Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Messages to Politicians

• 21-07-2001 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Came across an article on internet voting on the PD's site: http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/news/200107/minihan019.html

So, I sent the author, John Minihan, this email:

Hi John..

Just read your article on the PDs site. Nice to see a politician sharing some of the vision of an internet society. As I'm sure you're aware, most of your colleagues seem to pay lip service to the idea at best, and don't really seem to understand the true importance of internet access for everyone. For example, if you reply to this email, it will be the first time I have ever got such a reply for a TD.

Anyway, the point of this msg is to ask you if you are aware of the acute problem with internet access in the state. If the average citizen is expected to pay exhorbitant per-minute rates and use (very old at this
    stage) dial-up modem technology, we can expect the internet to remain a clique dominated by "techies", children/gamers and with an unappealing bias towards the more affluent members of society.

Ireland and Greece are now the only two countries left in the EU without a proper always-on broadband Internet service. In Northern Ireland, people enjoy a 24/7 dial-up service for an all-in charge if STG15 a month. Staying on 24/7 here at present "cheap" internet rates would cost approx IRP 450/month. Ireland is rapidly becoming one of the least attractive places to conduct internet e-commerce. The reality is making a ridicule of the governments frequent touted of us as the "e-commerce hub in Europe", etc.

Sure, all the technology is here. We have astounding levels of international connectivity. Roadworks have been endured for years in the major cities as the telephone companies lay endless kms of optic fibre. Yet the average Irish person is in what Americans refer to as the "dark ages" of internet access.

Please take a look at the efforts to date of http://www.irelandoffline.com a campaign group formed recently out of the frustration of ordinary individuals. Your comments would be most welcome. I will post a copy of this
    message on their public forum at http://www.boards.ie/irelandoffline also,
    so please check in there if you want to check any further follow-ups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Excellent letter, Fergus.

Martin

Thank you, Martin! Excellent chairmanship!

Its a pity that John Minihan is from Cork because if he were to run for the Dail Elections in my constituency, I'd vote for him purely on that ticket. Liz O'Donnell is my TD and it proves yet again that the PD's talk perfect sense!!! (I'll leave the political plugs out in the future.)

This does though spark off another debate briefly touched on @ the meeting...

Maybe we should get behind Martin as a protest Independant Dail Candidate Campaigning for Broadband.

"Martin Harran TD"

I like the ring of that!!

80p.

www.80project.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    "Martin Harran TD"

I like the ring of that!!
    </font>

And I certainly do not !!!!!!!

No offence, 80p, but I regard that as easily the worst suggestion made yet smile.gif

Martin

Purely Tongue in Cheek
    Hope No offence taken !?

80p.

www.80project.com

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    Purely Tongue in Cheek
    Hope No offence taken !?
    80p.
    </font>

If i took offence that easily do you think I could have stuck it out this long as Chairman of IrelandOffline ?

LOL

Martin

I suppose to have guided the ship this far and achieved this much so soon, I'm sure your fairly thick skinned. So far everyone we've met has thought twice about dealing w/ IOFFL!

(P.S. Just think of that travel allowance from to Dublin to Donegal !!)

80p.

www.80project.com

i wonder if me could get a new political party moving

Right well, credit where credit's due.. He did reply:

Thanks Fergus for your email and the intersting points raised in it. I will
    examine it in detail and refer to the sites mentioned . I hope to do something in the near future to highlight these issues.
    Regards
    John Minihan

Maybe somebody on our side down in Cork could contact him now to keep the ball rolling? He's minihan@indigo.ie

Originally posted by Fergus:
    For example, if you reply to this email, it will be the first time I have ever got such a reply for a TD.

As far as i know mr minihan is not a TD, do you see the word TD after his name??
    Other than that the email you sent was fine.

[This message has been edited by Rebel18 (edited 23-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rebel18 (edited 23-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rebel18:
    As far as i know mr minihan is not a TD, do you see the word TD after his name??
    </font>

I was aware of the mistake but didn't think it was worth wasting the bandwidth to point it out.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Other than that the email you sent was fine.
    </font>

It's gratifying to know it met with your approval.

Advertisement