Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France V Ireland – Stade de France, Paris. Sunday 4th March 15:00 RTE2 & BBC2

• 29-02-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wow. Wednesday and no offical match thread so here ye go... My first!

For Ireland it's very much a case of plus ca change, plus ca meme chose with an unchanged team from that which beat Italy last Saturday.

France have Medard ruled out through injury, replaced by Poitrenaud. Otherwise their squad remains unchanged from that which beat Scotland on Sunday.

The teams (for those who need to see them!):

Ireland:
    15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
    10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
    1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
    4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) (capt)
    6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:
    16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

France:

15 – Clement Poitrenaud – Toulouse
    14 – Vincent Clerc – Toulouse
    13 – Aurelien Rougerie – Clermont Auvergne
    12 – Wesley Fofana – Clermont Auvergne
    11 – Julien Malzieu – Clermont Auvergne
    10 – Francois Trinh-Duc – Montpelier
    9 – Morgan Parra – Clermont Auvergne
    8 – Imanol Harinordoquy – Biarritz
    7 – Julien Bonnaire – Clermont Auvergne
    6 – Thierry Dusatoir – Toulouse (Captain)
    5 – Yoann Maestri – Toulouse
    4 – Pascal Pape – Stade Francais
    3 – Nicolas Mas – Perpignan
    2 – Dimitri Szarzewski – Stade Francais
    1 – Jean-Baptiste Poux – State Toulousain

Replacements:
    16 – William Servat – Toulouse
    17 – Vincent Debaty – Clermont Auvergne
    18 – Lionel Nallet – Racing Metro 92
    19 – Louis Picamoles – Toulouse
    20 – Julien Dupuy – Stade Francais
    21 – Lionel Beauxis – Stade Francais
    22 – Maxime Mermoz - Perpignan

Now, have at ye!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

No shock there, but it's official, kidney is a moron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

That's a better post than any contentious comment about Conor Murrays continued inclusion, which might derail this thread, or result in it being closed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Well, at least we have a chance, it is a two-horse race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

That's a better post than any contentious comment about Conor Murrays continued inclusion, which might derail this thread, or result in it being closed :)
    Knowlege of where (and indeed how) to insert a circumflex and French grammar are not my strong suits. Much less so cedillas!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

Tox56 wrote: »
    And if we're lucky we might come second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Shergar vs Rodney's Reliant

Knowlege of where (and indeed how) to insert a circumflex and French grammar are not my strong suits. Much less so cedillas!

Je copy et paste!

The French eat horse, don't they :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Je copy et paste!

Mez Oui This is how we select teams in Irlande!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I can't say I'm surprised. It's getting more like the EOS days as the years roll on. The more people scream for a change to be made, the deeper the heels are dug in and the greater the change is resisted...

Perhaps if there were general choruses of 'Ryan and Reddan out', the situation might reverse itself.

Or not.

To be brutally honest, I'd kinda given up on anything other than a poor 6N. It looks more likely now, but there's always the possibility of a porcine V-formation going overhead. :rolleyes:

Good luck the U20s ;)

• Advertisement

Isn't it a weird situation we find ourselves in. There are a couple of players in particular, Ryan & Reddan, that have come on and to the naked eye, seem to have done much better than the players they replaced.

I can understand Kidney's line regarding you have to take into contention what the players had done before they arrived. But how then does playing well off the bench get you into the team? I mean, it's a bit of a weird situation really. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Particularly for Ryan - he's deposed O'Callaghan in Munster, but still cant get in.

I also find Kidneys argument very dodgy regarding Reddan/Murray - does the preference for a slow passing, indecisive scrum half getting caught up in rucks improve your overall chances of winning a game because he's a good defender? Are we not better off starting the guy who is clearly playing better at being a SH?

I'm prepared for the game, watching it through my fingers as usual. We'll hav a great last 20 minutes, I'm sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

dub_skav wrote: »
    The French eat horse, don't they :eek:

you have no idea how good it taste :D

ç ê easy ! Alt136 and Alt135 ( use keypad )

BoarHunter wrote: »
    you have no idea how good it taste :D

I'm sure it's delicious, but I'm not looking forward to my national team being the meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

From the last few games, I worry about what happens when we "switched off" as we did against Wales and Italy for periods, possibly for the lack of BOD but I dunno.

gameplan was shocking vs wales (kick it, go lateral, drift, dont attack their line...) better against Italy *(ie . what we did in the world cup, dismantle them)

We do seem to give france 30 points and then try to catch them, some kind of inside joke I'm sure, but I'm also pretty sure if we go in at half time 30 points down, we'll end the game 5 points down.

Lets pretend we're 30 points down to begin with! Unlike France who wouldn't bother, we see to love the challenge..

and selections.... bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I have to commend Kidney on his innovation here. You can just tell he pours over every facet of the game and sweats over who to select. I also agree that anyone who gets an Irish jersey as easily as Conor Murray should also be immune from being dropped. He's just given to much to Irish rugby, and to this nation as a whole to drop him now. Too many great memories and fine moments in his career, only BOD is fit to shine his boots.

