Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

07 caddy tdi going into limp mode

Options
  • 01-10-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi,
    I have a 07 caddy 1.9 tdi which is going into limp mode which I presume is a boost problem when I reset it by turning the key off and on it may drive fine for the day or just 5 mins but mostly goes into limp mode fairly quick.
    I suspect the boost control solenoid can anyone with experience of this problem steer me in the right direction please, engine management light is on and boost control is coming up as a fault when plugged in. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is it an overboost error code? Overboosting is usually caused by the variable vanes sticking in the turbo, usually only properly sorted by replacing the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The boost control solenoid would be one of the less likely causes IMO.

This is one of those situations where you are best off finding someone who knows their stuff and paying them to find the cause of the issue. This should be a very simple and quick diagnosis for someone with the correct knowledge and equipment.

Otherwise it is highly likely that you will end up spending money needlessly by replacing parts that aren't faulty in an effort to resolve the problem.

Eg a new boost solenoid will cost you more than an hour of diagnostic time and in my opinion is unlikely to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ds82

Not sure if it's an overboost error code it's a while since I plugged it in will plug it in tomorrow and post code. Maybe it is not the solenoid I'm not sure I don't want to replace to find it doesn't solve the issue. I put a vacuum pump on the actuator set to suck a while back and the arm did not move no matter how much suction I put on it?

Ds82 wrote: »
    I put a vacuum pump on the actuator set to suck a while back and the arm did not move no matter how much suction I put on it?

Why are we even discussing the solenoid then? If the actuator on the turbo can't be moved under vacuum then there is no point looking anywhere else until that had been sorted.

What kind of vacuum pump were you using?

Why are we even discussing the solenoid then? If the actuator on the turbo can't be moved under vacuum then there is no point looking anywhere else until that had been sorted.

What kind of vacuum pump were you using?

Yeah sorry about that forgot to mention it in first post. It's a vacuum pump i got a loan of off a friend of mine who is a mechanic proper tool for the job I think anyhow he wasn't sure if it was a suck or blow actuator

• Advertisement

Would it boost sometimes if acctuator was gone before limping?

The actuator works off vacuum so you set the pump to suck.

If the actuator definitely isn't moving then it's more than likely time to remove the turbo and get it sorted out.

Would it boost sometimes if acctuator was gone before limping?

Yes it will. The vanes are stuck in the maximum boost position, that's fine while driving around town etc. The problems start when you go out on the open road and the revs and boost pressure rise. The ecu tries to move the vanes to reduce potentially engine damaging boost, vanes don't respond, boost sensor in the manifold starts to feel the imminent danger and the ecu shuts down the whole shebang. The joys of vnt turbos...

Great thanks for help lads I think I'll pull the turbo out so and just get it done as I true it on suck and didn't move. You can't get just an acctuator ?

You can get an actuator on its own but it is highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with the actuator.

• Advertisement

You can get an actuator on its own but it is highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with the actuator.

Right I'll pull her out and get it done so thanks

Great thanks for help lads I think I'll pull the turbo out so and just get it done as I true it on suck and didn't move. You can't get just an acctuator ?

The actuator will be kaput when you strip the turbo. Don't get too excited though as its kaput from trying to move seized vanes. It could turn out to be an expensive repair on a 7 year old van, just be careful you don't spend more than what the van is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Right I'll pull her out and get it done so thanks

Any luck with the caddy?

nophd08 wrote: »
    Any luck with the caddy?

Not as yet only getting the time this sat to pull the turbo out sat going to clean the vanes and put a new actuator on and see what happens.

Not as yet only getting the time this sat to pull the turbo out sat going to clean the vanes and put a new actuator on and see what happens.

It'll run fine....until it goes bang. Cleaning vanes is a temporary fix at best.

Don't go near the actuator unless you verify that it is faulty. You can't just swap another one on and drive away. It needs to be set up properly or you will have problems with over or under boosting.

Got the van sorted took turbo out stripped cleaned veins thoroughly and fitted new actuator. Driving van for 3 weeks now management light went out and power is great.

Got the van sorted took turbo out stripped cleaned veins thoroughly and fitted new actuator. Driving van for 3 weeks now management light went out and power is great.

Put it on done deal before the big eruption. ...

jca wrote: »
    Put it on done deal before the big eruption. ...

There is no play in the turbo at all so can't see why it would blow. talked to lots of mechanics who have done this and had no issues after but time will tell.

Be great if it works out for you long term. I was going to get my Octavia done by my mechanic but he was very reluctant as he has never seen one last any length afterwards. The problem in my case is that I never should have gotten a diesel in the first place as my driving is totally unsuited to diesel ownership. Plus, the flywheel was starting to knock....

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Be great if it works out for you long term. I was going to get my Octavia done by my mechanic but he was very reluctant as he has never seen one last any length afterwards. The problem in my case is that I never should have gotten a diesel in the first place as my driving is totally unsuited to diesel ownership. Plus, the flywheel was starting to knock....

Always something with a diesel!

Advertisement