Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky vs. NTL

• 30-05-2004 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

I'm half considering switching from NTL Digital to Sky for the + service (i.e. recording etc etc). Anyone made a similar switch, and what would the expert consensus be??. There seem to be a few decent deals around at the minute, so its seems to be a good time to do it....

TIA,

AG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

go for sky :D:D
    much better ;););)
    esb are doing an offer at the mo - free install & 1 months free premium viewing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Thanks for the reply PK. Don't want to labour the point, but why exactly would you recommend Sky as being better than NTL??. Just want to have the facts all straight.

Cheers!.

Well ntl is fine and grand, but IMO, sky gives a better quality of picture, more channels and more choice (sky+, 2nd sub etc.)
    But on the other hand ntl is good in the sense of "multi room viewing", works out a little cheaper than sky, and has a good lineup of terrestrial stations.

I also must complement ntl on their CS - they are superior and are really uncomparable to sky!!! When ntl say they call, they do - sky sometimes (and often) don't!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Originally posted by PK - the king
    Well ntl is fine and grand, but IMO, sky gives a better quality of picture, more channels and more choice (sky+, 2nd sub etc.)

I can't see too much wrong with the picture on NTL digital, and Sky+ is a con: E15 a month/ top package is required, and after the year if you give up your subscription (i.e. just want the free channels), your left with an expensive PVR (E300) that doesn't work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

the ownly downer i find with sky is that you cant get channel 4 , ITV , UTV at the moment:rolleyes: But sky had loads of channels if you dont want sports or movies go got the family pack €27 odd a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Round Cable
    I can't see too much wrong with the picture on NTL digital, and Sky+ is a con: E15 a month/ top package is required, and after the year if you give up your subscription (i.e. just want the free channels), your left with an expensive PVR (E300) that doesn't work.

Sky + is not a con , top package is not required. Does NTL output RGB picture? Just brcause you do not see anything wrong does not mean its the best quality available. Black and white tv looked pretty good until colour came along.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    the ownly downer i find with sky is that you cant get channel 4 , ITV , UTV at the moment

Agreed its a major impediment to sales of sky.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

NTL Digital does output RGB, and I'm very happy with the quality, at least on the mainstream channels. Some of the special interest/minority channels are more heavily compressed, but not to the point where it becomes noticeable or intrusive.

For me, the main advantages of NTL Digital are:

- ITV and Channel 4
    - Main channels also available in analogue format for convenient multi-room viewing
    - Cheaper monthly cost
    - No need to mount a satellite dish

As against that, I don't have:

- Extra Sky channels (not too worried about this, have too many channels as it is!)
    - Sky+ (I use Tivo instead, which I prefer)
    - Ability to watch one digital channel while recording another (less of an issue when the main channels are also available in analogue)

I should mention that my parents had Sky, so I'm reasonably familiar with it. They recently switched to NTL MMDS, primarily for ITV & C4 access, along with reduced monthly cost.

Originally posted by Tenshot
    NTL Digital does output RGB, and I'm very happy with the quality, at least on the mainstream channels. Some of the special interest/minority channels are more heavily compressed, but not to the point where it becomes noticeable or intrusive.

The heavy compression is also a problem on some of the "lower budget" channels. Your other points are well made, nice post.

Tony

Originally posted by Tony
    Sky + is not a con , top package is not required.

So after 1 year, if you drop your subscription with Sky do you get to use the Sky+ features?

• Advertisement

So after 1 year, if you drop your subscription with Sky do you get to use the Sky+ features?

Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to ?

websters definition of "con" - " To swindle (a victim) by first winning his or her confidence; dupe"

Tony

Why are you asking a question you already know the answer to ?

websters definition of "con" - " To swindle (a victim) by first winning his or her confidence; dupe"

Tony

My definition of con (in terms of SKY+): Paying for a PVR (E300), stop subscribing, no features; robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My definition of con (in terms of SKY+): Paying for a PVR (E300), stop subscribing, no features; robbed.

So dont get it in the first place, a con would be if they claimed that it will still give you all the features without the subscription. After all why should they be conserned with you when your not subscribing to them.

Conclusion: if your going to stay with them long term and want the sky+ features, then get it, otherwise go with the Tivo or an alternative that will still work after the subscription is gone.

