Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

At the stage of picking out a boiler stove for a heating upgrade, currently have oil fired c heating with an open fireplace no back boiler, looking to get an inset stove linked to heating system and holding on to the existing oil fired.

sitting room size is 3.5 x 2.8 x 2.2 metres
    Rad sizes are in cm

50x145 x 2 singles
    50x165 double
    50x155 single
    50x130 single
    50x120 single
    50x110 single
    50x65 double
    50x55 single
    50x45 double

I prefer the Stratford EB12iHe but I'm finding it difficult to actually purchase one in the Limerick area, I have been offered the YOLA 17I at €1,475 but not as aesthetically pleasing as the Stratford imho! The ESSE 350gs is also an alternative, any one have any opinions on these? and also latest prices I should be expecting to pay for the stove?

thanks in advance!

Hi - we got the stratford EB12 earlier this summer and so far are delighted with it. It is providing great heat to the radiators and is very fuel efficient.

We bought from Alan Gordon in Kilkerrin, Co. Galway so he might be an option for you. They delivered to us in Sligo. Will PM you will details

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingdom fan

HI

I went to Gordons last week to look at the AAROW EB16HE, he has a big selection of stoves and I found him straight to talk to,
    I liked the look of it EB 16 adn EB 20., the stats seem very good, I'll decide over the weekend whether to go for the Inis Meain or the EB 16 at the weekend. I feel the EB 20 is a little too big for my room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Hi all.Have been following this thread and in particular the advice of stov fan which has been invaluable and honest.Sad to hear that you are leaving our shores stove fan. I had hoped that you were going to set up in some consultancy capacity, I for one would have been a willing paying customer.
    I have been looking at the firebird 16 kw insert stove but cannot find any reviews online.I have fourteen rads half of them doubles ,house 2005 well insulated , i plan on only using about ten rads in total and the 3 kw to the room will be sufficent.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or similar stoves they would recommend.Thanks.

Can't help with any reviews but thank you for your comments. I would of liked to stay here but there is difficulty in finding full time work and so I applied for Jobseekers Allowance and got fed up of phoning up the appeals place in Dublin over 5 months to just get refused at the end of it!! So I have no choice but to return to the UK.

Stove Fan:)

At the stage of picking out a boiler stove for a heating upgrade, currently have oil fired c heating with an open fireplace no back boiler, looking to get an inset stove linked to heating system and holding on to the existing oil fired.

sitting room size is 3.5 x 2.8 x 2.2 metres
    Rad sizes are in cm

50x145 x 2 singles
    50x165 double
    50x155 single
    50x130 single
    50x120 single
    50x110 single
    50x65 double
    50x55 single
    50x45 double

I prefer the Stratford EB12iHe but I'm finding it difficult to actually purchase one in the Limerick area, I have been offered the YOLA 17I at €1,475 but not as aesthetically pleasing as the Stratford imho! The ESSE 350gs is also an alternative, any one have any opinions on these? and also latest prices I should be expecting to pay for the stove?

thanks in advance!

Hi, your rads and hot water require a stove with a 12kw rated backboiler. Your room unfortunately only requires around 1.5kw to heat it.
    You need to find an inset stove with a low room heat output.

The Esse 350GS may well be your best option as the room heat is 3.75KW so still high but should be ok with the door open to other room(s)
    Never heard of the YOLA!!
    I would either go for the esse but if you have double doors to other rooms or your insulation is poor the Aarrow EB12 Inset. The inset produces 5kw to room and a 12kw boiler.

Hi all,
    Recently bough a mobile home while rebuilding. Its Gas everything in it. In the past two weeks we have gone through a large gas drum (not sure of size, but the big ones). We haven't been there during the day as we work and had heating on few hours in evening but not constant on. Haven’t used the cooker more than twice so seems like a lot of gas used.

We are not thinking maybe we should install a small stove. would anyone have experience of doing this, any recommendations for stove? any idea of cost? mobile is 39* 12. Advice really appreciated and needed.

