Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changed to Raw :-)

• 09-09-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

FINALLY Lexi got her first raw meal this morning. She got an oyster leg and some veg (cooked spud, carrot&broccoli). This evening she is getting a chick drumstick and veg. In a week or so I will introduce some fish and then some liver or kidney. Don't want to go too varied yet. Fingers crossed it works for her.

Thanks to tk123 & dogsfirst for the info and help.

Edit: it cost €5 for 8days worth of meat :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

haha well done!! :p I'm doing up my veg for the month atm - I'll post up some pics of the "burgers" when I portion them out! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Haha do! I done the veg only enough for 9 days while I was waiting for my breakfast to cook this morning so really isn't too much hassle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oooh, well done Tillygirl, it does take a little bit of extra work but it feels nice knowing exactly what's going into your dog.
    I know my own crew here took a while to get into eating their meat raw (I know... it seems so weird, you'd think they'd dive in!), so at first I very lightly cooked the meat, and gradually eased them towards raw.
    I think this diet is great for dogs generally, but for me, it really comes into its own when the dog gets older. I think dogs fed dry food start to crock up earlier than fresh fed dogs. I think commercial foods give their liver and kidneys too much work to do over their lifetime, resulting in problems with these major organs earlier than you'd expect.
    Not only that, but the fresh diet, especially when you add fish, has been proven to prevent and reverse mental ageing/dementia in older dogs.
    Happy days!
    Good luck with it, keep us posted how you get on!:)

Here's our veg :D I freeze them in sheets like that first then divide the lot into a couple of freezer bags - the more space in the freeze the bigger the bags lol. I was very pleased with myself when I realized a portion was the same size as the sections in the muffin tray! ;)

220097.jpg

220098.jpg

LOL, stick a couple of Bundies around them with a squirt of tomato ketchup, and you could open up a stall :D

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    LOL, stick a couple of Bundies around them with a squirt of tomato ketchup, and you could open up a stall :D

I'll give pet expo a call tomorrow and see if they have any left! :p:p

Oooh, well done Tillygirl, it does take a little bit of extra work but it feels nice knowing exactly what's going into your dog.

It really does, I was quite proud of myself this morning feeding her the 4 ingredients! There's no problem with her eating, she will literally eat anything. It looks like such a tiny amount of food though, did ye think that when ye changed?

I was supplementing her dry food with cooked spud and white fish and that had to be done every three days for the last few months because I was using frozen fish and didn't like re-freezing so this is nothing!

Good plan TK, my little balls of veg arent as professional looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Do ye get the recipes off dogsfirst or make them yourselves? If so please share the recipes, they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Your veg burgers look good TK. Still haven't had the time to take the plunge here yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

TillyGirl wrote: »
    It looks like such a tiny amount of food though, did ye think that when ye changed?

I thought the exact same TillyGirl when I switched over but I guess when they are getting the nutrients they need that is all that matters. To put it not so politely we give our guy an extra chicken thigh with breakfast one morning as we left two out my mistake. He also had some left over meat from the sausages we had from dinner the day before, so all in all it almost doubled his portion. It turned out he pooped 5 times that day instead of his normal 2 with all the extra food! Lesson learned, we stick to the portions now and he gets treats with training and a pigs ear on either a Friday or Saturday night as a super treat.

I have been following the recipes at a link Dogs First provided as well and we just had our guy at the groomer for the first time since we switched him off dry food and she was singing his praises for the condition of his coat! She said it was so healthy and shiny and I explained the change in diet which she then attributed the healthy coat to.

I still am working on switching entirely to raw, he still turns his nose up at the odd raw meat. Raw chicken and bacon he loves but raw liver and mince beef not so much so I boil them for 3-4 minutes and then I boil his rice in that water to make sure he gets all the goodness of it.

I am managing to feed him on about 5 euro a week - I got chatty with the butcher in my local area and I now get all our meat there, including the dogs, he then throws in a huge bag of scraps every time, so I spend the 5euro on chicken, mince, liver or pork and then mix them up with the scraps, add in the veg and rice, freeze them and then take them out to defrost every morning as needed - Frodo loves it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Anyone else's dog not react well to RAW at the start? I gave mine one chicken wing yesterday for the first time and lets just say things weren't 100% at both ends today. I'm reluctant to try again to be honest based on todays...eh.. results :(

littlebug wrote: »
    Anyone else's dog not react well to RAW at the start? I gave mine one chicken wing yesterday for the first time and lets just say things weren't 100% at both ends today. I'm reluctant to try again to be honest based on todays...eh.. results :(

It can happen at first like a detox but we had no problems. You could maybe try some chicken or turkey mince with rice or potato - keep it simple and easy to digest at first?

