Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPSV test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rafamilne

hello, ive done this test twice now and passed the 1st part twice but failed the 2nd twice, i got 78 the 1st time and 76 the 2nd, have to say i know my way around dublin, ive been studying for a while now and id have no problem driving anywhere, but this new test is just set out to take money off of people, some of the Q were a joke, seems to be trick Q's, some of the Q's i got were unreal. fair play to the people who have passed this test, but if anyone wants to trade Q's with me give us a post and we'll take it from there, this is the dublin test im talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robbie111

rafamilne wrote: »
    hello, ive done this test twice now and passed the 1st part twice but failed the 2nd twice, i got 78 the 1st time and 76 the 2nd, have to say i know my way around dublin, ive been studying for a while now and id have no problem driving anywhere, but this new test is just set out to take money off of people, some of the Q were a joke, seems to be trick Q's, some of the Q's i got were unreal. fair play to the people who have passed this test, but if anyone wants to trade Q's with me give us a post and we'll take it from there, this is the dublin test im talking about

You think passing the test is hard wait till you have to wait to get your license in your hand!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vtec49

Ya I know what you mean, still waiting on the skills cert. I'll let you know as soon as I'm on the road. I started the process in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janeyjane

robbie111 wrote: »
    You think passing the test is hard wait till you have to wait to get your license in your hand!!!!

I left all my documentation including skills cert into garda station at the end of September. The garda checked all the stuff and confirmed all was in order. That was 3 months ago and still no word, I rang the station about 8 weeks ago and the garda that was looking after it said all was ok and he was sending it in !!! ( not sure if he ment sending it in to carraige office or what! ) Havent heard anything yet and rang the station the other day but the garda was on hols. Has it taken anyone else this long to get there licence from the time they have handed all there documentation in??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Howyadoing

Hey Jane. It took 14 weeks for me to get it.

• Advertisement

Only handed in my documents on the 4th of December, so no help from me I'm afraid.

Howyadoing wrote: »
    Hey Jane. It took 14 weeks for me to get it.
    Thanks Howyadoing, Looks like it will take at least that for me aswell.:mad: Is this the normal length of time it takes?
    Is the hold up at the garda station or the carraige office?

Guys just received my licence in the post this afternoon but no ID or smart card. How long after receiving this can I expect to receive my ID badge and smart card??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

janeyjane wrote: »
    Thanks Howyadoing, Looks like it will take at least that for me aswell.:mad: Is this the normal length of time it takes?
    Is the hold up at the garda station or the carraige office?

That long a wait can be normal, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

vtec49 wrote: »
    Guys just received my licence in the post this afternoon but no ID or smart card. How long after receiving this can I expect to receive my ID badge and smart card??

Could take a couple of months. Taxi regulator is not the most efficient. Good news is your entitled to work your taxi while you're waiting for Tr to send your ID out.

• Advertisement

vtec49 wrote: »

"Only handed in my documents on the 4th of December, so no help from me I'm afraid. "

So going from your 2 posts vtec you got your licence 19 days after you handed in your documents and I am still waiting after 90 days ! something not right in whatever way they are processing applacations !!:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Could take a couple of months. Taxi regulator is not the most efficient. Good news is your entitled to work your taxi while you're waiting for Tr to send your ID out.

Well the bad news is,,,YOU ARE NOT entitled to work.You MUST have ID showing at all times and you must carry your licence card at all times ..So again I say to you legally you cannot driver a taxi without all IDs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Ive said it already but i think all you people applying to do the spv licence tast in the hope of driving a taxi are being very very foolish..I can sa without fear of contradiction ,the taxi business is finished .If you DO get into the business ,you will be in for a rude awakening.
    i would also appeal to those who are thinking of leaving a job to go into the business or are on the dole ,,,do not ,,believe me you are far better off financially where u are.Be it on the dole (more benefits and money ,and thats the truth) or in full time employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Ive said it already but i think all you people applying to do the spv licence tast in the hope of driving a taxi are being very very foolish..I can sa without fear of contradiction ,the taxi business is finished .If you DO get into the business ,you will be in for a rude awakening.
    i would also appeal to those who are thinking of leaving a job to go into the business or are on the dole ,,,do not ,,believe me you are far better off financially where u are.Be it on the dole (more benefits and money ,and thats the truth) or in full time employment

I have to second this. I drove a taxi for 5 years. About 3 weeks I go I was fortunate ( after a long time trying) to get a another job. The sense of relief was overwhelming. If anyone has a job they should never consider leaving to go into this business. I understand people on the dole wanting to work for a living and I know the difficulties getting full time employment. The price however is very high. You have no rights, no benefits and nothing to fall back on should you suffer any unfortuante incidents.

The taxi game is well and truly dead and I wish anyone else trying to get out the best of luck. I am looking forward to January for the first time in several years after having a great christmas.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    I have to second this. I drove a taxi for 5 years. About 3 weeks I go I was fortunate ( after a long time trying) to get a another job. The sense of relief was overwhelming. If anyone has a job they should never consider leaving to go into this business. I understand people on the dole wanting to work for a living and I know the difficulties getting full time employment. The price however is very high. You have no rights, no benefits and nothing to fall back on should you suffer any unfortuante incidents.

The taxi game is well and truly dead and I wish anyone else trying to get out the best of luck. I am looking forward to January for the first time in several years after having a great christmas.

