Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British Telephone Boxes in the Republic

• 06-01-2012 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

As a fan, and former collector, of old British Telephone Boxes I am constantly surprised at their continued appearance in different parts of the Republic. The latest to come to my attention is located at Johnnie Fox's Pub in the Dublin mountains - see below. This unfortunate example is displayed in a totally unauthentic colour scheme which makes the whole point of its display very puzzling. Why go to the trouble of acquiring an iconic British Telephone Box and then paint it up like a freak show? Why not paint over all the enamel signs etc. on display and alter them too?

K6%2Bat%2BJohnnie%2BFoxes%2Bpub.jpg

Anyway, a number of these K6 boxes were imported over the years by film companies, as well as private individuals, and I would be grateful to hear of any other sightings. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When I saw the thread title, the first thing I thought of was Johnnie Foxes!

Unfortunately the only other "Overseas" one I am aware of is the one in Tom Jones' garden in California. Apparently it is the one from the end of the street he grew up on and had his first kiss in it. He purchased it when BT swapped it for a modern one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

There use to be one in the Black Raven Pub in Skerries in the late 1990s beside the toilets but I don't think it survived the refit when the toilets became the kitchens for the Mexican restaurant. I haven't been in the pub in years so it may have returned in one of the many refits since.

I would say any surviving ones are in Orish Country museums or the Diddly Orish pubs. You might have better feedback if the Cat. mods allow you to post this thread across the regional forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

There is a red phonebox at the Bloody Stream in Howth.

I have always wondered whats the attraction with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

British (red) phone boxes seem like a common garden ornament up north. There's a place outside Omagh on the road to the Folk Park that has a load of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

CDfm wrote: »
    There is a red phonebox at the Bloody Stream in Howth.

I have always wondered whats the attraction with them ?

The interest is in both terms of heritage and design. I know that in Architecture the design by Giles Gilbert Scott is studied. It based quite stringently on the golden mean principles which is timeless (The same principles were used in ancient Rome and Greece). I think that K2 design were the most famous.
    With regard to heritage I guess they are alot more attractive than the type of aluminium kiosks that replaced them. It could be worth seeing how the design came to be used in Ireland as the classic design as per Judgement days OP came post independence. Were these boxes used in Ireland or are examples all imported. If so what is the story on the Irish Kiosks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As far as I can remember the Irish ones were made of concrete with a wooden door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The interest is in both terms of heritage and design. I know that in Architecture the design by Giles Gilbert Scott is studied. It based quite stringently on the golden mean principles which is timeless (The same principles were used in ancient Rome and Greece). I think that K2 design were the most famous.
    With regard to heritage I guess they are alot more attractive than the type of aluminium kiosks that replaced them. It could be worth seeing how the design came to be used in Ireland as the classic design as per Judgement days OP came post independence. Were these boxes used in Ireland or are examples all imported. If so what is the story on the Irish Kiosks?

From an earlier thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64771479

phoneboxes002.jpg

Sadly the Republic missed out on the attractive cast iron K2 and K6 boxes due to Independence and any south of the border have been privately imported.

The quite attractive, but less serviceable, concrete and timber variety illustrated below were the Irish equivalent to the K6. This pic shows an Irish box in the poor livery that they carried in their declining years. They proved hard to keep clean and are associated by most people with the chronic telephone system that we had to put up with well into the 1980s.

ghp_pkl005187.jpg

As for why anybody would want to collect them......:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_iTZ4eVlnGmrMeLS6yrGbYUlbpVXvF1yDkYRQgsu5s_v3DX_woA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm sure I passed one in a garden in Rathcoole a year or so ago but can't remember if its an Irish one or UK one.

ghp_pkl005187.jpg

Were they yellow and green at one stage ?

This one is pretty well authentic in appearance. John Hinde postcards are probably the best source. The later blue and white 'ice cream van' livery was awful IMO. :D

365294-irish-telephone-box.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

dublin-post-box.jpg

The history of the pillar post box…

The man credited with inventing the first pillar post box is the novelist Anthony Trollope - who was a postal surveyor in Ireland in the mid 1800s.