Hi, installing a stove in a mobile home isn't a straightforward job as a hearth has to be installed, fireproof any walls with vermiculite board and buy some lengths of twinwall insulated flue to go through the roof etc.

What I would advice is to buy a stove that you will then install in your renovated house:D Something like the stanley oisin.

To be honest I see it as a 1,500 euro job and that is only a guestimate. I would say get some quotes is really the only way to see:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

Hi Stove fan, yes I have double doors with an open plan kitchen-dining room leading onto sun-room so the Stratford is preferred.
    The Yola is Irish made in Wexford.
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sryanmurph

hi everyone,

has anyone heard of Flam stoves or have any opinions on them? we are currently looking at a multifuel version but cannot find much information/reviews on it so I am reluctant to part with the money until i have some positive feedback. I would appreciate your thoughts as its getting cold in here!!!!

sryanmurph wrote: »
    hi everyone,

has anyone heard of Flam stoves or have any opinions on them? we are currently looking at a multifuel version but cannot find much information/reviews on it so I am reluctant to part with the money until i have some positive feedback. I would appreciate your thoughts as its getting cold in here!!!!

Hi I had never heard of them but not surprising as they are based in Belgium and sold In Belgium, Germany and France, Netherlands etc and extending more into the EU.

This is what I found. Company profile.
    http://www.linkedin.com/company/flam

Website.
    http://www.flam.be/en/Home
    http://www.flam.be/EN/Products/Inset_appliances/Wood__Coal__Bio/1/

They look expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skiman

Hi,

Does anyone have or know of the Hamco Ree Petit 4.5kw stove? My room is 12ft x 14ft with the standard 8ft height. Triple glazed windows, semi solid wood floors with double insulation. Upstairs above the room there is laminate floors with sound proofing and insulation. Will the room be toasty?

skiman wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have or know of the Hamco Ree Petit 4.5kw stove? My room is 12ft x 14ft with the standard 8ft height. Triple glazed windows, semi solid wood floors with double insulation. Upstairs above the room there is laminate floors with sound proofing and insulation. Will the room be toasty?

Can't help with the stove, but your room should definately be toasty:D

The stove output calculators say 2.7kw would heat the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 redskip

Hi folks,
    First post. I've had a read through this thread and found it very useful. I'm looking for some feedback advice on selection and installation of a stove for a new build that is yet to start. We have a kitchen / dining room (15ft by 26ft approx) adjacent to a sitting room (20ft by 15ft approx). We are looking to install a double sided stove between the two rooms. See attached image for layout and dimensions. The sitting room has a vaulted ceiling circa 15ft.

The house will be well insulated, at a level equivalent to what an A2 rated house would require albeit I expect our airtightness levels to be in the 3 to 4 range rather than 2 as required for an A2/A3 house.

Our requirements: double sided inset stove, multifuel, external air supply (as installing a heat recovery unit).

My questions:
    1. When is a twin wall flue run required and when can you use the standard clay pipe / lining plus reducer down to the stove. Am I correct in saying that the twin wall run is only required when passing through walls or floors?
    2. How to select the correct rating when considering the two rooms - is it as straightforward as the LxHxWx5 rule of thumb for one room? Especially important given the vaulted ceiling in the sitting room.
    3. Should I be looking out for anything in particular regarding the make up of the stove, i.e. material?
    4. Any recommendations? There are not too many options, given our requirements. A trawl of the web and cold calls to suppliers has thrown up the following: the Boru 600i and 900i, Zuzia 16kW, Amelia 25kW, and Oliwia 18kW stoves, Barbas Unilux Cuatro Tunnel (although that one is only available in 7kW max). None are reviewed on the whatstove.co.uk website.

Any advice would be appreciated, I've received one quote so far for supply and fit (but for a 10kW stove that is woodburning only) and have had a few discussions with salespersons but am just looking for some independent advice. I've a very limited knowledge on stoves!

