Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arrested with 3 year bench warrant

• 14-02-2014 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My cousin was arrested 3 years ago with 6,000 euros worth of canabis. He skipped the country for 3 years and recent returned but was arrested as bench warrant out for him.

He is now facing court in a few weeks time will he face a prison scentence? He has no other convictions and is off drugs and trying to get a job?

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

He may or may not, depending on previous convictions and other factors. His solicitor and if he has one his barrister (who will have all the facts) can best advise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

Hopefully he will go to the big house 6K is possession with intent to supply. he should pay for the misery he pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Jaffa007 wrote: »
    My cousin was arrested 3 years ago with 6,000 euros worth of canabis. He skipped the country for 3 years and recent returned but was arrested as bench warrant out for him.

He is now facing court in a few weeks time will he face a prison scentence? He has no other convictions and is off drugs and trying to get a job?

Any thoughts welcome.

Cousin....... ah come on now.... how was australia fella?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

spcw wrote: »
    Hopefully he will go to the big house 6K is possession with intent to supply. he should pay for the misery he pedals.

Misery?
    Chill out man, it was only cannabis dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Misery?

....with intent to supply. And then skipped it. Hopefully 6yrs. As for work, he'll have plenty of practice handstitching leather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

....with intent to supply. And then skipped it. Hopefully 6yrs. As for work, he'll have plenty of practice handstitching leather.

Drug Dealing is Drug Dealing its not a victimless crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

he will be grand if he lives in the south of the country, try and delay the sentence until next year and he will have a great little bit of R+R

http://www.theholyharp.com/construction-begins-on-new-5-star-luxury-prison-in-cork/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Misery?

Usual rubbish.

Skipped the country. Hopefully a good few months in custody on remand.
    Then maybe 2 years with time off for the period spent in custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Usual rubbish.

How much will that cost the taxpayer?
    A lot more than 6k.
    Hope he gets suspended op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hopefully he will go to the big house

Big house!
    Do you still wear spats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Usual rubbish.

My reply was in relation to the word "misery".
    Try reading next time before posting.

How much will that cost the taxpayer?
    A lot more than 6k.
    Hope he gets suspended op

The cost of prison far exceeds the street value of the drugs but that has nothing to do imprisonment. Imprisonment is meant to be a deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Are you actually serious!?

Anyway he is looking at Possession of controlled drugs for sale or supply with it at 6k.

A prison sentence is a possibility but it's up to the judge, really no way to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

It's weed dude not meth. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Might I remind yis all that this is a discussion about the situation the OP's cousin finds himself in, and not a debate about draconian drug laws. There's plenty of threads that just end up going round in circles over the current laws..

So, let's just give it a rest for now. Please?!

Did a mod just come in or am I hearing things?

FearDark wrote: »
    It's weed dude not meth. Jesus.

I would say myself that if he had dealt with it 3 years ago, with no previous convictions he probably would have got a suspended sentence. But the old beaks don't look too favourably on absconders. But he may still get a suspended sentence after spending a little bit of time on remand.
    If he can show some serious effort at a lesson learnt he might just be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

mikom wrote: »
    Did a mod just come in or am I hearing things?

Well hello you. No, you're just imagining it. No mods here!

SamAK wrote: »
    Well hello you. No, you're just imagining it. No mods here!

Howya. ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Caught with six grand worth of drugs and then does a runner....

jump%2Bout%2Bwindow%2Bgif%2B1.gif

His only chance was that the gardai forgot about the warrant or just didnt care anymore....But the judge now thats another story how can he reward your cousin after he insulted the court by running..... He doesnt have a hope in hell,its a shame if he truly changed his ways i wouldnt want to see him go down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

I would very much doubt he will do time. Space in prison is tight and judges want to reserve rooms for the more serious criminals.

A suspended sentence with community service makes sense to me. Is he enrolled in any employment/educational training? That might look favourable.

You ''very much'' doubt that some one caught with 6k worth of drugs wouldnt go to prison.... My god thats an optimistic line of thought, i hope you are right...

You ''very much'' doubt that some one caught with 6k worth of drugs wouldnt go to prison.... My god thats an optimistic line of thought, i hope you are right...

6k hash, first offence does all the right things, would expect a suspended sentence.

infosys wrote: »
    6k hash, first offence does all the right things, would expect a suspended sentence.

Does all the right things?? he ran to another country...

I have never heard of some one in this situation not going to jail if found guilty.

Does all the right things?? he ran to another country...

I have never heard of some one in this situation not going to jail if found guilty.

Did he run before or after the indictment was prepared. If it was post arrest but pre the service of the book of evidence, then he has a very good chance. Can I ask home many indictable trials and sentences you have run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Cant tell if serious or not.

Peddling misery with cannabis ? :confused:

Off licence owners deserve the death penalty then, (to use a cliche'd but valid argument)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

what ever about getting off light at the time for 6k after doin a runner he is facing charges for that too so be lucky to get off with 5yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I know a lad that was caught with a 9 bar and got 6 months in the joy for his troubles. and he done it the right way by pleading guilty and first offense.
    like your cousin skipped the country for three years which cant be good and as far as i know a warrant will stay live for as long as it takes.
    he just may except it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Why did he come back. Seems a bit daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

maybe he got kicked out of auz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement