Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 drik

Hi all

I've only very recently started looking into getting a stove.

We currently have an open fire with a back boiler.

We are hoping to get an insert stove that would heat about ten rads.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction make and model wise.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

drik wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Stratford EB12i good reports about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Where can I get folded mild steel flues?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 drik

Roughly what size one would I need to heat our sitting room (12ftx12ft) and 10/12 rads? Would I need a big 30kw one or would that be overkill?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is it possible to recommend a stove to heat a sitting room roughly 12 feet by 15 feet? It has two outside walls and as such is usually quite cold compared to the rest of the house. The stove wouldnt need to be connected to the heating system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

drik wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks in advance.

Drik we have a Yola inset in since last winter. We are really pleased with it. We had open fire with back boiler like you. Our room is 16' x 12' with a large double rad in that room also which is needed. We then have 5 other large single rads and another large double off it and it heats them all up super. What size is your room and rads? The stove wont throw a lot of heat out on its own but super for rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rehab1000

What did you end up buying?
    Just bought a boru with back boiler. We had a 300 esse and it controlled and burnt really well. Can't say the same for the boru.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mrsog

We are looking to get a multifuel boiler stove (18kw) . Was looking at the Boru carrig double sided stove, has anyone any experience of this stove , or a recommendation for an alternative stove? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Mrsog wrote: »
    We are looking to get a multifuel boiler stove (18kw) . Was looking at the Boru carrig double sided stove, has anyone any experience of this stove , or a recommendation for an alternative stove? Thanks

Have a family member very happy with a c 22kw Yola. Worth a look at.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mrsog

Wearb wrote: »
    Have a family member very happy with a c 22kw Yola. Worth a look at.

Will have a look at that one , thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Where can I get folded mild steel flues?

Try here

http://www.miflues.ie/domestic.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Selecting a stove.
    Hello Stove fan.
    Great article on stoves. I am in the process of buying a Henley cast iron ( Achill ) inset stove 6.6kw. I have a room 15ft long 12ft wide 8ft ceiling. I made up the room heat at 2.6kw approx. Now this does not take into consideration 1 north facing wall 12ft x 8ft with an 8ft x 5ft window and a north west facing wall 15ft x 8ft ceiling. Would in your consideration this stove be able to give me proper room heat. Sorry forgot to mention room heater only.
    The break down is stove, 6" flexible flue and fittings and insulated with vermaculite between flexible and 8" std flue already in chimney.
    I have the regulation with all ref combustable materials, so I am ok there (fireplace etc)
    Thank you
    North West

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I have no connection with this company other than a family member has a 25kw one and is happy with it.
    The one below seems to have an external air option. They have others with external air options also. Check out the site and give them a call to see if it suits your situation.

http://yolastoves.wordpress.com/yola-tapered-back/

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fantazmic

Looking for advice. Getting a stoves in. Currently have open fire with no back boiler. Have gas to heat radiators at present. Need to decide to go with plumber who plans to use heat genie to connect the stove to heat radiators /water or the plumber who wants to use gravity system. House is large detached with about 13 radiators. Any one used the new heat genie system??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If you put a stove in a chimney, what is the noise and draught like on a windy night like last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

kennyb3 wrote: »
    If you put a stove in a chimney, what is the noise and draught like on a windy night like last night?

I also want to know!! Insert stove in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I've 2 insert stoves - no noise at all from the vitae. small bit from the henley achill but nothing compared to an open fire and i havnt had the henley lit on a windy night

The Fire does burn a bit quicker when it's windy as there is more of a draw. .. No noticeable draught

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Got an Esse 401 and it's little to none.

If your vents are throttled then you're going to hear the resistance but generally speaking it's far from intolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks, my chimney is driving me nuts - but a chimney baloon in it but it eventually got sucked up and out and gone by these crazy winds.

Want a stove anyway, so this was just another aspect of it - now want one more!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thanks, my chimney is driving me nuts - but a chimney baloon in it but it eventually got sucked up and out and gone by these crazy winds.