Thanks

redskip wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    First post. I've had a read through this thread and found it very useful. I'm looking for some feedback advice on selection and installation of a stove for a new build that is yet to start. We have a kitchen / dining room (15ft by 26ft approx) adjacent to a sitting room (20ft by 15ft approx). We are looking to install a double sided stove between the two rooms. See attached image for layout and dimensions. The sitting room has a vaulted ceiling circa 15ft.

The house will be well insulated, at a level equivalent to what an A2 rated house would require albeit I expect our airtightness levels to be in the 3 to 4 range rather than 2 as required for an A2/A3 house.

Our requirements: double sided inset stove, multifuel, external air supply (as installing a heat recovery unit).

My questions:
    1. When is a twin wall flue run required and when can you use the standard clay pipe / lining plus reducer down to the stove. Am I correct in saying that the twin wall run is only required when passing through walls or floors?
    2. How to select the correct rating when considering the two rooms - is it as straightforward as the LxHxWx5 rule of thumb for one room? Especially important given the vaulted ceiling in the sitting room.
    3. Should I be looking out for anything in particular regarding the make up of the stove, i.e. material?
    4. Any recommendations? There are not too many options, given our requirements. A trawl of the web and cold calls to suppliers has thrown up the following: the Boru 600i and 900i, Zuzia 16kW, Amelia 25kW, and Oliwia 18kW stoves, Barbas Unilux Cuatro Tunnel (although that one is only available in 7kW max). None are reviewed on the whatstove.co.uk website.

Any advice would be appreciated, I've received one quote so far for supply and fit (but for a 10kW stove that is woodburning only) and have had a few discussions with salespersons but am just looking for some independent advice. I've a very limited knowledge on stoves!

Thanks

A twinwall insulated flue is used where there is no chimney in the house already, ie masonry chimney.
    If no chimney the twinwall should start from 1metre to 1.5metres above the stove and run the entire height of the chimney to outside.

If your house has a block/masonry chimney built with an 8inch wide clay lined flue, you could use an adapter to join the insert stove flue outlet to the clay lined adapter.
    My advice would be to line the chimney with a stainless steel flexible liner of 904 grade for multifuel use. Make sure the liner is the recommended size for the proposed inset stove.

There are many online stove output calculators. Just do a google search:)
    https://www.google.ie/search?source=ig&rlz=1G1TSEH_ENIE479&q=stove+output+calculator&oq=stove+output&gs_l=igoogle.1.0.0l2j0i30l5j0i5j0i5i30l2.3898.8458.0.10038.12.11.0.1.1.0.212.1656.0j6j3.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.LrjajLOya3E
    On one I used it recommended a stove with an output of 11kw in total for the two rooms. For your vaulted room I based the ceiling height as an average of 10 feet overall.
    I think you will find most inset stoves are made in steel with cast door and fitting, this is fine.
    I havent installed any double sided insert stoves or know of any I would recommend.

Look for stoves built to BSEN13240 Or Amd2 2002 or conforms to CE markings. Look at stove spares prices too. Ie door glass, grate, firebrick linings etc.
    Look for stoves that feature, riddling grate, Tertiary air, Secondary burn etc. You are very wise to get one with an external air supply option.
    Try to buy a named, well known brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 redskip

Stovefan,
    Thanks for the the feedback, especially on the twin wall flue run. Will go away and research it further.
    Agreed on the well known brand, cheapest is not necessarily best!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Katie OS

Hi Stovefan. Have seen a Warmking boiler stove 14kw that I like the look of. It is a chinese import but then so are so many stoves on the market. You recommended a 12kw so I presume I will be doing ok with a 14kw. It has external riddling and all the other requirements like clean burn glass etc.
    Do you think we would be ok with this one? Or for that matter anyone out there that has one of these can you please let me know if you are finding it ok?
    Many thanks
    KatieOS:eek:

