Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I am seriously DEAD HELP

• 06-05-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Well, what can I say I've done no work up to now I lacked motivation and I was lazy but after visiting some friends in college after there exams I seriously want to go I think this is the first step but when I went to study today I started did an hour and a half and stoped because I became Lazy, this is the only time I can sit the leaving cert and I've done now work at all AND I NEED 320 Points :eek:
    I need someone to help me out a little on how i achieve this with 3Higher/3 Ordinary subjects. Please I need some serious guidance, I pased 4 out of my six mock papers.. I know i should of learned there. My weakest subject is by far Physics and I need to do it at higher level for my number 1 course choice. Thing is I actually am seriously interested in the course.

I'm hoping you can give me advice on study length, and some of the ways you used/are using to study effectively.

My subjects are Irish(o)40%, English(H)(60%), Business(H)(55%), Physics(H)(25%), German(o)(? Never did a mock), Maths(o)(75%)

Thanks Helpless Student!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

KroG wrote: »
    Well, what can I say I've done no work up to now I lacked motivation and I was lazy but after visiting some friends in college after there exams I seriously want to go I think this is the first step but when I went to study today I started did an hour and a half and stoped because I became Lazy, this is the only time I can sit the leaving cert and I've done now work at all AND I NEED 320 Points :eek:
    I need someone to help me out a little on how i achieve this with 3Higher/3 Ordinary subjects. Please I need some serious guidance, I pased 4 out of my six mock papers.. I know i should of learned there. My weakest subject is by far Physics and I need to do it at higher level for my number 1 course choice. Thing is I actually am seriously interested in the course.

I'm hoping you can give me advice on study length, and some of the ways you used/are using to study effectively.

My subjects are Irish(o)40%, English(H)(60%), Business(H)(55%), Physics(H)(25%), German(o)(? Never did a mock), Maths(o)(75%)

Thanks Helpless Student!
    I did nothing until the last two weeks of the LC, and i did it twice, in '01 and '02. The difference is I was doing 6 Higher Level subjects and only 1 Ordinary Level subject, where as you've left yourself with a mini mountain to climb by ony have 3 Higher Level subjects.

But the mountain can be scaled. You have a good month left and only 6 subjects to cover. The best advice i can give you is to write lots and lots of dummy answers/essays. See if you can get your hands on The Irish Examiners Exam Brief Supplement, its got contributions from the Institute of Education on Leeson St, its excellent, i put some of the maths stuff to good use in the maths exam. When studying, don't repeat stuff back to yourself, its of little use to you. To engrain something in your memory, you must write it down. Write, write and write some more, you'll be writing in the exam, not speaking. So get used to that, and that is half the battle won.

A little bit of advice on English, you're going to have to gamble that a couple of poets are going to come up on the paper, i gambled that either Michael Longley or Emily Dickinson would come up, and it paid off when the latter came up. Gamble on two poets, any more and you'll have too much ground to cover.

For someone who did little or no work in the mocks, you got a decent mark in your Business exam. I only took it up for one year, when i repeated and got a B3 in the Higher paper. So with a month left to do some work, you can easily get a B in it too. Make sure you know all your legislation acts inside out i.e. Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980, as you know yourself, they come up every year and caught out many people when i did the LC. They shoudn't because they're a dead cert to come up.

I didn't do any Science subjects but for Physics, you really need to do several exam paper questions. The same questions come up every 3-4 years. Ordinary level Maths is relatively simple, if you put the work in, even a few days, it would be enough to ensure you get an A in it, studying for about 10 hours a day. You appear to be strong enough in Maths already so i wouldn't unnecessarily worry about it.

With German and Irish, i hope for your sake that you did decent orals, other than that my earlier advice still applies, do lots and lots of exam paper questions.

Dont' be left regretting anything in late June when the exams are over, you have a good month left to cover as much as possible, from my experience that is more than enough time to save your ass, provided you put the work in. Your destiny is in your own hands, don't end up like me, having to wait years to reach mature student age to do your preferred course.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭KroG

Amazing reply Thanks Dude !!! But how much study do i need to do per night per subject!