Best of luck in your new job Taxipete ( hope its not with the TR lol ! )

Did you have any problem selling your plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

how are you finding it robbie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Taxipete29 wrote: »

Delighted to see another taximan getting a well earned break. I gave up this time last year, and will spend the next few years paying back the debt I got into trying to be a good taxi driver. I was fooled by all the glossy bumph I got in the post from the excuse of a regulator, promising a professional taxi industry of high standards and a change from old diehard practices. Instead, I got the exact opposite of everything the regulator promised, an industry of no standards at all, except to be a dumping ground to get people off the live register. People were getting free grants to buy taxis and plates, for God's sake, that I had hung myself out on my ear to get loans to buy! And so much for the psv 'test' I did, that suddenly seemed not to count for anything any more. The new psv test now is miles too late, it should have been brought in years ago, before standards went through the floor.

Noel Dempsey has a lot to answer for in his career, but this farce has to be well up there. Think what you like about some of the awful taxi drivers you have encountered, but there are some very decent, genuine people who could have made something fresh of the taxi industry, who went to the wall instead. There was no need for it to be this way at all, and it had nothing to do with the recession, the roots of this were laid well before the downturn.

Take the advice folks, and stay well away from the taxi industry. There are may of us who tried, with goodwill and the best intentions, and who were financially ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

a lot of people who got into it in the last 2/3 now khow that its not what they hoped it was and a lot of it is down to the minster and the tr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

No, lost a few quid on it but what can ya do. It cleared the debt and I am starting fresh thankfully.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Can i ask without being attacked by all the dogooder friends of the earth,and save the whale types, for saying i am am being racist. ???

How is it easier for people from Nigeria etc to get a spsv lic ?
    Why is it harder for a person who is born in Ireland ?
    are there different rules ?

• Advertisement

Can i ask without being attacked by all the dogooder friends of the earth,and save the whale types, for saying i am am being racist. ???

How is it easier for people from Nigeria etc to get a spsv lic ?
    Why is it harder for a person who is born in Ireland ?
    are there different rules ?

No different rules or mark rates for anybody, that's an urban legend which ha gotten around. What there is are colleges who run "PSV Training Courses"; these basically teach the answers to the Dublin area tests which is what a lot of drivers opt to do to help "pass" the test. Now that the newer test is on a computer screen and has a huge batch of questions to work with, these colleges are seeing their cash cow pass by as the test is now harder to anticipate and drivers need to know where is where on test day.

james116 wrote: »
    how are you finding it robbie?

Sent you a pm James

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

A licence can go a long way when you have friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 taxi wife

Hamndegger wrote: »
    No different rules or mark rates for anybody, that's an urban legend which ha gotten around. What there is are colleges who run "PSV Training Courses"; these basically teach the answers to the Dublin area tests which is what a lot of drivers opt to do to help "pass" the test. Now that the newer test is on a computer screen and has a huge batch of questions to work with, these colleges are seeing their cash cow pass by as the test is now harder to anticipate and drivers need to know where is where on test day.

While it may be true that there is no way to circumvent the new SPSV Driver Test (I reserve judgement on this as I dont know of any system that cannot be abused by cheats) there certainly is a disparity regarding the vetting of forigen national applicants as opposed to irish applicants. the only vetting currently done is through pulse. this would only vet an applicant from the time they arrive in ireland or in the case of an irish applicant for the time of their adult life that they have spent living in Ireland. There is no requirement to provide any criminal record certificates for any other country that an applicant has resided in. Why?

The vetting for security guards is more stringent than the vetting for taxi drivers or any SPSV Licence holder. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reducepain

Dear friends,
    Iam really fedup taking up the psv test, i had for the 4th time, still couldn't get through in part b (67, 78, 71, 78), Part A ( 81, 83,87,91) i would appreciate if anyone has Q on circulation to give me a helping hand to review my sucess. I know it is odd request, but i am in desperate after such attempts. my email reducepain at gmail .com, or let me if i can collect from anyone,reply in Private message.

Looking forward to hear from anyone of you.

Regards,
    Nat

taxi wife wrote: »
    While it may be true that there is no way to circumvent the new SPSV Driver Test (I reserve judgement on this as I dont know of any system that cannot be abused by cheats) there certainly is a disparity regarding the vetting of forigen national applicants as opposed to irish applicants. the only vetting currently done is through pulse. this would only vet an applicant from the time they arrive in ireland or in the case of an irish applicant for the time of their adult life that they have spent living in Ireland. There is no requirement to provide any criminal record certificates for any other country that an applicant has resided in. Why?

The vetting for security guards is more stringent than the vetting for taxi drivers or any SPSV Licence holder. Why?

I agree with you but this situation applies equally to anybody else who was not resident here for any amount of time; those Irish who emigrated or who are here from the UK or other UK countries, say. The Gardaí know full well that this is the case but they are just applying the laws and rules given to them; they don't set the standards required for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭csully397

My advice to anyone seeking to get a license is to do the training course it will be money well spent and if you dont pass after that then bite the bullet and look elsewhere

if you think your going to work the few hours here and there and have an easy way of life think again you have to be prepared to work late and sacrifice the rest of your normal luxuries

reducepain wrote: »
    Dear friends,
    Iam really fedup taking up the psv test, i had for the 4th time, still couldn't get through in part b (67, 78, 71, 78), Part A ( 81, 83,87,91) i would appreciate if anyone has Q on circulation to give me a helping hand to review my sucess. I know it is odd request, but i am in desperate after such attempts. my email reducepain at gmail .com, or let me if i can collect from anyone,reply in Private message.

Looking forward to hear from anyone of you.

Regards,
    Nat

Well reducepain, I have bad news for you, you will be so more fed up when and if you do pass it because it will be a very long time before you actually get your licence into your hand if my case is anything to go by. I left all my documentation in at the end of September and I am still waiting to get my licence sent out to me ( I think I will look for some interest on the 250 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 luscaa

just done test for dublin for third time 78%.
    anyone wish to trade exam questions with me or can offer some help.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 luscaa

can u help me with some questions please

Advertisement