Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the server you linked to on Amazon.de €280 + shipping, the server linked to from servers direct will come to a total of £102 once you get the cash back. How is Amazon.de cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ringside

johnybean wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't the server you linked to on Amazon.de €280 + shipping, the server linked to from servers direct will come to a total of £102 once you get the cash back. How is Amazon.de cheaper?

Sorry - I was comparing the price to hpshop.ie http://www.hpshop.ie/hp-proliant-g7-n54l-708245-425.html

The price that you quoted on http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp is far better. However the price is with a note that it is after the reduction already. I make it out to be €215 plus shipping when VAT of 17.5% and google convert £ to € which is still much much cheaper than my €280 plus shipping from Amazon.de.

However to further muddy the waters amazon.de have http://www.amazon.de/ProLiant-MicroServer-Hot-Plug-f%C3%A4hig-Netzteil-Server/dp/B00AHQUX86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378135378&sr=8-1&keywords=n54l which is €216 plus shipping and more closely matches the spec from serversdirect. Other than 2GB of RAM, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two boxes on amazon.de but I guess at the end of the day it's a great price for a great box. My original N36L had been running VMware for the last 2.5 years and been down for a total of 60mins during that whole time. Real work horse and I regularly RDP into Win7 on it and it does not feel slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

ringside wrote: »
    Sorry - I was comparing the price to hpshop.ie http://www.hpshop.ie/hp-proliant-g7-n54l-708245-425.html

The price that you quoted on http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp is far better. However the price is with a note that it is after the reduction already. I make it out to be €215 plus shipping when VAT of 17.5% and google convert £ to € which is still much much cheaper than my €280 plus shipping from Amazon.de.

However to further muddy the waters amazon.de have http://www.amazon.de/ProLiant-MicroServer-Hot-Plug-f%C3%A4hig-Netzteil-Server/dp/B00AHQUX86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378135378&sr=8-1&keywords=n54l which is €216 plus shipping and more closely matches the spec from serversdirect. Other than 2GB of RAM, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two boxes on amazon.de but I guess at the end of the day it's a great price for a great box. My original N36L had been running VMware for the last 2.5 years and been down for a total of 60mins during that whole time. Real work horse and I regularly RDP into Win7 on it and it does not feel slow.

As was said before, you need to ensure it's an authourised UK HP reseller. You WILL NOT get cashback from german sellers. Check out the terms on the PDF.

Amazon.co.uk have one here for £223 delivered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AKWUUXU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TFCEATB7YM20KWD5Q4H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418448347&pf_rd_i=468294

But check if amazon are official resellers by mailing promotions@out-bound.co.uk

And Amazon marketplace sellers are different to amazon, so ensure you're not buying from a marketplace seller (unless approved)

Serversdirect have just upped the price to £288 + delivery the sh**s:eek::eek:
    I emailed them and they said that prices will be updated tomorrow.
    Ebuyer are out of stock and Insight UK still have the box priced at £363 + delivery.
    God dam it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Advertisement

Nforce wrote: »

Thats Ex VAT, comes to £288 + delivery when you add to basket. That £156.67 price was approx £76 an hour ago.

Ooops..yep..just spotted that, though looking on the bright side of it...

My "accountant" will be even more pleased when I mention just how much of a bargain this was!

:)

Ooops..yep..just spotted that, though looking on the bright side of it...

My "accountant" will be even more pleased when I mention just how much of a bargain this was!

:)
    Elara have it on their site for €232 and free delivery, if that's before the €120 cashback then that's pretty good, out of stock at the moment though. Due back in stock on the 9th apparently

I just checked my account and the order is showing Awaiting Stock, despite being in stock when I placed the order. :(
    I've sent them a mail to find out when it'll come back into stock.

