Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI-Grant Applications Open for 2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stephenr95

Hi i applied as a first year bar student in Ait
    I applied to susi in August sent in my documents and FCA form
    and still no word from them anyone got any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Stephenr95 wrote: »
    Hi i applied as a first year bar student in Ait
    I applied to susi in August sent in my documents and FCA form
    and still no word from them anyone got any advice

Bombard them, politely,with calls and emails. At this point making a nuisance of yourself seems like the only way to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kay09

Hi,
    I'm a third year, heading into my fourth year of a degree. In first year I applied for a grant as a dependent candidate, but have moved out of home mid- second year. I have put myself through a gruelling 3 years with no parental assistance, working 24hours every weekend on top of full time education, but I can't do this anymore due to sheer exhaustion threatening my academic work. I did apply via SUSI recently, but I read on this thread that they only deal with first years?
    So, are we saying here that I am not entitled to ANY financial assistance from the government because I moved out of home at the age of 30 and mid way through my college course??

Hi Kay.
    As far as I know, for the purposes of the grant you retain the student status you start with for the duration of your course. In other word if you started as a mature dependent candidate you are assessed as a mature dependent candidate for the whole of your degree irrespective of changes to that status. I would suggest you check it out further with SUSI though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi Kay.
    As far as I know, for the purposes of the grant you retain the student status you start with for the duration of your course. In other word if you started as a mature dependent candidate you are assessed as a mature dependent candidate for the whole of your degree irrespective of changes to that status. I would suggest you check it out further with SUSI though.

This is correct - I can dig out the information on it later for you Kay

Kay what I would suggest is speaking to your student union welfare officer - you might be able to apply to the student assistance fund through the college but speak to the welfare officer and see if they can help you out

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kay09

Have just called SUSI and yes it apparently is correct. This seems ludicrous! I can't fathom a reason behind it. My parents no longer live in Dublin, and the girl told me on the phone that this does not mean that I can change my status to independent, which seems a bit contradictory, as it is a blatant change of circumstances where I can no longer physically live with them!
    The girl on the phone, although she knew I lived at home before starting college, told me (in not so many words) that if there was any way to prove that I was in fact living AWAY from home on 1st October before starting the course then I should reapply using another e-mail address (..in other words, lie). It appears that the only way to get financial assistance in this country is to lie about your circumstances, give false addresses etc. I am very disheartened. I will speak to the welfare officer in college, however, I'm sure there will be someone in the queue before me spinning a far more impressive lie than my true circumstances!
    Anyway, that's the rant over, and not aimed at anyone on this forum by the way! Thanks very much paperclip2 and mangosalsa for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As I said Kay the Student assistance fund may be an option

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Kay09,

I am sorry that you feel so disheartened but those are the rules. Once you enter in to the system under a status you must have a three year gap before re-entering the system under a new status.

Also the agent was not advising you lie. If you could prove that you live independently before starting the course then you should have originally been an independent.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Kay09 wrote: »
    Anyway, that's the rant over, and not aimed at anyone on this forum by the way! Thanks very much paperclip2 and mangosalsa for your advice.

Sorry it worked out like that for you Kay. But really do try the Student Assistance fund. You have a genuine need for help given the change in your circumstances. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement