Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Hi there everyone,

Hows everyone enjoying the game so far?

I would like to make you guys aware of an event The Initiative have planned for this coming Saturday.

As you may have seen we haven't been doing fantastically well in WvW yet and we hope to change that this week.

http://www.gw2guilds.org/view-alliance/1

The Initiative is a huge alliance with a lot of dedicated members and 90% of the guilds have held back so far in WvW to get a sense of the other worlds.

On Saturday 8th from 9:00AM the Initiative will be moving into WvW.

This is a combined effort from a lot of different guilds. The target will be the two enemy borderlands we hope to starve them of points from those maps and force them into the Eternal battlegrounds.

Hit me up in game the name is Mikkey for any more info we will be in there from 9:00am onwards holding keeps and attacking castles.

Would be awesome if some of you guys could come too.

Cheers

Damn going hill walking saturday :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I bought a copy for my son today in gamestop Mallow. They have plenty in stock including the collectors edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The things you will be farming will be skins you find interesting rather than the traditional gear treadmill, Which I love as it means you don't replace all your hard earned items with greens at the start of every expansion!:P

I couldn't give a **** about the skins tbh, also no interest in buying the stupid **** from the Gem Store - shades etc. as long as my staff is exotic, has the right stats and goes pew pew I am happy out. I wouldn't call chasing vanity skins an endgame....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Inquitus wrote: »
    I couldn't give a **** about the skins tbh, also no interest in buying the stupid **** from the Gem Store - shades etc. as long as my staff is exotic, has the right stats and goes pew pew I am happy out. I wouldn't call chasing vanity skins an endgame....

Guild Wars 2 is all about the skins though:P

Even PVP, All the sets of armour have the same stats but each tier looks different.

Everything is geared towards looking good rather than trying to get the best items.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How come the trading post is constantly down for maintenance ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

How come the trading post is constantly down for maintenance ?

People find exploits and they take it down immediately until they resolve the issue. Unlike some MMOs, they let it run. My hats off to Arenanet, as annoying as it is :P

People find exploits and they take it down immediately until they resolve the issue. Unlike some MMOs, they let it run. My hats off to Arenanet, as annoying as it is :P

well thats fair enough but it always seems to be down whenever I try to access it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I'm actually really curious about this, has anyone heard what type of exploits have been discovered for the trading post? Like when the mail system was taken down for an exploit, I really can't see any way someone is exploiting them.
    Also, speaking of mail, anyone else started getting spam e-mail to their character? PvPBank (or some other such *******) have started sending me ads in-game, quite annoying! Can't wait for the team to implement the "report mail" button.

Anyone else get in game gold selling spam?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Anyone else get in game gold selling spam?

Read my post above you :). There will be a button added soon to allow players to report in-game mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I have no idea where to go level. Im currently a level 8 norn. Ive done all the quests (love heart things) in my starting area, and then moved into wayfarer foothills at like level 5 and done most of the quests there until I hit a certain point where everything seemed to jump straight up to like level 13+ and I wasnt able for them.

After that me and some friends went and levelled in the grove and Caledon forest up until around Sandycove beach. Now im at a complete loss.

This aspect of the game is pretty annoying. Im so used to it being simple like WoW :D. Anybody got any info?

http://www.guildhead.com/map

This lists all the areas and shows their level ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    Not sorted out yet. Used that link and can now access forums. No game access yet though.. Oh well

Still no joy getting access after being hacked. At this stage GW2 can piss off.................:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

So i've been level 80 for 2 or 3 days now... PVE endgame is pretty poor imo, besides PVP i've got nothing to do really, i've got a full set of exotic, completed pretty much every dungeon and 60% map completion(Have a couple of exploration dungeons to do).

I just think they missed a huge opportunity to take over from wow as the number one MMO. It really needed proper endgame PVE because it does so much else right. As it stands, it won't have the longevity of wow for PVE players.

Trying to buy green wood planks off the trading post and I can't :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Trying to buy green wood planks off the trading post and I can't :confused:

Yeah your gonna have to relog and then it should work

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah your gonna have to relog and then it should work

OK Did that and it worked and I brought what I needed but now I can't get the items into my inventory :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Go to the trading post place. It's a weighing scales on your map. speak to him and you can collect your gear.

Just did the level 30 dungeon for the first time with some Celtic incision guys. Was fun.

I do think the corpse running during a fight is OP as hell. There doesn't seem to be a penalty for dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Magill wrote: »
    So i've been level 80 for 2 or 3 days now... PVE endgame is pretty poor imo, besides PVP i've got nothing to do really, i've got a full set of exotic, completed pretty much every dungeon and 60% map completion(Have a couple of exploration dungeons to do).

I just think they missed a huge opportunity to take over from wow as the number one MMO. It really needed proper endgame PVE because it does so much else right. As it stands, it won't have the longevity of wow for PVE players.

How many hours a day do you play? Cant believe people are at 80 already and bored in a game of this scale!! The percentage of the population at lvl 80 at this stage must be sub 5%. WoW didnt have an amazing endgame a few days after launch either. End game as PvP is perfect for the time being imo .. dont think the game is particularly aimed at the WoW raid gear grinders, at least yet anyway. The good thing is I suppose is that you can go back to WoW until that type of content is introduced and you wont have to worry about re-subbing to play!

Are you suggesting that GW2 adopts the same method as WoW, In which all your hard work becomes obsolete every few months because of a new expansion?

They have been saying this from the start, PvE endgame begins from the moment you load the game. It is not a grind to 80 in order to get to the fun things. You said it yourself, You have a couple of explorables do, That is comparable to me saying I am bored of WoW and it lacks content but I didn't do Black Temple yet(I haven't played in years!:P). Each explorable dungeon is actually multiple dungeons, You go off in different paths and fight different bosses/enemies, There might be a slight bit of overlap in getting to the bosses but other than that they are completely separate experiences.

Sure, Loads of content does not open up once you hit 80 like in WoW, But how is that ever a good thing? Why should I not be allowed to experience the fun parts of a game until I dedicate a few hundred hours?

When you compare how many zones, dynamic events(Each zone with its own large event), World bosses and instances(Each with multiple paths) GW2 has compared to what WoW had when it initially released I cannot see how you can even consider saying that GW2 is lacking in content.

Also, Have you considered farming the legendaries? They each have unique skins, Animations and particle effects. For example the legendary shortbow is rumoured to shoot rainbows, And each will take weeks of work to obtain.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    How many hours a day do you play? Cant believe people are at 80 already and bored in a game of this scale!! The percentage of the population at lvl 80 at this stage must be sub 5%. WoW didnt have an amazing endgame a few days after launch either. End game as PvP is perfect for the time being imo .. dont think the game is particularly aimed at the WoW raid gear grinders, at least yet anyway. The good thing is I suppose is that you can go back to WoW until that type of content is introduced and you wont have to worry about re-subbing to play!

I had a huge session last saturday/sunday, besides that maybe 3 or 4 hours a night. I haven't played wow in 2 years (besides a month stint at the start of the summer), but it took a long time to finish the end game, even in vanilla... mainly because it was actual endgame. In GW2 by the time your 80 you'll probably already have done all the dungeons (I only had the level 80 one to do when i dinged). And just 1 or 2 80 zones to complete which take less than a couple of hours each.

Are you suggesting that GW2 adopts the same method as WoW, In which all your hard work becomes obsolete every few months because of a new expansion?
    Wow expansions are released once a year, they do add new tiers every 4 months or so tho. I mean.. the reason wow has been the #1 mmo since its release is the endgame progression. Its why players constantly come back to it. Do they really expect people to grind dungeons just for a reskin ?
    They have been saying this from the start, PvE endgame begins from the moment you load the game. It is not a grind to 80 in order to get to the fun things. You said it yourself, You have a couple of explorables do, That is comparable to me saying I am bored of WoW and it lacks content but I didn't do Black Temple yet(I haven't played in years!:P). Each explorable dungeon is actually multiple dungeons, You go off in different paths and fight different bosses/enemies, There might be a slight bit of overlap in getting to the bosses but other than that they are completely separate experiences.