I just checked my account and the order is showing Awaiting Stock, despite being in stock when I placed the order. :(
    I've sent them a mail to find out when it'll come back into stock.
    When I contacted them today regarding the price jump they said that they didn't have any more stock at the original price and to check back tomorrow but they wouldn't confirm what price it would be, I'd say they realised that they were the cheapest online and bumped the price but I'd say you're ok, surely they can't try and cancel your order and try and charge you the "new" price

• Advertisement

Just got a reply from them..replacement stock due in 12/09/2013.

Just got a reply from them..replacement stock due in 12/09/2013.
    Wonder what price they'll be charging

Damn you bargian alerts - I don't need another one, but I want to buy one cause it's such a bargain.

Anyone purchased from Serverplus? They have 100 in stock and total price comes to £202 + £6.95 delivery if you use Parcel Motel

Ok, just pulled the trigger on serverplus, hopefully order doesn't get cancelled or anything.
    Made the order with Visa Debit card, used Parcel Motel as delivery address and used voucher code of MSFREENDUK for free delivery when using PM.
    Total price comes to £203.95 which has been debited from my account so hopefully order goes through and I can finally get my hands on this bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

stimpson wrote: »
    Damn you bargian alerts - I don't need another one, but I want to buy one cause it's such a bargain.

I feel your pain. I'm thinking the same thing. No logical reason to buy one but deal is just so damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Would this work ok as a home NAS, maybe stick a torrent client on it - looks a bargain..

Also will it be too big package wise for parcel motel?

Would this work ok as a home NAS, maybe stick a torrent client on it - looks a bargain..

I'd be surprised if anyone on here uses it for anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

stimpson wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if anyone on here uses it for anything else!
    would be ideal to set up a server lab environment running ESXi to help someone get a few IT qualifications under their belt.

even get 3 of them and use 2 for a vmware cluster and the other one as shared storage for it.

you'd need more RAM in them, but it would work a treat and would use a shedload less power than the usual 2nd hand ebay rackmount servers that people usually go for. not to mention being a whole heap quieter.

vibe666 wrote: »
    would be ideal to set up a server lab environment running ESXi to help someone get a few IT qualifications under their belt.

even get 3 of them and use 2 for a vmware cluster and the other one as shared storage for it.

you'd need more RAM in them, but it would work a treat and would use a shedload less power than the usual 2nd hand ebay rackmount servers that people usually go for. not to mention being a whole heap quieter.

Thanks vibe - now I have an excuse.

Where's me credit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

johnybean wrote: »
    Ok, just pulled the trigger on serverplus, hopefully order doesn't get cancelled or anything.
    Made the order with Visa Debit card, used Parcel Motel as delivery address and used voucher code of MSFREENDUK for free delivery when using PM.
    Total price comes to £203.95 which has been debited from my account so hopefully order goes through and I can finally get my hands on this bargain.

Ordered from serversplus at 16:45 yesterday afternoon and its was received at ParcelMotel in Belfast at 13:52 today. Impressed I am :D Now roll on Friday so I can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hey Claytonie,

Im lookng at this and wana get one.

Damn Bargain Alerts.

Ive a few Questions

1. What is the price before and after HP Rebate (do I get £100 back)
    2. I need this for storage/plex/Remote desktop - Is this hard to do / expensive
    3. I have UPC does connecting this to the router sound ok or do I need to invest in better network hardware
    4. Where is the best place to pick up more RAM/ Hard Drives Space?

Tks, Sry for the stupid Qs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

johnybean, Claytonie and others, I was looking for a NAS setup for a while, but this looks ideal for what I want to do. A few questions though...

* Did you guys go for the additional 3 year warranty for £20 - sounds like great value to get 2 additional years of warranty for 20 sterling.
    * I hope to achieve the following with this once setup:
    - share couple of hard disks on the wireless network so that laptops, PS3 and smart TV can read and play media including 1080p mkvs (DLNA?)
    - be able to copy photos and stuff from laptops whenever
    - run uTorrent or something similar
    - Wake on Wireless etc to save power

How much of this is feasible, perhaps basic Windows 7 as OS?

