Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords coming to Galway

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

aj23 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has heard anything back about interview , was hopeing for a call back .
    Same as you i was hoping for a call back but got nothing i send mine off a good few weeks ago so i doubt ill be hearing anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Galwayshark1

I got an interview about two weeks ago. But haven't heard back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's opening December 10th.
    Much excitement - our progression to emulate a UK high street continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's opening December 10th.
    Much excitement - our progression to emulate a UK high street continues

Fair enough.

But you try being female and going into one of the existing motor factors around Galway. All you get is an ignorant, disinterested, chauvinistic attitude that is, for the most part, nothing short of neanderthal; they make it very clear, even if you do know what you're talking about, that this is a mans domain and you as a woman are unwelcome. And if they're not chauvinistic, they are patronizing(yes thank you, I do know that the 'little numbers' on the outside of a tyre indicate it's size; moron). It's the same in the majority of local builders providers also, apart from McDonaghs.

So I'm welcoming Halfords, it means I can go buy my oil and my antifreeze and my bulbs and my wiper blades and all the other little bits our cars might need without having to grovel for it, or endure prehistoric 'cars aren't for women' attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

MR - I see where you're coming from.

The thing I hate about motor factors in this part of the country (or world) is that everything is behind the shelf.

When i'm looking for a part I know EXACTLY what i'm looking for, unlike the chap behind the desk. I'm sick of the amount of times I need to send back an item (while i'm at the desk) or go behind the desk to pick out exactly what I need.

At least when you order online you nearly always get what you wanted as its the exact part number.

Halfords will be a welcome by me. I prob won't buy much (unless i'm stuck) but its nice to be able to go in and pick up the basic things (filters etc.) yourself rather than having to have someone get them for you (I think sometimes people forget that its their job to do this in Motor Factors)

They probably won't hinder any local motor factors as their prices are guaranteed to be higher (Halfords) and I can't see much 'trade' accounts being used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

But you try being female and going into one of the existing motor factors around Galway.

Believe me, your experiences would be no better as a bloke. Unless you're actually 'in the industry' you get the same patronising responses, gender aside.

A while back I was looking for a particular item, and because I used a term slightly different from that known to the bloke behind the counter, I got "a what?!?" as my response, accompanied by the sort of look you might give to a dog**** stuck to your shoe.
    Needless to say, he didn't get my business, and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 harmrabb

You should try the Carparts warehouse in Liosban. The staff there are great and don't make you feel like an idiot. Prices and range of stuff are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Is it still opening this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

At least all the Halfords products will have price stickers on them. I hate it it when nothing is priced & you have to ask - you end up wondering if you have been charged the same as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll have a look anyway. Sure there's always something that the others doesn't have.
    It'll probably be like KFC, jammers the first 2 weeks and then the novelty dies off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Don't know if it is by design or coincidence but B&Q have just standard stocking a big range of spanners, sockets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Halfords is a rip-off across the board, theres nothing in there you wont find cheaper somewhere else in town, will keep an eye on it for deals but apart from that their prices are a joke in their Irish branches.

Advertisement