Well... no its not really like saying that. Considering black temple took most guilds up to a few months to complete.. and i've already done most of the dungeons at least once in exploration mode after less than 2 weeks playing.
    Sure, Loads of content does not open up once you hit 80 like in WoW, But how is that ever a good thing? Why should I not be allowed to experience the fun parts of a game until I dedicate a few hundred hours? When you compare how many zones, dynamic events(Each zone with its own large event), World bosses and instances(Each with multiple paths) GW2 has compared to what WoW had when it initially released I cannot see how you can even consider saying that GW2 is lacking in content.
    Well yeah... it is a good thing. Your forgetting that wow had nearly 15 level 1-59 dungeons on release aswel.. it wasn't just about the endgame in the beginning, playing/leveling with friends for the first time was just as fun as it was in guildwars for me. I don't want to keep comparing it to wow, because i know they're didn't try to replicate it and for a lot of things thats worked out well... but small things like being able to inspect other players gear, checking how many kills you've got in pvp to bigger things like actual meaningful gear progression would have gone a long way. Gotta also remember that wow was released nearly 8 years ago it really didn't feel like a grind in 2005 and the fact that a near 8 year old game had better endgame is astonishing.

Also, Have you considered farming the legendaries? They each have unique skins, Animations and particle effects. For example the legendary shortbow is rumoured to shoot rainbows, And each will take weeks of work to obtain.
    No, i don't see the point in investing that much time for something that is merely a reskin. I already look like a bad ass with my 10 gold gear set.

I donno... im just disappointed that im already bored with a game that was hyped so much and almost delivered until i reached level 80 and released there was nothing left to do.

Here is an example of the legendary weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Well yeah... it is a good thing. Your forgetting that wow had nearly 15 level 1-59 dungeons on release aswel.. it wasn't just about the endgame in the beginning, playing/leveling with friends for the first time was just as fun as it was in guildwars for me. I don't want to keep comparing it to wow, because i know they're didn't try to replicate it and for a lot of things thats worked out well... but small things like being able to inspect other players gear, checking how many kills you've got in pvp to bigger things like actual meaningful gear progression would have gone a long way. Gotta also remember that wow was released nearly 8 years ago it really didn't feel like a grind in 2005 and the fact that a near 8 year old game had better endgame is astonishing.

But what's the difference between farming skins and farming gear with better stats? At the end of the day the goal is the same.. It's items that set you apart from other players. In the case of wow the better gear made you more powerful than other players. But isn't that kind of silly in a way? Why do we need to make the players who are playing the game the most, and have developed better skills because of that, more powerful than casual players. It means the casual has no chance in PVE or PVP because they are facing dedicated gamers with gear far superior to theirs. There is no challenge in that. Success or achievement in a mmo at endgame should be down to a players skill only and not to gear differences... Especially in PvP. I'm betting that GW2 PvP will prosper and be a massive hit because of this. PvE I'm less concerned about but I'm guessing content will be added in time along with some of the features you say are missing at the moment

In a few weeks when I hit level 80 and after I lv a Necromancer, I think I'll try for one of the Legendaries. I can't understand why people are rushing to get to lv 80 and skipping most of the content. Your only robbing yourself. Last night I spent 2 hours on jumping puzzles. There is one in Lion's Arch that's really cool . I didn't get much XP in the 2 hours but, I had a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

In GW2 by the time your 80 you'll probably already have done all the dungeons (I only had the level 80 one to do when i dinged). And just 1 or 2 80 zones to complete which take less than a couple of hours each.

I'm sorry but you have had to have wh0red this game to the extreme since it came out, to only have 2 areas left outa them all is alot of work, let alone it sounds like you have run the explorable dungeons dozens of times each to have got the gear. I know a few guildies who are lvl 80 and most of them have barely touched 50% of the map. I'm around 65 myself and have about 32% world completed. I don't blame you for being burnt out because it sounds like you are playing a game designed to not be wh0red to the extreme in a way that wow or other massive timesink mmos play. Its not that type of mmo, most of us knew that before even preordreing not sure how you didn't.