PS: It says this on their 'claim form - terms and conditions - end user' part:
    This promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK and does not apply where product will be resold or leased. Claims
    must be submitted by the end user customer only. This offer is not open to employees of participating stockists or anyone connected with
    the promotion. Resellers may not submit claims on behalf of their customers.

I am not sure if this is applicable to cash back as well as the offer for extended warranty for £20, or if it's just for the warranty. It's a bit messy. Why wouldn't HP / retail partners reduce the cashback on the first instance and make life easier for everyone, darnnit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

positron wrote: »
    It's a bit messy. Why wouldn't HP / retail partners reduce the cashback on the first instance and make life easier for everyone, darnnit.

Its like gift vouchers only 40-60% of people will ever claim the money.

johnybean, Claytonie and others, I was looking for a NAS setup for a while, but this looks ideal for what I want to do. A few questions though...

* Did you guys go for the additional 3 year warranty for £20 - sounds like great value to get 2 additional years of warranty for 20 sterling.
    * I hope to achieve the following with this once setup:
    - share couple of hard disks on the wireless network so that laptops, PS3 and smart TV can read and play media including 1080p mkvs (DLNA?)
    - be able to copy photos and stuff from laptops whenever
    - run uTorrent or something similar
    - Wake on Wireless etc to save power

How much of this is feasible, perhaps basic Windows 7 as OS?

I do all of the above with my current HP server ( I'm running Win 12 Server but Win 7 will do the job). For streaming 1080p video I'd recommend using powerline network plugs as wireless streaming probably won't be up to the job.

Sounds great. I don't have much 1080p stuff anyway, so I can live with that.

On the OS side of things, Windows Server 12 would cost a fair whack, wouldn't it? I was thinking Windows or freeNAS... but then again I don't really fancy messing around with *nix and Vi editor too much either. Everyone is probably tired of talking OS choices with a thread this long - I'll read back and figure out. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

I'm not Claytonie but I'll answer anyway.
    Kingkong wrote: »
    Hey Claytonie,

Im lookng at this and wana get one.

Damn Bargain Alerts.

Ive a few Questions

1. What is the price before and after HP Rebate (do I get £100 back)
    >Not sure, I'll let someone else answer.

2. I need this for storage/plex/Remote desktop - Is this hard to do / expensive
    >No, you can use free OS, Plex server is free.

3. I have UPC does connecting this to the router sound ok or do I need to invest in better network hardware
    >No, if you set up a Server on the Microserver, just give it an IP of say 192.168.1.200 on the same IP Range as the router, use the router IP 192.168.1.1 as the gateway, no need to change anything on the router (unless you're building a network and for that DNS and Firewall rules are to be set up.

4. Where is the best place to pick up more RAM/ Hard Drives Space?
    Amazon/ebay, from a reputable seller or one of the UK websites.

Tks, Sry for the stupid Qs

Okay, so I am in. I have placed an order wtih ServerPlus via ParcelMotel. Total is 212.28, of which 6.xx is 'Next Day Delivery' shipping. They couldn't quote me shipping to the Republic, asked me to ring, so I went with Parcel Motel Newry address. With cashback, hopefully this works out as £112.28 + €3.50 Parcel Motel = < €140. I am happy with that - although I do need to source more RAM. If anyone has any sticks lying around, I can collect around Dublin - Drogheda. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I see that ServersDirect has dropped the price back to sensible levels again. Yesterday(Tuesday) they were the cheapest, then they bumped up the price to £288 + delivery (according to johnybean) and now its back down to £225 or so including 12 euro 3 day delivery to Ireland (no need for ParcelMotel).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

although I do need to source more RAM. If anyone has any sticks lying around, I can collect around Dublin - Drogheda. Thanks in advance.
    I have 2 * 1GB EEC DDR3 DIMMS that originally came with my Microserver if you are interested.

Advertisement