Katie OS wrote: »
    Hi Stovefan. Have seen a Warmking boiler stove 14kw that I like the look of. It is a chinese import but then so are so many stoves on the market. You recommended a 12kw so I presume I will be doing ok with a 14kw. It has external riddling and all the other requirements like clean burn glass etc.
    Do you think we would be ok with this one? Or for that matter anyone out there that has one of these can you please let me know if you are finding it ok?
    Many thanks
    KatieOS:eek:

Never heard of warmking stoves, obviously made in China. Probably ok for a few years but do check replacement parts cost/availability and how long the quarantee is.
    I haven't looked back but I take it I adviced a boiler stove with a 12kw backboiler, if this is the case then the extra powerful boiler at 14kw is fine. Do check though that the stoves output to room heat of the stove isn't higher than what I adviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

Hi, This is my fireplace, sorry if the picture is not right.
    222580.JPG
    It measures 4' 5'' by 18'' deep.I would like a free standing stove with back boiler to heat 2 rads.Would I have to raise/remove the flu gatherer? the following picture by Rob_talisman is similar to what I would like. https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/46151/222581.JPG
    Thanks for reading.

To have a freestanding stove in the fireplace like in the photo, you would have to have the marble suffound and fireback removed/knocked out. Depending on the age of the house the flue gatherer/support would need to be removed and a new one installed higher. This isn't a simple job as the flue gather supports the clay flue liners and the dry sand/cement backfill.

If the house is oldish it wouldn't have a flue gatherer, Have a look up the chimney, if you see a flatish base with a circular exit then it has one, if not and you just see brick/stone all the way up it's a more simple job to enlarge the fireplace.

It might be a better/cheaper option to go for an inset stove?

Stove Fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi, your room requires a stove output of 4kw. If you want contempoary insert how about a contura I4? Very nicely made and after sales excellent.
    http://www.contura.eu/English/Stoves/Inserts/Insert-Contura-i4-Classic/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYBcT8dP_c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    http://www.esse.com/multifuel-stoves/350se/
    Woodwarm fireview4kw.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwinsetfireview.ashx
    I myself would go for the Contura.

Apologies for the questions but I today seen an insert stove that looked good and apparently has good backup etc. It was the blacksmith Artisan insert enamel at around €800.
    http://www.blacksmithstoves.ie/product-artisan.html

Any opinons on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caitb

Thanks Stoveman for earlier reply. Is there any make you would recommend? The Stanley man didnt appear so I'm still in limbo re the make of stove I will go for. Someone recommended a DRU (I never heard of).So if you could maybe list a few of the good makes (parts easily bought etc)I'll start again.

TIA Cait

batman1 wrote: »
    Apologies for the questions but I today seen an insert stove that looked good and apparently has good backup etc. It was the blacksmith Artisan insert enamel at around €800.
    http://www.blacksmithstoves.ie/product-artisan.html

Any opinons on this one?

Hi, I have no experiance of blacksmith stoves.

How about an Aarrow ecoburn 5kw?
    http://www.aarrowfires.com/our-range-of-stoves/ecoburn-range/ecoburn-inset.html
    Or Aarrow signature inset.
    http://www.aarrowfires.com/our-range-of-stoves/signature-range/signature-inset.html

Aarrow are a reasonable brand and seem to work well.

• Advertisement

caitb wrote: »
    Thanks Stoveman for earlier reply. Is there any make you would recommend? The Stanley man didnt appear so I'm still in limbo re the make of stove I will go for. Someone recommended a DRU (I never heard of).So if you could maybe list a few of the good makes (parts easily bought etc)I'll start again.

TIA Cait

Hi, I noted the stanley lismore is a 12kw stove so a big heat output for a large room.

What is your budget for just the stove?
    What is your actual room size where the stove is going? Are there doors leading off which are left open? Do you want some of the heat to spread to other rooms by leaving the doors open?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caitb

Hi, I noted the stanley lismore is a 12kw stove so a big heat output for a large room.

