Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tesco Phone' v 'Skype'

• 30-07-2006 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I'm sure most here have seen the Tesco phone advertised on tv. Apparently it's possible to make telephone calls for free using the internet as long as the person you're calling also has one of these phones.

I was quite interested in this, and I mentioned it to someone who said there is also a company offering a smilar service called 'Skype'.

I'm not really 'up' on this sort of thing, so would anyone know if it's better to go for one or the other, or would anyone be able to give a basic indication as to the pros/cons of using the Tesco phone compared to Skype?

Thanks for any info! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The technology in question is called VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and basically routes the call over the net.

Skype is one of the if not the leading VoIP services you can download their client software for free, you can also make video based calls with a webcam to other users.

I'm not really familiar with the Tesco VoIP products so I couldn't say with total certainty of how it stacks up to Skype.

But Skype definitely has the advantage in numbers given it's wide spread popularity & 'probably' has the better service too.

Found a review of the Tesco Internet phone service here, says it is fairly basic but works smoothly enough. Another review here paints a more negative picture as are some postings I have seen on other sites about the service so it could be bit of a hit or miss.

I'd would try Skype first and see how you get on with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thank you 8T8 for the many links!

I've read them and found them very informative. I suppose the advantage of the Skype phones are that more people have them.

I think I shall read a bit more about these Skype phones and discover the advantages/disadvantages of them. From the on-line articles which I read I discovered that there are other companies which provide internet phone calls, as well as Skype and Tesco, which I did not know about. Which also makes it even more confusing...!

Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm not familiar with the Tesco phones but Skype also allows you to dial out to normal phones in many countries for about €.02 a min. Mobiles cost more.

There are many providers. Another crowd www.voipcheap.com let you dial landlines in many countries for free. You do have to sign up though which means purchasing €10 credit but if you ring abroad a lot (and my missus is always on to New Zealand and Thailand for hours) then it'll save a lot of money.

Advertisement