Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

BobMac104 wrote: »
    great answer E.coli thanks.

+1 Ecoli, thanks. Its always great to get the answers from people in the know.

Looking forward to the plans for after recovery with some different things builtin to help us improve. I have only ever run the miles, but never done tempo, strides, strength, etc so looking forward to having it all explained and guidance for when & how much to do.

I do kettlebells once a week on a Thursday evening and this has greatly improved my core and it means when I get tired running I'm less inclined to slump but keep the core upright. So in a way I suppose I have been doing a bit of strength!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

I did DCM last week too and am interested in following this thread. I was wondering though if it would tie in with doing a spring marathon like Connemarathon or would just be suited to improving speed over shorter distances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I just put up a group run for Sun morning in the park if anyone is interested
    Group Runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

conseng wrote: »
    I did DCM last week too and am interested in following this thread. I was wondering though if it would tie in with doing a spring marathon like Connemarathon or would just be suited to improving speed over shorter distances?

How long are you running?

If DCM was your first marathon I would say that training for a 5 miler would be good prep to bring you nicely into a transition for the Marathon

Two approaches which you coul take are:

2 weeks after this recovery, 10 weeks 5m training + Race, 7 weeks Marathon training, 3 week taper

or

2 weeks after this recovery, 6 weeks 5m training, 11 weeks Marathon training, 3 week taper

either way the training is going to develop your aerobic base which is important for marathon training. The quality sessions will be based around developing the aerobic base as primarily 5k-10k training and marathon training use alot of the same energy systems so in fact the shorter session will have benefits across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Thanks for the title change!

I have signed up for the clonakilty half in december but i reckon the 5 mile training will probably help that right as long as i do a few decent LSRs between now and then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Thanks for the title change!

I have signed up for the clonakilty half in december but i reckon the 5 mile training will probably help that right as long as i do a few decent LSRs between now and then?

Hmm I am in the same boat signed up for the Waterford half in December. Ecoli can you advise what to do till then ? i was going to attepmt (again:rolleyes:) going for sub 2 is that a bit soon after DCM? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

ecoli wrote: »
    How long are you running?

If DCM was your first marathon I would say that training for a 5 miler would be good prep to bring you nicely into a transition for the Marathon

Two approaches which you coul take are:

2 weeks after this recovery, 10 weeks 5m training + Race, 7 weeks Marathon training, 3 week taper

or

2 weeks after this recovery, 6 weeks 5m training, 11 weeks Marathon training, 3 week taper

either way the training is going to develop your aerobic base which is important for marathon training. The quality sessions will be based around developing the aerobic base as primarily 5k-10k training and marathon training use alot of the same energy systems so in fact the shorter session will have benefits across the board

I started running in January and ran 3-4 times a week until May when the GAA season took over. I did GAA training only until August and jumped into about week 9 of HH novice 1 marathon training program which got me around the marathon (my first marathon and 3rd race, other 2 were 10k's) and confirmed that I could enjoy this running crack.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go as I really enjoyed the "Boards" element to the marathon training. I intend to do a number of 10k races locally next year too with possibly Connemara and probably DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hmm I am in the same boat signed up for the Waterford half in December. Ecoli can you advise what to do till then ? i was going to attepmt (again:rolleyes:) going for sub 2 is that a bit soon after DCM? Thanks

Same here.

My advice would be post recovery (1 week) to aim to try similar schedule during the week with the only difference being stretch out the long run at weekend following this pattern

Week 1 Saturday and Sunday 70 min easy
    Week 2 Saturday 90 min easy
    Week 3 Saturday Sunday 60 min easy

After this taper for the remaining week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

My advice would be post recovery (1 week) to aim to try similar schedule during the week with the only difference being stretch out the long run at weekend following this pattern

Week 1 Saturday and Sunday 70 min easy
    Week 2 Saturday 90 min easy
    Week 3 Saturday Sunday 60 min easy

After this taper for the remaining week

Perfect thanks ecoli. can i just clarify something, so rest days monday and friday and run the other days.

• Advertisement

Perfect thanks ecoli. can i just clarify something, so rest days monday and friday and run the other days.

Yes and the week I have scheduled only one run at the weekend (the middle week) you can do cross training on the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Hi guys.
    I'm beginning to think i was silly signing up for that marathon cool-down on Sat now. I know Ray said it would be ok if I just run the 8 mile at slow pace but you know yourselves once you are out there you get carried away with the occasion. Legs are still tired and just very slight niggly. Does anyone have any advice as whether I would be better giving it a miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Another question Ecoli!