What is your budget for just the stove?
    What is your actual room size where the stove is going? Are there doors leading off which are left open? Do you want some of the heat to spread to other rooms by leaving the doors open?

Our budget all in is c.€2000 (hopefully)
    The stove is mainly to heat the living room (17x18). The kitchen(24x12) and sunroom(16x16) are off this room and we'd hope the heat would kind of flow through. I'm really astray looking and pricing these.
    Thanks Cait

caitb wrote: »
    Our budget all in is c.€2000 (hopefully)
    The stove is mainly to heat the living room (17x18). The kitchen(24x12) and sunroom(16x16) are off this room and we'd hope the heat would kind of flow through. I'm really astray looking and pricing these.
    Thanks Cait

Your living room requires 5kw to heat this space. Your kitchen also requires 4.7kw to heat it too. The sunroom requires 4kw to heat it.

The total heat requirement of all 3 rooms is. 13.7kw.

If you went for a stove of this high heat your living room with the stove would be unbearably hot as to heat this room only requires a stove with a 5kw output.
    I personally would look for a stove with a max output of 8Kw. The extra 3kw would escape to the other room with the door open.

If you have double doors to the kitchen or open plan to the kitchen I would get a stove with a heat output of 10kw.

The woodwarm Enigma multifuel is in your budget. The stove is £900 in the Uk and available to buy at Cork stoves and fires, Cork.

If I was buying a stove this manufacturer would be my first choice. The enigma has a multiroll grate with two settings Ie grate position Flat for burning wood and the grate bars vertical for burning coal.
    The glass is double glazed like clearview stoves and it features a great airwash to keep the glass clean. Also riddling grate.

http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/wildwood-range1/enigma8kwfreestanding.ashx
    One burning here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glXbfrNESys

The charnwood island 2 is a superb stove but may be too pricy at £1,500. It depends on installation requirements.
    http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/island-ii.aspx
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=charnwood+island&oq=charnwood+island&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l2.529.7384.0.9352.16.12.0.4.4.0.609.2867.2j4j2j2j1j1.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.KxPKW0mceqw

The clearview vision 500 gets fab reviews although similar price to the Charnwood.
    http://www.clearviewstoves.com/vision500.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=clearview+vision+500&oq=clearview+vision&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0.2832.11540.0.13259.26.19.0.5.5.2.303.2490.0j11j2j1.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.9XkS5sg2k3I
    Clearview have a very good reputation for quality and function and retain their used prices very well.

I don't have any direct experiance with Stanley, Boru and Blacksmith so would only recommend stoves that I would be happy to buy and recommend.

Have a look at www.whatstove.co.uk for general reviews. Not all stove models are there as either new or no reviews yet.

At least if you see a stove you like you can then search for a price online.

There are many stoves out there but it's generally better to buy a stove thats dearer but better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arvydasx

Hi Stove fan, do u install fireplaces with hot air blowing system thru the ducting. And what do u thing about?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6nxx72Mis&feature=relmfu

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

We have a Hamco Glenmore stove fitted in our living room. Our house is 2 years old and this was the stove recommended by our plumber. Unfortunately he has since gone to Australia so we can't get him around to help.

the problem is- we do have a mighty fire down in stove for the entire heat but there is little or no heat in the rads- none at all in the ones upstairs. Also after having a fire going all evening there wouldn't be enough hot water for a bath.

Just wondering if anyone can help us with this problem. There is what looked like temperature gauges on the wall of the kitchen and one in our bedroom upstairs but we don't know what these are for either.

Any comments greatly appreciated

arvydasx wrote: »
    Hi Stove fan, do u install fireplaces with hot air blowing system thru the ducting. And what do u thing about?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6nxx72Mis&feature=relmfu[/QUOTE]

Hi, I'm not actually a stove installer but a great fan of stoves, hence my username:)
    The stove you linked to I don't know anything about them as it appears the fire is boxed in and the heat from the fire casing and flue pipe is then ducted to other rooms.