How are you being robbed? You obviously know that sky + will not work without a subscription so why buy it in the first place, I think you should re examine your concept of being robbed.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sky + is not a con , top package is not required. Tony

Is the extra SKY+ subscription gone now on all the lower packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The €15 Sky+ subscription charge is waived if you have two or more premium Sky channels. The four premium sky channels are Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Premiere and Sky Moviemax.

If you don't have two or more of these channels then the €15 charge applies for the Sky+ functionality.

TIVO is also subscription based. Not sure of the exact charge but I think it is £10 per month or a one off £200 lifetime subscription.

I think you should re examine your concept of being robbed.

It's just my personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Yep, Tivo is around €15 per month, or €300 for a lifetime subscription (that's the lifetime of the Tivo, not the owner!)

If you're on the monthly sub, then you lose the ability to do scheduled recordings if your subscription is cancelled. You can still pause live TV, but that's of limited utility on its own tbh.

That said, once you get used to a PVR of any kind, it's difficult to imagine going back, so I expect it's quite rare for people to cancel their subs.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I also must complement ntl on their CS - they are superior and are really uncomparable to sky!!! When ntl say they call, they do - sky sometimes (and often) don't!!!

Oh My Fcuking GOD!!! Are you taking the piss or are you dilussional? NTL have to have the worst Customer Care in the world. They are are useless, incompetant and rude CS I've ever had the misfortune to deal with and the average time spent waiting to talk to someone can be up to 40 minutes. I was with NTL in 3 different places for the guts of 3 years and never had a phonecall with them where I thought they had anything other than the worst CS in history. Even €ircon are better than them. In the 2 years I've been with Sky though, EVERY time I have rang them I have gotten through within 2 minutes and talked to some very nice people who did their damndest to help me out. I wouldn't go back to NTL if they paid me to use their crappy service which used to go down at least once a fortnight. 2 years of Sky and our picture went once, for 2 minutes, in the middle of a pretty heavy thunderstorm. Ok, got that off my chest. ie. I recommend Sky :)

It's just my personal view.

Fair enough

• Advertisement

Originally posted by John R
    Is the extra SKY+ subscription gone now on all the lower packages?

No it has not changed John , still €46 or more if memory serves.

I get at lesat 5 calls a week from people dissatisfied with NTL customer service and looking for alternatives.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sharkboy

I think you can be lucky or unlucky with Sky or NTL I had a problen with Sky were I could not pick up a number of channels scuzz the amp sky travel and a few others.
    Got a new box new dish new cable and still the same problem.
    I think that some Astra 2D channels have a very week signal in Ireland.
    I have seen a lot of problems on this board ie no signal on the four Irish channels these are also on astra 2D.
    Now as for the channels that had no signal other people in my area seem to have the very same problem on the very same channels.
    Sky did not want to know they told my I must have a fault with my LNB but I got a new one fitted I paid for two call outs.
    I did not pay for a 3rd instead I gave NTL a call and I have not had a problem since.
    Ok I get a few less channels but to make up for it I get digital UTV and Channel 4 plus all the extra BBC channels in the epg.
    I have read horror stories about NTL but I have had no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

One of the reasons I left NTL for Sky 18 months ago was their customer service: it is woeful. In fact to call it customer service is a misnomer.

As much as I swore blind I'd never have anything more to do with them though I find myself increasingly running out of patience with the lack of Channel 4 and ITV on Sky. I've missed those 2 channels more than I thought I would. Talking to friends it is THE reason why they would never get Sky. I really thought that 18 months on I'd have these channels by now. But really at this point we are no neaer getting them.

And I have to admit having the BBC's on the EPG would be a handy bonus also.

99% of the so-called 'extra' channels that Sky has are diabolical.

The only thing that's stopped me dropping Sky for NTL is the spectre of that customer service!!!

no, i'm not taking the piss - and please mind your language :cool: :cool: :D

When ntl say they will call, they do and when there's a problem they try & help me (unfortunately you could be waiting for 2 or more hours on the phone to get through)

It's a pitty their service is such crap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

I got rid of NTL because I was fed up with the constant glitches in the digital signal, poor quality analogue picture on some channels, waiting a minimum of 30 mins on the CS line and repeated failure to meet appointments.

I miss C4 and ITV, I hate not having BBC3 and BBC4 on the EPG. A mirror sub is worth the €15 I pay Sky.

I would rather give up watching television than have anything to do with NTL.

Advertisement