Just make sure you get a sweep out to make sure it's actually cleared the flue before putting a stove in :eek:

Last thing you want are fumes pouring back into your sitting room and killing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

I have two stoves back to back on the same breast, a Stanley oisin and an inset wood burner. I never have a problem with the Stanley because it can be closed down as needed in high winds. The wood burner on the other hand is noisy in high winds. The manufacturer (Meg) has sent a kit to reduce the air wash vent but I haven't had a chance to fit it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

DenisCork wrote: »
    I have two stoves back to back on the same breast, a Stanley oisin and an inset wood burner. I never have a problem with the Stanley because it can be closed down as needed in high winds. The wood burner on the other hand is noisy in high winds. The manufacturer (Meg) has sent a kit to reduce the air wash vent but I haven't had a chance to fit it yet.

how do you find the Oisin, i am thinking of investing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

irishgeo wrote: »
    how do you find the Oisin, i am thinking of investing.

The Oisin is a great stove. We have one in the sitting room amd one in the kitchen cum living room and never had a problem with either. Very easy to control the air to the stove and great heat output. The one in the kitchen has been lighting non stop for the last month and really cuts down on the amount of heating we use as its a very big room.

dwiseman wrote: »
    The Oisin is a great stove. We have one in the sitting room amd one in the kitchen cum living room and never had a problem with either. Very easy to control the air to the stove and great heat output. The one in the kitchen has been lighting non stop for the last month and really cuts down on the amount of heating we use as its a very big room.

one more question, what do you burn in it?

wood and what type?
    coal and what type?
    peat what type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

irishgeo wrote: »
    one more question, what do you burn in it?

wood and what type?
    coal and what type?
    peat what type?

We burn seasoned hard wood. Found a guy on done deal who delivers a builders bag (the one tonne bag that normal carries sand or stone) full of seasoned wood, cut to size for €70. On his next delivery he takes the empty bag from the first delivery away, pm me if you want his details, although he is based in cork so do not know if that will be of any use to you.

Once the fire gets going I lash on some coal on top and then turn the air control right down and the fire will burn for hours at around 300 degrees without needing topping up for ages. I do this at 8am and its still going when I come in at half 5, only just, but enough to easily get it going again. We use the premium stove coal, at least that's whats printed on the bags! Its smokeless so far better for your flue and much less coal dust to deal with.

We dont burn much turf but when we do its stuff I get from a friend in Clare who has a bog, Just ensure that its sufficiently dry.

dwiseman wrote: »
    We burn seasoned hard wood. Found a guy on done deal who delivers a builders bag (the one tonne bag that normal carries sand or stone) full of seasoned wood, cut to size for €70. On his next delivery he takes the empty bag from the first delivery away, pm me if you want his details, although he is based in cork so do not know if that will be of any use to you.

Once the fire gets going I lash on some coal on top and then turn the air control right down and the fire will burn for hours at around 300 degrees without needing topping up for ages. I do this at 8am and its still going when I come in at half 5, only just, but enough to easily get it going again. We use the premium stove coal, at least that's whats printed on the bags! Its smokeless so far better for your flue and much less coal dust to deal with.

We dont burn much turf but when we do its stuff I get from a friend in Clare who has a bog, Just ensure that its sufficiently dry.

Thanks for the advice. In mayo so the Cork contact is not much use. I

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

If someone writes me a thread on the selection of stoves i will sticky it.

Make it with good detail and it will save questions.
    I have a stanley lismore boiler stove installed and not finding it effective. I burn coal and wood but the stove has a mechanism whereby it shuts itself down when the water has reached the required temp.but it closes down before the rads are hot enough and it's not throwing out heat to the room. I was told by stanley to turn down thermostat on pump...this helped a bit but not really doing what I expected....8 rads, double room.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

If a stove requires a 150mm flue diameter does that refer to the internal diameter? Therfore would a twin walled flue have a greater external diameter to allow for the insulation? Or is the external diameter still 150mm and the intenal reduced?

I am asking because I have read that I need 50mm from the twin walled flue to any combustable surface (roof and ceiling).

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

improv_12 wrote: »
    If a stove requires a 150mm flue diameter does that refer to the internal diameter? Therfore would a twin walled flue have a greater external diameter to allow for the insulation? Or is the external diameter still 150mm and the intenal reduced?

I am asking because I have read that I need 50mm from the twin walled flue to any combustable surface (roof and ceiling).

:confused:

150mm would be the internal
    Diameter.150mm Twin wall flue has an external diameter of around 200-250mm
    And an note of distance from combustibles is from the external side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Roobie.G thanks for that :)

Advertisement