Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco's false information on tickets

• 05-09-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Not a major issue but I was looking to see if anyone had similar issues with the way tesco advertise other competitors prices. I was in a tesco express yesterday to get a few things.I got a 2ltr carton of avonmore milk which had a big comparison sticker which stated"centras price 2.09.99- our price 1.99"
    The funny thing is I generally always get my milk in centra as its just down the road and it never has been over 2€. Now I know it's only 10c and im not furious or angry about what tesco have done here my main question is this just an example of many " false price differences" and also
    Is it legal to advertise false facts about competitors in order to generate a competitive advantage?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

skinny90 wrote: »
    Not a major issue but I was looking to see if anyone had similar issues with the way tesco advertise other competitors prices. I was in a tesco express yesterday to get a few things.I got a 2ltr carton of avonmore milk which had a big comparison sticker which stated"centras price 2.09.99- our price 1.99"
    The funny thing is I generally always get my milk in centra as its just down the road and it never has been over 2€. Now I know it's only 10c and im not furious or angry about what tesco have done here my main question is this just an example of many " false price differences" and also
    Is it legal to advertise false facts about competitors in order to generate a competitive advantage?
    Centra is a franchise which means that each individual centra or the vast majority are individual which can set prices differently.

Tesco didn't lie they just cherrypicked which Centra to refer to.

If you look at the small print at the bottom of the sticker it will probably say Centra price checked in xxx branch at dd/mm/yy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco will always compare themselves to the most expensive Centra (or other chain) around. This may not necessarily be your local Centra. Tesco simply want to make their prices look as attractive as possible. No false advertising here, just selective advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The normal price for Centra milk is €2.09/2litre but for well over a year they have a promotion in most stores where their own brand milk is €1.49/2litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They were sued by Aldi earlier this year for misrepresenting price comparisons. I'd never pay any attention to any of those comparison labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its typical crap from the big supermarkets, they have the advertising power to brain wash people into thinking that they are far cheaper then they actually are.

They get away with crap like this because most people are happy to believe the advertising campaigns.

I recently did a price check against my shop and dunnes and found we were cheaper for eggs, weetabix, ham, and a big difference in 10kg potatoes, the problem is that we cant compete in the advertising market with them and most customers refuse to believe that the smaller shop could possibly be cheaper then dunnes or tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

In Ballyfermot, Dublin nearly all the shops charge 99c including Centra for 2ltrs of milk except Tesco which are the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

When you think about it, Tesco spend loads of effort pointing out where they're cheaper than competitors on various products.

Does that mean they're dearer for all the products without a comparison sticker? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

The same happened to me earlier this week. I had just done a weekly shop in Aldi, and went to get a few items in Tesco. I had bought 16 cheese triangles (you know, the Laughing Cow's copycat) for 1.29€. As I was in the cheese aisle in Tesco, I looked up to a sign under their own brand cheese triangles "1.49€ - Aldi 1.62€". Now, I am pretty sure Aldi's weren't on special and it is the usual price. So Tesco are making up the prices there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi is to get €150k damages and its legal costs under a settlement of its action against Tesco Ireland in an alledged misleading Tesco in-store price advertising campaign.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1207/breaking27.html
    Aldi alleged Tesco, in its pricing campaign, failed to compare like with like, misstated the sale price of the relevant Aldi product or the Tesco product and failed to compare the relevant quantity of the Tesco product with an equivalent quantity of Ali product.
    Aldi Ireland had been writing to Tesco Ireland about the issue since May 2009 and did not accept Tesco's position that certain inaccuracies in price comparison, which Tesco said were due to "human error", did not amount to unfair commercial practices and created no material risk of consumer confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Regular milk is €1.69 (or is it €1.49, I cant remember). But anyway, Avonmore milk is a ripoff and comes from the same animal as the cheaper stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Regular milk is €1.69 (or is it €1.49, I cant remember). But anyway, Avonmore milk is a ripoff and comes from the same animal as the cheaper stuff!
    It does taste different...and it also stays fresher even after than the use by date...I have found that tesco own brand milk goes off far quicker...be it a good thing or not I'm not the person you want to meet who hasn't had his breakfast because the milks gone off two or three days before the use by date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

skinny90 wrote: »
    It does taste different...and it also stays fresher even after than the use by date...I have found that tesco own brand milk goes off far quicker...be it a good thing or not I'm not the person you want to meet who hasn't had his breakfast because the milks gone off two or three days before the use by date

^^^ same supplier!

I never took any notice of the comparason labels, they dont styock the same stock, there's no point in comparing.

The only good point from this is Aldi are donating their award to SVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

MOH wrote: »
    When you think about it, Tesco spend loads of effort pointing out where they're cheaper than competitors on various products.

Does that mean they're dearer for all the products without a comparison sticker? :)

I have seen a lot of shelf label in Tesco claiming to price match ALDI/LIDL, but also also never see one where they claims to the cheaper. The often claim to be cheaper than SuperValu/Dunnes.

We tend shop in both, first visit either LIDL or ALDI and buy what we can there, then a visit to either Dunnes or Tesco to get those items that LIDL/ALDI did not stock. Tesco/Dunnes do have a much more extensive range of goods that LIDL/ALDI.

Worst I've seen are 'we're cheaper' between Tesco and Spar, I should hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Well i was in there today and copped something to, they were selling these stanky candles for 3.49 or something, saying you save 25% and the original price was posted and slashed as 4.95, but last saturday I was in and seen the same candles on sale for 3.99.
    I know its not the same issue as you but just shows what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The €4.95 could have been the Recommended Retail Price. The three letters "RRP" could've been written on the sign in fine print but all too easy to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The €4.95 could have been the Recommended Retail Price. The three letters "RRP" could've been written on the sign in fine print but all too easy to miss.
    True but the point remains, the actual selling price, not offer price for it was 3.99. But yeah I didnt see an RRP on the sign either. I notice it often enough, though I dont usually shop in Tesco since Aldi opened nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ^^^ same supplier!
    My understanding was that the likes of avonmore milk is fresher because Tesco own brand etc purchase milk thats a little older thus get it for cheaper. If you look at the use by dates on the milk you will see that the avonmore milk has a couple of days over the own brand milk. Can someone confirm or correct his?

For me it doesn't matter, I still buy the own brand as it will be used up by the use by date anyway.

If you look at the use by dates on the milk you will see that the avonmore milk has a couple of days over the own brand milk. Can someone confirm or correct his?

Its true, but only as the delivery person knows he wont be caught for OCC (out of date) on the own brand. The branded sells slower so its a higher risk.

Advertisement