For the DCM I only ran tues,thurs & LSR on sat or sun. Have 4 kids and getting out that often is sometimes a struggle! Still managed a 4:22, started running slowly in May and built up to 10k distance in August then it took off-I fell inlove with running. Anyway I digress, my question is if I continue with only running on these days what distances & tempo or speed training should I do? Really want to improve my times over shorter distances.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Younganne wrote: »
    I thought FS was from 18 - 39...i long out of it so...hitting 40:eek::eek:

Happy birthday in advance. I was already a veteran when I ran my first race in April last year. Go figure. Early forties seems about average in races I think. Someone on here said you get 10 years of improvement regardless of what age you start. I'm happy to go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

snailsong wrote: »
    Happy birthday in advance. I was already a veteran when I ran my first race in April last year. Go figure. Early forties seems about average in races I think. Someone on here said you get 10 years of improvement regardless of what age you start. I'm happy to go with that.

Will probably be sorry I asked but what age is veteran and is there any category after that ?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Masters categories start at M/F35 (age 35-39) and go up in increments of 5 years from there.

kit3 wrote: »
    Will probably be sorry I asked but what age is veteran and is there any category after that ?

I was talking about over 40 which seems to be called Male Veteran in most events I've done. Sometimes you see MV40 and MV50 categories. I'm not an octogenarian if that's what you thought;)

Masters categories start at M/F35 (age 35-39) and go up in increments of 5 years from there.

Knew I shouldn't have asked. Seems I've been a master for all of 9 yrs :eek: wasn't even running for most of that time. Think I'll ignore it ! makes me suddenly feel old

I was talking about over 40 which seems to be called Male Veteran in most events I've done. Sometimes you see MV40 and MV50 categories. I'm not an octogenarian if that's what you thought;)

No - didn't think that at all. I'm probably a bit older than you - 44 last b/day:rolleyes: Edit - just re-read my post - wasn't asking your age - just what age the veteran category started at

Thanks Snailsong - 6 week left to be a "youngone" and then I think I heard somewhere once that Life begins at 40:D

When i was a running in U10s a few yrs ago:D my mother used to run in the Over 40s and that seems so old:eek: to me then...but i have recently changed my mind:D

Age is all in the mind after all, not the legs......

• Advertisement

I'm 41 if anyone's interested. I look at other people my age and think they're getting old but thankfully I'm still a young fella:p. I'm definitely fitter than when I was 30.

Edit- A young guy at work, about 20, was listening to my ipod one day and said 'hey, you're a cool old person'. I still haven't worked out if that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 barking1503

Hi All - jumping in here and hoping to tag along here too. Just finished DCM my 1st marathon and am a plodder, 5.08, though carrying a niggling achilles injury which came against me.Anyhooo really love to improve my times in general, feel a bit can run forever but it's slower I am getting,,,,,

Haven't been on road since DCM mainly due to unbel sore toes!!! Last of my hanging off nails now gone (:eek::eek::eek:) so can go again. Am ignoring achilles as has had more than enough attention since early August:mad:

Was aiming for Waterford half in Dec and then Dungarvan 10 miler in Jan.

Maybe I should re-read this thread but just wondering at what level of effort should we be running the mid-week runs???

Thanks all, this thread might help my post marathon blues.....have run out of people who will listen to my DCM talk!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 barking1503

I'm 41 if anyone's interested. I look at other people my age and think they're getting old but thankfully I'm still a young fella:p. I'm definitely fitter than when I was 30.

Edit- A young guy at work, about 20, was listening to my ipod one day and said 'hey, you're a cool old person'. I still haven't worked out if that's good.

As an aside I am also 41 and my teenage daughter thought my LSR music list was "pathetic" until in the car yesterday we heard "Aint nothin going to break my stride" by Matthew Wilder (80's "classic") all remixed and newly released. :D:D:D Got such pleasure in it!!!!

On this basis the Rocky soundtrack will surely be next for re-release;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Great to see a new thread to follow :), thank you!

Cutex wrote: »
    Another question Ecoli!

For the DCM I only ran tues,thurs & LSR on sat or sun. Have 4 kids and getting out that often is sometimes a struggle! Still managed a 4:22, started running slowly in May and built up to 10k distance in August then it took off-I fell inlove with running. Anyway I digress, my question is if I continue with only running on these days what distances & tempo or speed training should I do? Really want to improve my times over shorter distances.

Thanks in advance :)

I am gonna let you in on the greatest training secret in running. It is the most important factor and is the key to the success of every runner throughout the years......... Consistency.

A persons aerobic capacity is something that takes years and years to develop fully (and often people dont ever get to a point where they fully develop it) Simply put putting in the miles week in week out will yield massive benefits from anything from 1500m to marathon and further.