End game is WvW pvp for me and alot of people I play with, with no pve raids and handfull of 5man dungeons it was obvious if you werent a mmo pvp fan then endgame wasnt going to be massive(each dungeon has 3 diff options to do so there is various ways and areas to do in each dungeon so technically there is alot more then the actuall amount of enterable dungeons)

I and most of the people I play with are sick of the tried and tested wow/lotro etc end game with raiding taking over your evenings and more work then fun going into an mmo, gw2 is different and its endgame like has been said has already started when you created your character, its meant to be more fun then work and therefore more casual. I still waste hours on the game but its more for PVP and doing the areas then any actually grind, and It will be wvw pvp for me for months. Alts and doing the areas again :)
    Its no more repetitive then anything wow ever done, You make it sound like you didn't have to grind the wow dungeons again and again and again and again for gear. You coulda been done with wow endgame in a week bar a raid if you count doing a instance once as it 'done'

I ain't trying to wowbash or lick to much Anet shoes but you sound alot like the moaners on reddit and the likes, they aren't playing wow anymore so obv something wow does at endgame isn't good enough as they arent doing it, then they get gw2 and want it to do what wow does but just right so they wont be bored of the 'wowness' of it. I honestly dont get the logic, Rift has end game coming out the wazoo yet it failed as to many say it was wow with rifts, to alike. Gw2 isnt like wow enough, omg wheres the instance finder and my raids, its gona fail.

sigh :P
    Honestly I think the entire leveling system should have been removed as it serves no purpose other than to limit the world and give people a false sense of working towards something.

Anet actually didn't want to have levels, and at first weren't going to. They only added them in late in the dev stage as they thought the lack of levels would just be to alien to the average mmo/wow player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I have no idea where to go level. Im currently a level 8 norn. Ive done all the quests (love heart things) in my starting area, and then moved into wayfarer foothills at like level 5 and done most of the quests there until I hit a certain point where everything seemed to jump straight up to like level 13+ and I wasnt able for them.

After that me and some friends went and levelled in the grove and Caledon forest up until around Sandycove beach. Now im at a complete loss.

This aspect of the game is pretty annoying. Im so used to it being simple like WoW :D. Anybody got any info?

I think your problem is that you're treating the renown hearts as quest hubs, and not doing anything else?. The hearts are only a fraction of the available xp - events, crafting and exploring will give you tons more. Trying to progress only using the hearts will not work, you need to explore the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I had a huge session last saturday/sunday, besides that maybe 3 or 4 hours a night. I haven't played wow in 2 years (besides a month stint at the start of the summer), but it took a long time to finish the end game, even in vanilla... mainly because it was actual endgame. In GW2 by the time your 80 you'll probably already have done all the dungeons (I only had the level 80 one to do when i dinged). And just 1 or 2 80 zones to complete which take less than a couple of hours each.

I'm sick and tired of telling people this; Stop comparing it to WoW. WoW is a dungeon based MMO with focus on endgame raids. Guild wars is a casual MMO with focus on exploration and PvP.

I also can't see how you only have one or two 80 zones left with only 60% map completion?
    Wow expansions are released once a year, they do add new tiers every 4 months or so tho. I mean.. the reason wow has been the #1 mmo since its release is the endgame progression. Its why players constantly come back to it. Do they really expect people to grind dungeons just for a reskin ?

Not sure what your point is here. The standard gear treadmill works for WoW yes but again what has this got to do with GW2?

And for the record WoW raids were / are incredibly tedious and a massive grind. How anyone finds it fun is beyond me.
    Well... no its not really like saying that. Considering black temple took most guilds up to a few months to complete.. and i've already done most of the dungeons at least once in exploration mode after less than 2 weeks playing.

Again if you find dying constantly on the same content for months and months fun more power to you.

