Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

bren2001 wrote: »
    GAA president (Christy Cooney) said that there would only be 3 gigs in Croke Park per year. They have been filled by rhcp and Westlife.

If thats so how can you explain that there was four Croke Park concerts in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭bren2001

karaokeman wrote: »
    If thats so how can you explain that there was four Croke Park concerts in 2009?

Change in policy from that year on. Christy Cooney came into power in April 2008. There was complaints over the 4 concerts as Take That played in early June then U2 later on. Leinster teams complained over the quality of the pitch. It was agreed that the playing surface would only be layed over once a year. Leads to there only being 3 concerts from that ruling. Cooney then came out around the time of Take That's last tour and restated most of this in an interview as there was speculation over someone else playing.

3 concerts is all the GAA will let in. Also the Leinster championship calender uses most weekends in June and July and they wouldnt touch the surface in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

The Stone Roses

Black Sabbath could be one of the gigs? They are playing gigs up to the 1st of July so it could, with a bit of luck, be possible.

Pearl Jam maybe

I'd say the Foo's could defo be one of them.

Possibly a night with Irish bands. (The Script, Coronas, Snow Patrol some bands like that)

Lady Gaga or Rihanna

Any word from MCD about when the other 5 gigs will be announced?

Sorry but I'm just getting too excited from all this speculation, I want actual word on who the other headliners will be.

Surely it can't be any later than early in the new year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/12/22/details-on-mcds-phoenix-park-concerts/

Read this yesterday. Seems its not 6 concerts but any amount between 3 - 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Beans_On

I'd say Radiohead are nailed on for this. European tour this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Change in policy from that year on. Christy Cooney came into power in April 2008. There was complaints over the 4 concerts as Take That played in early June then U2 later on. Leinster teams complained over the quality of the pitch. It was agreed that the playing surface would only be layed over once a year. Leads to there only being 3 concerts from that ruling. Cooney then came out around the time of Take That's last tour and restated most of this in an interview as there was speculation over someone else playing.

3 concerts is all the GAA will let in. Also the Leinster championship calender uses most weekends in June and July and they wouldnt touch the surface in August.

there's a Eucharistic Congress taking place in Croker on June 17th. This seems to be big enough for them to apply for an event licence to Dublin City Council. Does this count as a "concert"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

BrianD wrote: »
    there's a Eucharistic Congress taking place in Croker on June 17th. This seems to be big enough for them to apply for an event licence to Dublin City Council. Does this count as a "concert"?

That would be an ecumenical matter

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/12/22/details-on-mcds-phoenix-park-concerts/

Read this yesterday. Seems its not 6 concerts but any amount between 3 - 7.

''Age demographic between 16 and 65''

That sounds interesting. I'm guessing they will be very diverse acts (With a bit of luck)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Alex James was in Ireland 2 weeks ago and he said Blur are reforming for outdoor shows next summer..with a strong support e.g. a reformed Happy Mondays and a more current act for a younger crowd they would be a strong contender.

• Advertisement

Alex James was in Ireland 2 weeks ago and he said Blur are reforming for outdoor shows next summer..with a strong support e.g. a reformed Happy Mondays and a more current act for a younger crowd they would be a strong contender.

That would be fantastic. The Monday's would be great to see with them.

Looking at some of the comments on that Times page. Looks like there could be some problems.
    So, 47,000 people at full capacity. That means at least 23,500 males.
    229 toilets for them to share.
    Therefore, 1 toilet per 102.6 men.
    2 bars for 45,500 Irish people ! Only one way that’s going to end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

CiaranK wrote: »
    Looking at some of the comments on that Times page. Looks like there could be some problems.

How does that mean at least 23,500 males?? If it was Take That or Westlife then it'd be 2,350 males maximum

scudzilla wrote: »
    How does that mean at least 23,500 males?? If it was Take That or Westlife then it'd be 2,350 males maximum

Just half the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

CiaranK wrote: »
    Just half the crowd.

Not at all, some gigs will have a much higher ration of males to female, and vice versa for other gigs

Not at all, some gigs will have a much higher ration of males to female, and vice versa for other gigs

I know that. I was just reposting a comment from the Times page. I don't agree that it will be half and half. Just posting the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Beans_On wrote: »
    I'd say Radiohead are nailed on for this. European tour this summer

Theyve said theyll be doing indoor shows in Europe though.....unless they bring that tent they had a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I'm sure they'll have plenty of spare tents and stages what with Oxegen not happening. I'm sure EventServ are literally begging MCD to hold concerts lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

In that case there would be 44650 females.
    Or 1 toilet per 195 women. That would be much much worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

So Red Hot Chilli Peppers confirmed for one, Stone Roses confirmed for another

I get the feeling that Metallica will be the Rock day and then we'll have the likes of Elton John (also performing in the UK this Summer) and possibly Bruce Springsteen, and then maybe a Pearl Jam/SoundGarden gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I get the feeling that Metallica will be the Rock day and then we'll have the likes of Elton John (also performing in the UK this Summer) and possibly Bruce Springsteen, and then maybe a Pearl Jam/SoundGarden gig

Springsteen is playing the RDS in July though...

Except the Chilis are playing Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Really? Who was the interview with?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I could also see these guys doing a gig , They said somewhere in nme that they are looking to do their own big outdoor shows next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

these will be the acts announced...

1. Christy Moore & Declan Sinnot
    2. Jedward
    3. The Corrs & The 4 Of Us & Aslan
    4. Stone Roses
    5. Two Door Cinema Club (no support)
    6. X Factor Live

who_ru wrote: »
    these will be the acts announced...

1. Christy Moore & Declan Sinnot
    2. Jedward
    3. The Corrs & The 4 Of Us & Aslan
    4. Stone Roses
    5. Two Door Cinema Club (no support)
    6. X Factor Live

LMFAO

karaokeman wrote: »
    LMFAO

They will probably play aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I could also see these guys doing a gig , They said somewhere in nme that they are looking to do their own big outdoor shows next summer

No way would they sell 45,000 tickets,they had to cancel the Marquee a couple of years back due to poor sales and thats only about 4,000 capacity

No way would they sell 45,000 tickets,they had to cancel the Marquee a couple of years back due to poor sales and thats only about 4,000 capacity

But the thing is now they are bigger then they were in 09 . 2 very succesful Irish arena dates , but if they announced some proper support acts it will sell well

• Advertisement

Have to agree with this.

True Kasabian are bigger than they were in 09 but they still wouldn't be big enough to do a huge outdoor show here unless it was as part of a support bill.

If they didn't sell out the 02 when tickets were €40 I couldn't see them manage a 45,000 audience for €63.

I would probably be interested to see Kasabian open for Muse (if Muse are announced).

Advertisement