Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 McDonalds/Topaz service station at Cashel

• 31-03-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how the McDonalds restaurant and service station is coming along off the M8 at Cashel? Has construction started yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

First I've heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

McDonalds Cashel really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Well, the story going is that Topaz and McDonalds are building a service area off junction 8 of the M8, across from the halting site. It's to catch all the Dublin-Cork traffic. Any sign of construction there? Planning permission was granted well over a year-and-a-half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

The site has been cleared, and some kerbing laid for the roadways but there has not been any construction for months now. It looks like it is on hold for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

it should be starting shortly from what I can gather. they are just getting the all necessary paperwork in order with the local authority before starting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

It'll all be built sectionally so they'll just appear with all the gear one day and hey presto McDonalds will be knocking out burgers in the shadow of the Rock before you know it.... The golden arches beside the Rock of Cashel.... Nice!

How long will it take to build once construction starts, I wonder? The McDonalds will do great business I'd imagine - it will catch all the motorway traffic plus local business probably from as far away as Cahir and Thurles even (Thurles is only a bit over ten mins away from Cashel now with the M8 after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well, November opening is confirmed according to Sunday business Post
    http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/topaz-planning-major-expansion-49868.html

That doesn't give them long to build it. Has construction started?

Topaz just got back to me there. Construction works are due to start within the next two weeks, and a 22-week build period is envisaged. It will open for sure by late November or early December, I am told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

No construction work on a new Topaz or McDonalds has started in Cashel from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Are texaco on the start of the old Dublin road and tesco the only filling stations in Cashel now or is there some out the Tipperary road?

Off topic 1. is Cashel Motor Works closing? Moving back to old premises? 2. What is being built behind Minouges furniture store?

Well it was supposed to start construction about 2 or 3 weeks ago. That's what Topaz told me when I rang them. I hope it starts quickly, as services are desperately required on the M8. It is absurd that the NRA never constructed any when the motorway was under construction. Typical Irish backwardness and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Still nothing going on regarding a Topaz or a McDonalds. Not sure what's going on, the site looks ready but no work being carried out...Perhaps they're considering a different location? In any case, I suppose if building start within the next week or so they could still be ready for the Christmas period.

@macjohn.......

I think all that's happening behind Minouges furniture store is they're building an extension to their existing one. It seems to be coming along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Any updates on this?
    I passed up the other day and thought there was a single rubber tyred jcb/new holland in the site when passing back down it was almost dark but took the exit and crossed over for a look and didnt seem there was anything done to the site?

macjohn wrote: »
    Any updates on this?
    I passed up the other day and thought there was a single rubber tyred jcb/new holland in the site when passing back down it was almost dark but took the exit and crossed over for a look and didnt seem there was anything done to the site?

I actually went in for a walk around the site today. You're right, a bit of work was done last week but the scale was TINY. About a hundred square metres of topsoil was scraped back. That's it. It's perplexing, as I was informed last summer the site would be operational by Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

I believe that it had gone for tender and should be signed and started very soon, My source is in a building firm that tendered for it and is very hopeful of getting the work.

beagga wrote: »
    I believe that it had gone for tender and should be signed and started very soon, My source is in a building firm that tendered for it and is very hopeful of getting the work.

Interesting... do you know what exactly is planned? And why it's taken so long to start?

Furet wrote: »
    Interesting... do you know what exactly is planned? And why it's taken so long to start?

Here's a copy of the signage as submitted to south tipp co co.

113.jpg

Why it hasn't started sooner I dont know.

Here's a copy of the signage as submitted to south tipp co co.

113.jpg

Why it hasn't started sooner I dont know.

Legend. I was just looking for the planning file online. Do you have a link?

• Advertisement

Legend. I was just looking for the planning file online. Do you have a link?

Could only find the signage/ topaz link
    http://www.southtippcoco.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=09734&LASiteID=0

The rest must be applied for under a different company name.

Could only find the signage/ topaz link
    http://www.southtippcoco.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=09734&LASiteID=0

The rest must be applied for under a different company name.

A fairly miserable drawing:

topaz.jpg

I must say, it will be a tiny site. I think it will be extraordinarily busy given local and M8 usage.

Found this
    and this artists drawing and plan were in the attached files

124.jpg

123.jpg

It seems to differ from yours Furet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

A fairly miserable drawing:

topaz.jpg

I must say, it will be a tiny site. I think it will be extraordinarily busy given local and M8 usage.

That's the drawing from the signage planning application. The has been a number of planning applications in respect to the site.

While you might consider the site quiet small, there are still 12 pumps for fuel and a further two for trucks, which would be amble by any service station standards for motorway service areas.

The project was tendered recently to building contractors and I am reliability informed will start shortly.

Not sure what the reason for the delay up to now was, however I would safely guess banks had a part to play in it, if going by recent experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

103.9 for diesel!! what a bargain!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    First I've heard of it!
    Same here!

Lots of false dawns on this thread, but from what I understand, construction should begin next week. Here's hoping.... This service area is badly needed on the Cork-Dublin route.

Construction has started. Lots of machinery on site. :)

Construction has started. Lots of machinery on site. :)

It'll be interesting to see how quickly this is built. There seemed to be a lot of the groundworks already done before construction started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 greatdepression

The plan is for the site to be ready for opening late April / Early May. I also belive the delay in building was down to funding issuses for the build.

Advertisement