

live text feed http://live.cyclingnews.com/

Could be all over for Cav on La Máine

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No spoiler tags required;)

gonna be hard for cav now, rest of feild gonna power down the other side

All over for Cav minute and a half down now, and only Eisel for company.

To be fair Sky ditched Cav pretty quick which was the right thing to do, Bosen Hagen has a great shout and they might as well ride for him, rather than wasted their efforts trying to pace a fooked Cav back on.

Bad crash, looks serious :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

That looks bad

quintero doesnt look good, hpoe hes ok

gotta go out :(

Cavendish under a minute behind, seems he may make it back on now he has 4-5 Sky riders working to bridge, don't see the point of this though, he'll just get dropped on the next climb or the one after, they should have switched to working for Edwald,

Quintero ok supposedly. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Cavendish has given up the hunt, bad day at the office for him. Quintero situation looking better, moving and alert, didn't look good there for a bit.

Phil Gil caught up in a minor crash, game over for him, another big favourite goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Gilbert involved in a crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Ouch!!

Boonen, Spartacus, Friere, Bosen Hagan, Sagan or Nibali?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I'd fancy Sagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭corny

corny wrote: »
    Anything can happen but Cavs form is good enough and is team strong enough to make this another facile win. Simon Gerrrans as an outsider though.

:cool:

Advertisement