In Britain some 198 rare examples of early pillar-type letter boxes are preserved as part of the national heritage.

Three years ago English Heritage and the Royal Mail celebrated the 150th anniversary of Trollope’s invention and outlined a scheme to protect the 115,000 letter boxes as classic icons of British design.

The green Irish post boxes are in fact more historically authentic than the current red ones in Britain.

All British boxes were originally green and only went red in 1874 after problems with visibility.

There was a change in World War II when the tops of some boxes in Britain were painted with yellowish-green detection paint that changed colour in the event of a gas attack.

The plinths of some boxes were also painted white to aid movement on unlit wartime streets.

In Ireland over a fifth of about 4,675 post boxes still in use throughout the country are pre-1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

There is (last time I looked) a British phone box in the middle of Kinsale painted green. At junction of Pearse/Emmett St. it can be seen on Google Earth.

There are still real Irish ones at; Clonakilty Model Railway Village, Castletownsend, in Clonakilty itself, junct of Ashe/Rossa St. and Timoleague.

And here it is, doorless, meaningless colour scheme and just another bit of urban clutter - why? :confused:

KINSALE%2BK6.JPG

A convenient urination area on the way back from the pub?

The two dreadful P+T exhibits at the Clonakilty Model Railway Village both painted in some 'makey-up' colour scheme thought up by somebody on drugs? :(

telefon.jpg

Didn't like the set-up at Clon much. Charged me top dollar and didn't even run the bloody trains :(
    0/10 for effort.

Slightly off topic but I just came across this British K1 type phone box preserved in Foxrock, Co.Dublin - is it still there? I think there's something similar on Dawson Street.

K1%2BFOXROCK.JPG

k1%2Bpart%2B2.JPG

dmcronin wrote: »
    Didn't like the set-up at Clon much. Charged me top dollar and didn't even run the bloody trains :(
    0/10 for effort.

Don't get me started about Clonakilty. :D

Don't get me started about Clonakilty. :D

A black pudding fan I see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

With regards to phoneboxes. I came across this one today on National Library's Flicker stream:

From the Eucharistic congress in 1932
    6734992549_34f54177e1_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/6734992549/in/photostream/

• Advertisement

Fantastic pic - I've never seen anything that old relating to the P+T boxes before. :)

Fantastic pic - I've never seen anything that old relating to the P+T boxes before. :)

It's a great stream they have over 700 photos on it and seem to upload a new one everyday. Fair number of railway ones that you would be interested, such as one of demolition of Clones railway station, Last train in Harcourt street station etc.

They are on "The Commons" which basically means the photos are released with "no known restrictions".

Anyways back to P&T it does look like it's a completely wooden P⁊T box as oppose to later concrete ones. So perhaps ye are looking at the "origin of the species" there. ;)

Hah I see the photo today is from 1929 you can see a phone box on the left (man sitting on roof) which isn't like the P⁊T boxes (as shown in 1932 photo) -- my guess is it looks like the postbox from Foxrock above (K1)

6753980363_6c2f706326_z.jpg

Here's a link to the full size image: (2477 x 1890)
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6753980363_dd9743f19c_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DaithiK89

Just came across this thread. I know its old but if anyone is still looking for them I saw a few in different pubs in Dublin. The Brazen head, Baggott in and the foggy dew all have one. Think theres a a good few more about. Burke Joinery make them and heres the website for them if anyone is still interested. They are very nice looking especially compared to the ones above www.irishtelephonebox.ie

Also heres the twitter name. Has a few more recent photos. IrishTelephoneB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

You might have trouble fitting into the smaller ones...

Very nice but not British and wildly expensive - even the miniature one. :(

I know the lads who make them. The price on the website is going to be changed for all the models, that was just the start off one as they have gotten the cost down in making them. Also was told that everything is negotiable so if you were interested I would ring up and see what the best deal you can get is. They really are nice. Also british ones just google them. Theres a good few places in england that do them. Generally between 1500 and 2000 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IanFarnan

I have just restored one if anyone wants to see it. ONe In Johnnie Foxes is an Engleis one painted greeen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

There used to be a beautiful old one on Dawson Street; not sure which passport it travelled under, though.

Advertisement