I also think he brought his dusty old ethics book when he selected O'Callaghan. I mean, wouldn't it be such a shame if he went out in a fashion where he wasn't the best player for the position anymore? I think he needs another couple of seasons to mature and develop, and just leave him in the team until then, after all, his form may return. And if push comes to shove, we've always got a better option on the bench. We learnt from John Hayes that this is definitely the way to go.

I suppose the only shocks are that Danny Barnes and Simon Zebo didn't start, but seeing as this should be an easy enough game, it's right to hold them back as our secret weapon. I also think Ronan O'Gara should have started ahead of Sexton, as he can kick and Sexton can't (and it seems he has an attitude and refuses to play when wearing an Irish jersey) and we need to keep an eye on who we'll start in the next world cup now, and then just keep playing them until then, and it'll probably be fine, so Ronan is the man for me when it comes to that one.

All in all though, I'd say Kidney is a superb coach, really insightful, and we're lucky to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

FFS - I am disappointed and not surprised at the same time.

• I've followed Rugby a long time, love the game and have a reasonable sense of it. Like many on this forum however the amount of rugby I've played is fairly minimal.

For this reason - I have faith that the reasons behind the team selection are beyond my comprehension of the game.

Nothing to change now anyway so - COME ON IRELAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I've followed Rugby a long time, love the game and have a reasonable sense of it. Like many on this forum however the amount of rugby I've played is fairly minimal.

For this reason - I have faith that the reasons behind the team selection are beyond my comprehension of the game.

Hi Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Someone has hacked [Jackass]'s account.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Otacon wrote: »
    Someone has hacked [Jackass]'s account.

More likely the team selection has forced him to have a mental breakdown:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Seph503 wrote: »
    More likely the team selection has forced him to have a mental breakdown:p

download.jpg

Tamed by the Kidney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Surprised Servat didn't come back into the French starting lineup. I would have liked to see Peter O'Mahoney starting in place of O'Brien.

• Hi Declan.

If I was DC every sentence would start with "I suppose" and end with "like".

I would have also use an extra 100 words but made no actual point or comment...

I would have liked to see Peter O'Mahoney starting in place of O'Brien.

Why, without being vague; can someone for the love of God tell me how in clear, precise, definitive terms why this man should start ahead of SOB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Disaster but I expected just as much......what does Redden have to do to start? play for munster I guess

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Disaster but I expected just as much......what does Redden have to do to start? play for munster I guess

Give slow ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I have to commend Kidney on his innovation here. You can just tell he pours over every facet of the game and sweats over who to select. I also agree that anyone who gets an Irish jersey as easily as Conor Murray should also be immune from being dropped. He's just given to much to Irish rugby, and to this nation as a whole to drop him now. Too many great memories and fine moments in his career, only BOD is fit to shine his boots.

I also think he brought his dusty old ethics book when he selected O'Callaghan. I mean, wouldn't it be such a shame if he went out in a fashion where he wasn't the best player for the position anymore? I think he needs another couple of seasons to mature and develop, and just leave him in the team until then, after all, his form may return. And if push comes to shove, we've always got a better option on the bench. We learnt from John Hayes that this is definitely the way to go.

I suppose the only shocks are that Danny Barnes and Simon Zebo didn't start, but seeing as this should be an easy enough game, it's right to hold them back as our secret weapon. I also think Ronan O'Gara should have started ahead of Sexton, as he can kick and Sexton can't (and it seems he has an attitude and refuses to play when wearing an Irish jersey) and we need to keep an eye on who we'll start in the next world cup now, and then just keep playing them until then, and it'll probably be fine, so Ronan is the man for me when it comes to that one.

All in all though, I'd say Kidney is a superb coach, really insightful, and we're lucky to have him.

When I read that it automatically took on the voice of George Hook in my head for some reason. No offence meant or anything I'm just having one of those odd days. I initially tried to reply to your post using the report function, not sure what a mod would have made of me reporting a post because it made me think of George Hook. :D

More Lemsip !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

leftleg wrote: »
    Why, without being vague; can someone for the love of God tell me how in clear, precise, definitive terms why this man should start ahead of SOB.

I don't think SOB should be dropped for the French game but the reasoning SOB is not playing that well. He's not been terrible but he's been way below the level he can play that. And it's not just that he's not been carrying ball, he hasn't been contributing as much as he can around the field (although he remains very strong in defence).

That said Ryan and Reddan deserve first-team places much more than POM. I'd like to see POM get a game against Scotland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Really surprised Reddan isn't starting. And Ryan for that matter. I really really really really hope we win. But if we don't win I hope we lose badly rather than a heroic defeat which will give Kidney scope to justify is postively mystifying selections

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That said Ryan and Reddan deserve first-team places much more than POM. I'd like to see POM get a game against Scotland though.

Really i thought Scotalnd have a rather classy backrow; Denton looks really really mobile and quick; Rennie managed to rip ball out of at least 3 players grips (1 being hairydonkey iirc) and Barcley is well Barcley; another class act; I dont see Scotland as being easy at all; They gave all the other teams (France, England and Wales) a right good go and if we dont play well they will easily beat us.

Advertisement