I've had a couple of reactions like this. There's a chance she's allergic/intolerant of chicken, though you can test this by simply giving her some raw chicken meat.
    But it's quite possibly the bone... Could be too much too soon for her. The couple of dogs of mine that puked up following their first bone, both GSDs, were then given just the wing tips, or the cartilage-y bit of the breastbone (that's the scientific name for it ;-) ), just to get them used to it all. No problems now, entire chicken carcasses are devoured with gusto!
    You could also try feeding her some Naturediet, or meat that's been minced with bone in it, to gradually get her system on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

She's fine with cooked chicken so maybe it is the bone. I'll wait a few days and maybe try just wing tips and see how that goes.

tk123 your vege burgers look great. I can't see myself going to that much effort :o

She's fine with cooked chicken so maybe it is the bone. I'll wait a few days and maybe try just wing tips and see how that goes.

tk123 your vege burgers look great. I can't see myself going to that much effort :o

It's easy - throw it all thru the mincer, mix in salmon oil, portion it out with a measuring spoon and freeze. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

but for me, it really comes into its own when the dog gets older. I think dogs fed dry food start to crock up earlier than fresh fed dogs. I think commercial foods give their liver and kidneys too much work to do over their lifetime, resulting in problems with these major organs earlier than you'd expect.

I totally agree with this. I have been raw feeding for 4 years now and my 14 year old pain-in-the-rear-escape-artist-dog has baffled vets with her blood test results, they just can't believe that her results are all well within normal ranges. He just kept shaking his head and saying it was astonishing that none of them reflected her age.

Added to that the damn dog still has the energy and muscle tone to run for miles a day, normally those miles are when she ditches me with a big doggy grin and middle finger held firmly in the air! Only difference in the last year is that she doesn't like to come biking with us, and refuses to walk early in the morning now. Other than that will happily come jogging with us, any number of walks, climb anything and occasionally comes agility training (won't do the weaves anymore though). I firmly believe she wouldnt be able for all this and be this well if she was on commercial food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The veggie patties look brillo! What veggies do you put in them? That could work beautifully for my dog as I like to give her a little bit of veg every day - mostly green veg.

Totally agree that the benefits of feeding a raw or home-prepared diet come into their own as you dog enters old age. :)

My lady can only have beef rarely as it makes her mildly itchy. Apparently that's not too uncommon. I empathise because too many tomatoes give me hives :D

boomerang wrote: »
    The veggie patties look brillo! What veggies do you put in them? That could work beautifully for my dog as I like to give her a little bit of veg every day - mostly green veg.

Green beans, carrots, apples, potato and salmon oil. (I was using Lupoderm oil from Zooplus but decided to try salmon oil for a change).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Has anyone tried this yet?

http://www.petbliss.ie/acatalog/gRaw_Fresh_Meat_Dog_Food.html

I just ordered a box. :) I usually use Prize Choice for my dogs' evening feed (chicken legs for brekkie) and this is a tad more expensive, but I like that it has liver and kidneys already mixed in so I won't have to weigh everything separately. The packaging sounds like it won't take up much space in the freezer too. (I'm getting a small chest freezer soon though as I have NO space in the freezer for my own food! :mad: :) )

I just ordered a box. :) I usually use Prize Choice for my dogs' evening feed (chicken legs for brekkie) and this is a tad more expensive, but I like that it has liver and kidneys already mixed in so I won't have to weigh everything separately. The packaging sounds like it won't take up much space in the freezer too. (I'm getting a small chest freezer soon though as I have NO space in the freezer for my own food! :mad: :) )

Check out the pet expo thread - they were giving samples and a few people have ordered it so might be able to give a review. ;)

• Advertisement

I ordered a 12kg box of the beefy chickeny food, and a 12kg box of the fish last Thursday, hoping it'll arrive tomorrow! That's a month's worth of food for the 60kg of canine flesh living here, to be stored in the dog freezer, because there's a dog freezer and a human freezer here, very handy!
    I was also using Prize Choice, but I have to go to a bit of trouble to get it, and I'm a little worried about where the meat in it actually comes from, geographically, and therefore ethically.
    As you say, the fact that the offal is already included is great, but I also like that there's veg and herbs in it too, so although a wee bit more expensive than buying the ingredients individually, it'll presumably save time prepping the veg.
    But, but, but, it could spell the end of tk's veggie burgers :-o

NEVER!! :D God maybe I should just set up shop lol 'TK's Best'- it'd save me a lot of work-related stress! :p:pac:

I ordered a 12kg box of the beefy chickeny food, and a 12kg box of the fish last Thursday, hoping it'll arrive tomorrow! That's a month's worth of food for the 60kg of canine flesh living here, to be stored in the dog freezer, because there's a dog freezer and a human freezer here, very handy!
    I was also using Prize Choice, but I have to go to a bit of trouble to get it, and I'm a little worried about where the meat in it actually comes from, geographically, and therefore ethically.
    As you say, the fact that the offal is already included is great, but I also like that there's veg and herbs in it too, so although a wee bit more expensive than buying the ingredients individually, it'll presumably save time prepping the veg.

Yep, I love the fact that it's all Irish sourced. The Prize Choice packets are rather vague on that. I ordered the chicken/beef box but I'd love to know how you get on with the fish one. My two aren't keen on raw oily fish and I'm not sure if it's a texture or flavour thing. They'll eat the prize choice minced white fish and cooked canned sardines/mackerel, but they're reluctant to eat raw herring or mackerel. I want to vary their diet as much as possible though.

Dinner time is going to be so much simpler from now on! No more chopping offal or steaming veggies :D

Is it ok to feed tinned sardines with raw? Do any of ye notice your dogs don't drink much water on the raw diet? Lexi literally doesn't drink water now at all. Even after walks.

My dogs don't drink much on raw either. When I first noticed I panicked before remembering that fresh food has such a high moisture content. They literally drank their bowls dry several times a day when they were on dry food. Now the only time the have a great big drink is after they've been chewing on something like a cows ear.

I feed tinned sardines a couple of times a week and it's fine, I also give them an egg each a couple of times a week (shell included) and a dollop of natural probiotic yogurt occasionally too. :)

Ya I figured it was because of the water in fresh meat but haven't seen her drink in weeks. She seems fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Can someone tell me how to calculate how much I feed on a raw diet.

Whats the formula for working out amount of grams needed.

Thanks
    Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

approx 2.5% of preferred weight, if your dog needs to put on weight add a bit, if a weight loss is desired feed a bit less , after a while you will know by looking at the dog how much to feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Totally agree about the water. My fellow used to guzzle water down, now he doesn't drink a quater of what he did on dry food. His poo though, that was a revelation, my god he used to poo so much and such volume, now he poos small hard nuggets and maybe once a day. Another thing I notice is that his breath doesn't smell and he doen't fart ( I know this post seems really scatological, forgive me).
    The only downside- for me- is handling offal. I mixed mince and lamb liver and blood into his bowl last week, with an egg on top and smooshed it all together. Gross. He was watching me, drooling. And that's another thing, he is SO into his food now, where as before I was constantly trying to think of things to mix into his dry food to get him to eat it, now he wolfs everything down and best of all he doesn't scrounge when we're eating any more, so I think he's feeling quite satisfied.
    Tillygirl, I find him mackeral and/or sardines 3 times a week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I feed my two working springer spaniels the sarf diet (species appropriate raw food). I never feed my dogs any veg at all and rely completely on raw meats. 75% of my dogs diet consists of pure green raw tripe. Nothing is better for dogs than than real unwashed or tampered with tripe and my god to the dogs mow it down. The only other meats i give them is raw chicken carcasses, minced meat, rabbit carcasses, any raw fish and fleshy bones. I give them an egg up and down, the odd drop of olive oil and the odd drop of apple cider vinegar also. My dogs are shining and conditioned perfectly.

From what research i did into it i dont bother with veg, my thinking and the thinking of the people behind the sarf diet is of course you dont see wolves or wild dogs eating veg in the wild so why give it to them.

Advertisement