Amazing reply Thanks Dude !!! But how much study do i need to do per night per subject!
    Don't mix subjects, stick to one subject for a set period of time (5 days or whatever) and stick to studying that one alone. Studying different subjects in the same day will only dilute your learning. You need to do on average 10 hours a day, with breaks of 20 mins in between. I would say do 12 in the afternoon to 10 at night, then call it a day. Leave your weakest subject until the end of the month and give this a good week of study. the nearer towards the exam, the greater chance you have of remembering what you've learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

im doin all honours apart from irish and french.3hour block are enough time to get one past paper done with an hour after to digest what you have done. Personally,i wouldnt do the subjects in blocks of days because the leaving cert exams are mixed and being able to retain what youve learned doing different subjects will be good going from eg. an exam in english in the morning to an exam in chemistry in the afternoon onto an exam in maths the next morning.
    if you go through the exam papers and exam paper solutions on www.examinations.ie you will spot the repitition of certain questions and that should be enough for u to get over 320 points.
    its 28 days till the english exam 28x10=280hours 280/6=about 46/47hours in each subject.
    and physics is workin out well for you as it is you last exam i think
    on the monday the 16th .Imight be wrong but that gives you 4 full days to study for it .if you put in the work now you will be smilin in august the of to uni.just give it your all from now till ur physics exam on the 16th of june.
    ok well thats all i got.good luck and work hard.contcentrate on your weakest subjects and when you feel like being lazy just think about where you want to see yourself next year. you dont want to be repeating when all you need is 320 points.it happened to my friend and he has just gave up.go for it

Starting tomorrow morning at 8-12 and 4-8, just wondering if anyone else has an ideas? I need to get ideas to study affectivly I don't want to sit down next few weeks and learn nothing and FAIL...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd advise go to school,if you're thinking of skipping it

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

10 hours a day!!!!
    4 hour blocks!!!
    No-one i know does that much and we do just fine.

Maybe i should though doing 9 subjects!!

yif u dont know an effective wayy to study i would go to school mate like the day is planned out for you to study a subject at a specific time and you can then do 3 or so hours when you get home.school day is 6 hours long.thats 6 hours of study if you keep your head down

10 hours a day!!!!
    4 hour blocks!!!
    No-one i know does that much and we do just fine.

Maybe i should though doing 9 subjects!!

Perhaps no one you know is as lazy as me or this dude!

He's coming from a position of having virtually no study done in any topic, so he needs to make the most of every day he has left. Most students have at least some preparation done but when you leave everything until the last month, you gotta put the time in, becos 320 points with only 3 honours subjects is a big ask.

OK Update I've done about 3 Hours study today :o Not enough but does anyone have any techniques or ideas for studying, should i be just doing the exam papers??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

For some subjects doing spider diagrams are good, and break it down alot. Practise, Practise and practise from exam papers - it gets you into exam technique. Practise makes perfect as they say. Time is limited now...under 4 weeks people!!!

OK Update I've done about 3 Hours study today :o Not enough but does anyone have any techniques or ideas for studying, should i be just doing the exam papers??

3 hours is good and you still have the rest of the day .Well if you want to learn whats on the course quickly i would say so .It covers most of what is coming up if you go back far enough and its the direct answers needed (saves lookin for all the answers in long chapters).But if you so get bored i would go over the chapter in which you are doing the topic in and then do the exam questions. Remember to get fresh air and breaks

20 mins study 5 min break-just to get some air or stretch dont
    you can only concentrate fully for 20 mins

Is it a big ask to get 320 points with nothing done. Am I well out of my depth or what ^^ need some ideas people!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

grenache wrote: »
    Don't mix subjects, stick to one subject for a set period of time (5 days or whatever) and stick to studying that one alone. Studying different subjects in the same day will only dilute your learning. You need to do on average 10 hours a day, with breaks of 20 mins in between. I would say do 12 in the afternoon to 10 at night, then call it a day. Leave your weakest subject until the end of the month and give this a good week of study. the nearer towards the exam, the greater chance you have of remembering what you've learnt.

I hope you're joking, that is all utter tripe. And i've been through all this, it does vary from person to person, but i would strongly advise doing 1 or 2 hour blocks of subjects. You'll drive yourself insane trying to do one subject for extended periods, you need to mix it up. Like study maths for an hour and then business, your mind has something different to study and it wont become as tedious. The OP does have to put a tonne of work in, but i think doing 5 day stints of one subject would be a huge mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1. Get past exam papers
    2. DO THEM ALL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

-Sit past Exam papers; time yourself (3 hours)
    -2 hour break
    -Check your answers (2-3 hours)

Do that every day for the subject your trying to study and you should be alright.

edit: also -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2449902#post2449902

What did you do get a programming degree and suddenly remember oh yeah you never did leaving cert? :p

Overheal wrote: »
    -Sit past Exam papers; time yourself (3 hours)
    -2 hour break
    -Check your answers (2-3 hours)

Do that every day for the subject your trying to study and you should be alright.

edit: also -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2449902#post2449902

What did you do get a programming degree and suddenly remember oh yeah you never did leaving cert? :p

Ummm nope was posted for a friend of mine ages ago :D

Advertisement