They do a similar system and is made by a French manufacturer. If you imagine a box within a smaller box, the space inbetween gets hot and a built in fan pushes the heat out to the ducts to the various rooms. Similar to this but some have four heating duct outlets. The outer outlets are the hot air outlet ducts and the inner one is the stoves flue exit.
    http://www.bricodepot.fr/toulon/node/479808

My Aunt had one but it didn't work very well, but it was an old stone house with minimal insulation.

budget1984 wrote: »
    We have a Hamco Glenmore stove fitted in our living room. Our house is 2 years old and this was the stove recommended by our plumber. Unfortunately he has since gone to Australia so we can't get him around to help.

the problem is- we do have a mighty fire down in stove for the entire heat but there is little or no heat in the rads- none at all in the ones upstairs. Also after having a fire going all evening there wouldn't be enough hot water for a bath.

Just wondering if anyone can help us with this problem. There is what looked like temperature gauges on the wall of the kitchen and one in our bedroom upstairs but we don't know what these are for either.

Any comments greatly appreciated

Hi, did the stove heat the rads well when it was installed 2 years ago?
    How many radiators are in the house?
    Are they mostly doubles or single rads?
    Is your central heating system zoned, ie upstairs/downstairs and hot water. You can tell this if there is room thermostats for upstairs and/or 3 different time/temp settings on a timer.

Does the rads get hotter the more you turn off? Is there any air in the system? Does the pump run continuously or controlled by a pipe thermostat?

Some pictures of the stoves plumbing and pump and hotpress would help:)
    Something certainly isnt correct. Is it linked to another boiler and does that heat the rads well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dmca

I'm Thinking of buying a stoves to fit in front of an existing open fire and wanted to get some advice regarding the size. The location of the stove is the living room (17X17feet) which calculates to 4.3kilowatts, but I would like to heat the kitchen also, by opening the double doors to distribute heat. The Kitchen measures 28x14 feet, which equates to 6.4 Kilowatts. I have been looking at 10-11 kilowatt stoves (the Toulon), and I appreciate that in order to get 11Kws out of a stove, it is a combination of feeding it fuel and controlling airflow.

Another reason I am looking at that particular 11kw stove is that it is the best look and fit for the hearth and doesn't cost much more than the 8-10 variety.
    Are there any reasons why I shouldn't get this stove?
    If I go for 10/11kw, and build a big fire will the living room be unbearably hot (given that doors will be open to distribute heat to rest of house)?
    Is there anything else I should consider?
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

Hi Stove Fan,

well we purchased a stove yesterday, The Stanley Lismore boiler model at a very good price. The other half did not like the look of the Stratford EB12HE, but loved the lismore. Better to keep her happy, and as a bonus we got the Lismore for €1350.
    Now the technical stuff, I have the option to 2 pumps, both Grundfos Alpha 2, A energy rating and super efficient, one with a flow rate of 2.7m3/hour and the other with 3m3/hour, I have a standard 2 storey house with 10 rads, the stove is 17kW, will the smaller pumps flow rate be sufficient?

thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

To have a freestanding stove in the fireplace like in the photo, you would have to have the marble suffound and fireback removed/knocked out. Depending on the age of the house the flue gatherer/support would need to be removed and a new one installed higher. This isn't a simple job as the flue gather supports the clay flue liners and the dry sand/cement backfill.

It might be a better/cheaper option to go for an inset stove?

Stove Fan.

Hi Stove Fan,
    I would appreciate your advice again... We have the exact same issue with our house - I got two different guys in to look at the fireplace (I want free standing stove recessed)

Man no. 1 said that it can be done with full day Kango hammer for €700.

Man no. 2 said that he wouldn't recommend doing it at all the gather is too low in our chimney - just put the stove on the hearth with flexi flue up chimney.

Just wondering if you think man no. 1 or man no. 2 is correct??

Advertisement