The training on those days will see you yield benefit but the aim is always safe progression of training. As you will get fitter your "easy run" pace will naturally come down and you will get quicker without having to force the pace. So if you are doing 30 min runs 3 times a week and covering 3 miles in each run as you get fitter you will start to cover more ground (for example 3.5 miles in 30 min and then on to 4 miles)

At the moment the plan is still on recovery but after this I will be adding one quality day a week with the remainder being aerobic running. Aim to try hit as many of these as you can with the one quality session being the focus of the week.

This does not mean that the quality session is the be all and end all but its a part of an overall puzzle and as such easy runs are just as important and not to be ignored completely if you are looking for optimum benefit

Hi All - jumping in here and hoping to tag along here too. Just finished DCM my 1st marathon and am a plodder, 5.08, though carrying a niggling achilles injury which came against me.Anyhooo really love to improve my times in general, feel a bit can run forever but it's slower I am getting,,,,,

Haven't been on road since DCM mainly due to unbel sore toes!!! Last of my hanging off nails now gone (:eek::eek::eek:) so can go again. Am ignoring achilles as has had more than enough attention since early August:mad:

Was aiming for Waterford half in Dec and then Dungarvan 10 miler in Jan.

Maybe I should re-read this thread but just wondering at what level of effort should we be running the mid-week runs???

Thanks all, this thread might help my post marathon blues.....have run out of people who will listen to my DCM talk!!!!

Regarding the ankle my advice would be listen to your body. Garmins Sports science etc are great tools which have helped running in recent years but the greatest measurement tool you can have is your body as such it is important to have a good reading of your body this is something which if you can master can yield great benefits overall. Ignoring pain can often make things worse and easier to get maintenance on niggles than having to take time off injured (which often leads to getting desperate and trying anything a physio suggests)

In terms of easy pace. What pace did you do these runs prior to the marathon? Best advice would be you should be able to hold a conversation if not you are running too fast. Running calculators such as Mcmillan/ Runningforfitness.org/Runbayou.com are all great websites which you can input your most recent race results in order to gain a rough idea of what paces you should be running at but should be used as a guide moreso than an exact figure as you have to take into account weather, personal circumstances and run profile and adjust accordingly which is why i stress trying to learn to listening to your body

As you will get fitter your "easy run" pace will naturally come down and you will get quicker without having to force the pace. So if you are doing 30 min runs 3 times a week and covering 3 miles in each run as you get fitter you will start to cover more ground (for example 3.5 miles in 30 min and then on to 4 miles)

Does this progression go on indefinately or do you reach a plateau from where you need speed work to progress further ? I started "running" in March 2009 and my natural easy run pace was 12 minute miles (practically a walk by most people's standard on here). At this stage my natural easy run pace is about 9.50 min miles. Should this keep going down with more miles put in or will it stop without specific speed work ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I did my first marathon (first race) in May 2010 to celebrate my 50th Birthday weighing in at 16 1/2 stone (5"10) - I have now done Dublin twice and Barcelona, Athlone 3/4 Marathon twice and two 1/2's this year. My achilles ache and I have wrecked my knee but I still got out today for 7K. I think that I might have the bug.
    I am now in the 14St 10Lb category:D

Jimh thats a great weight loss, fair play to you, keep it going....its a bug alright, but one that you don't want to get rid off!!!

I walked my first marathon in 2006 and promised to run it some day.... 6mths after i had my 3rd child i started running in June 2009. I ran my first marathon like yourself in 2010, ran it again this yr and have done various races over the last yr, not many but a few.... I am now on Marathon recovery week 1 and at the end of week 4 i will do 5k race probably Castleblaney 4th Dec, 10k on 28th Dec in Howth and then follow Ecolis plan for the 5 m at the end of Jan.....

Keep posting your progress here as we are all novices and we are using the experts on the Boards forum to help us improve;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I was over 17 stone when I started training for Newry in Jan 2010 - I was a bit dissapointed with my performance in Dublin this year - I did 4:30 in Dublin last year but training this time started really well and I did 1:54 in the Longford Half and then picked up a problem - I then did a steady 1:57 in Phoenix park but picked up my knee injury 3 miles from the end. Two Weeks later I did the Athlone 3/4 in just over 3 hours so I was hoping to get close to or under 4 hours but on the day I felt really tired after 12 miles and I reached half way in 2:00:31 but from 13-19 it was walk a mile run a mile and somehow I ran the last 7 mile to finish in 4:28. The 3/4 was my only long run and the lack of miles told on me in the end
    My training partner has done all 32 Dublin Marathons and at the age of 65 did a 1:56 half finishing in 4:08

Advertisement