I'm not going to go into every point on this but again you keep referring to "endgame". This isn't a WoW clone MMO, stop looking for things in it you think worked in WoW, they won't be there, ever!

Also "Meaningful gear progression" imho is not a good thing. It turns the playerbase into hardcore ego maniacs and makes the game about one thing. I've played WoW for long enough to realise this is a deeply flawed system and that's before taking into account pvp balance!

And for the record you couldn't inspect gear or pvp kills in WoW on release! :p

I donno... im just disappointed that im already bored with a game that was hyped so much and almost delivered until i reached level 80 and released there was nothing left to do.

What do you expect? You rushed through the game like leveling an alt in WoW expecting the game to start at 80.

Also it's fairly clear you have no intention to pvp which is what guild wars has always been about first and foremost. How you didn't know this before hand is strange!

Being honest and without trying to sound smart, I think you need to go back to WoW for your MMO experience. You are trying desperately to find it in GW2 and that's never going to happen!

Playboy wrote: »
    But what's the difference between farming skins and farming gear with better stats? At the end of the day the goal is the same.. It's items that set you apart from other players. In the case of wow the better gear made you more powerful than other players. But isn't that kind of silly in a way? Why do we need to make the players who are playing the game the most, and have developed better skills because of that, more powerful than casual players. It means the casual has no chance in PVE or PVP because they are facing dedicated gamers with gear far superior to theirs. There is no challenge in that. Success or achievement in a mmo at endgame should be down to a players skill only and not to gear differences... Especially in PvP. I'm betting that GW2 PvP will prosper and be a massive hit because of this. PvE I'm less concerned about but I'm guessing content will be added in time along with some of the features you say are missing at the moment

Yes, farming gear would be the same in both games... if there was some kind of progression. Unless your in a top guild, it takes months to complete dungeons in wow.. whereas I've already completed all of the story mode dungeons and have done most of them in exploration mode (Just the 40+50 ones to do).
    I'm sorry but you have had to have wh0red this game to the extreme since it came out, to only have 2 areas left outa them all is alot of work, let alone it sounds like you have run the explorable dungeons dozens of times each to have got the gear. I know a few guildies who are lvl 80 and most of them have barely touched 50% of the map. I'm around 65 myself and have about 32% world completed. I don't blame you for being burnt out because it sounds like you are playing a game designed to not be wh0red to the extreme in a way that wow or other massive timesink mmos play. Its not that type of mmo, most of us knew that before even preordreing not sure how you didn't.
    I never said i have 2 areas left, like i said, I've about 60% map completion. I said there is only a couple of level 80 zones to do. And like I've said.. im not burnt out.. i just don't have anything worthwhile to do. I'll be leaving the low level area's i haven't done incase i decide to make a new character or something. I never researched or looked at any videos concerning the game, just for something that was talked about so much i wasn't expecting to be twiddling my thumbs so soon.

I and most of the people I play with are sick of the tried and tested wow/lotro etc end game with raiding taking over your evenings and more work then fun going into an mmo, gw2 is different and its endgame like has been said has already started when you created your character, its meant to be more fun then work and therefore more casual. I still waste hours on the game but its more for PVP and doing the areas then any actually grind, and It will be wvw pvp for me for months. Alts and doing the areas again :)
    Its no more repetitive then anything wow ever done, You make it sound like you didn't have to grind the wow dungeons again and again and again and again for gear. You coulda been done with wow endgame in a week bar a raid if you count doing a instance once as it 'done'
    You aren't the only one, like ive said i haven't played wow in about 2 years. All im saying is something more meaty at endgame would have made this game much better. As it stands.. its kind of like skyrim with multiplayer.. which is still pretty cool i guess.

Like i've said, i think most of what they've done with the game has been great. No need to get butt hurt people, its just an opinion of the "No endgame" model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Created an Asura Necromancer yesterday, loving it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

I went to buy the game today but they have suspended the digital downloads on the site. I went looking for a disc copy around Blanch but it seems to be unavailable in store too. Has anyone seen it in the city centre or know when it can be got for digital downloads again.

Advertisement